HiFiMAN RE-600 Review
Dec 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #91 of 218

Yeah haven't noticed a lot of death metal fans on this board. 

I'd agree, listening to these made me feel pretty damn good about the RE-600s, they just seem to reproduce the sound effortlessly and in a bit less fatiguing way. I'd say they absolutely give the SE846s a run for their money while being much cheaper. 

this. i like how they pair with my DX90

i also tried the 846 at a hi-fi meet and i didn't get any 'god damn these are awesome' feeling - instead i thought 'these cost 1000$' ? overpriced iems for people with too much money to spent, imho.

only drawback i can see in the RE-600, is the cable but i am being extra careful - and for 199$ i am very,very happy with the sound they produce.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #92 of 218

this. i like how they pair with my DX90

i also tried the 846 at a hi-fi meet and i didn't get any 'god damn these are awesome' feeling - instead i thought 'these cost 1000$' ? overpriced iems for people with too much money to spent, imho.

only drawback i can see in the RE-600, is the cable but i am being extra careful - and for 199$ i am very,very happy with the sound they produce.

Yeah I will say the Shure's build quality inspires more confidence and they do have replaceable cables but the RE-600s aren't really going to see too much wear and tear. I'll take the sound quality and much lower price any day.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #93 of 218
you should listen to some Prince - after all you live in the city where he comes from
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #96 of 218
  HEard these are great, need to listen to the treble on these

they are not treble monsters , but they are very balanced without any obvious bumps

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #98 of 218
  Hi, and thanks for the in-depth review!
Are you familiar with JVC's HA-FX 850, and if so, do the 600s best them in your opinion?
Thanks!

I have both. Very different iems all around.
FX850 have much more presence in lower meds frequencies and sound quite a lot fuller like columns speakers versus bookshelf speakers for the Re600. Both are fairly natural sounding in their own ways but the Re600 are a tad sweeter and more midcentric to me.
FX850 can overwhelm me at times in the bass department (only with electronic music with repetitive bass drum pounding)
Comfort wise, the Fx850 are so-so (no running with these, walking and slow-mo activities at best)... While the Re600 are simply the most comfortable and discreet iems I know of.
As a daily commuter, the Re600 is always an easy pick for me despite the extra fun the FX850 has to offer.

Dec 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #99 of 218
  I have both. Very different iems all around.
FX850 have much more presence in lower meds frequencies and sound quite a lot fuller like columns speakers versus bookshelf speakers for the Re600. Both are fairly natural sounding in their own ways but the Re600 are a tad sweeter and more midcentric to me.
FX850 can overwhelm me at times in the bass department (only with electronic music with repetitive bass drum pounding)
Comfort wise, the Fx850 are so-so (no running with these, walking and slow-mo activities at best)... While the Re600 are simply the most comfortable and discreet iems I know of.
As a daily commuter, the Re600 is always an easy pick for me despite the extra fun the FX850 has to offer.

Thank you for the comparison!
I have the 850's and love them, but the treble is a bit "treblesome" at times, so if the re600's are more neutral that's great.
They won't be used jogging anyway... mainly during tv shows my wife watches that I don't like (Hell's Kitchen, etc.) haha...

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #100 of 218

Thank you for the comparison!
I have the 850's and love them, but the treble is a bit "treblesome" at times, so if the re600's are more neutral that's great.
They won't be used jogging anyway... mainly during tv shows my wife watches that I don't like (Hell's Kitchen, etc.) haha...

they are balanced across the sonic spectrum , with the mids a bit more pronounced/sweet/forward

the bass is tight and robust without being overpowering and the highs are not extra trebly (i could use a tad more crispiness)

if you are not a die-hard treblehead , and you like balanced sound with very nice soundstage you will probably dig them

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #101 of 218
Thanks a lot! I already have them on order, and will sell the ones that I like lesser of the two on usaudiomart.  I'm hoping I'll like the re600 more, because I could get more money for the hafx 850!

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #102 of 218
so , what tips do you like best ? i used some stock ortofon EQ5 tips but something was not completely satisfactory ,so i changed to the normal stock bi-flanges from Hifiman re262/272

i feel like it expands the soundstage even more , evens out the mids and adds an extra bit of air in the highs.

are there any other tips that you feel they go well with the re600 ?

cheers

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #103 of 218
I just got mine today and am enjoying them immensely as I type!
It'll be a tough choice between these and JVC's ha-fx850.
I like that the re600 has flatter treble, but it needed a little boost in the bass department (just up to 3 on my fiio x3 instead of 2).
Does anyone know, by the way, if the trs adapter is also comprised of silver coated wire? It seems that it would defeat the purpose if it weren't.
I'm using the big double-header tips by the way. The small single headers that came installed gave it a bit of a tinny sound with less bass.
Yes, as Joni Mitchell plays "Song for Sharon" these are sounding like they may be equal to or even better than the JVC's.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #104 of 218
  I just got mine today and am enjoying them immensely as I type!
It'll be a tough choice between these and JVC's ha-fx850.
I like that the re600 has flatter treble, but it needed a little boost in the bass department (just up to 3 on my fiio x3 instead of 2).
Does anyone know, by the way, if the trs adapter is also comprised of silver coated wire? It seems that it would defeat the purpose if it weren't.
I'm using the big double-header tips by the way. The small single headers that came installed gave it a bit of a tinny sound with less bass.
Yes, as Joni Mitchell plays "Song for Sharon" these are sounding like they may be equal to or even better than the JVC's.

re-600 get better with some more hours on them , so give them some more playing/burn in

i also like the small bi-flanges but i can not recall if they are included in the re600 pack or i got them from previous HFM iems i had

Dec 13, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #105 of 218

re-600 get better with some more hours on them , so give them some more playing/burn in

i also like the small bi-flanges but i can not recall if they are included in the re600 pack or i got them from previous HFM iems i had

Are the bi flanges the ones that I'm using, that look like the old rubber ear plugs, with two bowl shaped flanges on one central tube?
They came with my 600's.  There were two sets of them, both the same size, in the box the earphones were in.
Y'know what though? After finding how much I dig the sound of these tips on the re600, I tried them on the JVC hafx 850 and they're even better so I think my preference is the JVC's, although the re600 is a close second. Besides I have the woodied JVC's that go well with my woodied Grado headphones and wooden-based turntable. More organic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back