HiFiMAN RE-272 Review
Jul 30, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 489

Quote:
Hi Mark, nankai said re272 is comparable to $1000 customs, any comment on this?

blink.gif
x2

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #19 of 489

Quote:
Shame the 272s are focused more on the treble and analytical side than the sheer musicality of the 262s - was looking to upgrade but dont think I'll bother now, and spend the cash on something else.

By the way, UK head-fiers can get the 262s for only £114 from AmpCity  at the moment:
http://www.ampcity.co.uk/brands/hifiman/head-direct-hifiman-re-262-noise-isolating-in-ear-headphones.html

Which is an absolute steal if you ask me - as someone who's ended up with the 262 after a fairly lengthy journey through high end iems costing 3 times that amount, I'd say the 262s are about the best value IEM on the market.  Love 'em to bits.

Of course, I'd also love to test out the 272s too, but if Mark says he prefers the 262s, I'm pretty sure he's on the money.

well "I" prefer the 262 as it has a a sound signature that is more to my tastes, i like a rich middy sound more that i like a trebbly one.  honestly though the 3 top end HiFiMAN things are all fantastic (252/262/272) all great value too.

if push came to shove though id probably have to say the 272 is technically the best of them, it really is incredible.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #23 of 489
I don't mind frequency response focus as long as the presentation of the note is well represented, i.e. good dynamic range, good decay, good texturing/articulation of details, even intensity, etc.  We can always EQ things to suit our preference in response, but we have little control over how notes are fleshed out by the earphone.  This is simply a byproduct of the driver design, and we have minimal influence over this.

I've used a number of the Hifi-man products including the early RE0, the RE-Zero, the RE252, and RE262.  I did not like the RE0 for its short decay and low dynamic range.  Apparently it was changed later on in some way, but I've never used a newer version.  I really liked the RE-Zero which had good dynamics, good note texture, and was pretty even in presentation.  For $99 it's an awesome product that's really natural and really well balanced.  The RE252 offers really high clarity and an incredibly well balanced presentation.  Texturing is great, but it just falls a little shy in dynamic range.  The RE262 really hits the dynamic range out of the park which was great to see coming from the RE252, but it lost texture and decay making low frequency notes very thin despite retaining actual sensitivity.  High frequencies lacked raw energy like the RE252 but again had the sensitivity.  the RE262 is likable and awesome in terms of dynamics, but the thin note and low high frequency intensity really made it colored and midcentric versus the much better balanced RE252.  I really wished and still wish the RE272 is an evolution of the RE252->RE262->X where one could retain the new dynamic prowess RE262 but gain the balance of the RE2525 and improve upon texture/decay of the note.  Hearing that it is treble strong doesn't bother me really.  Frankly, treble can be very hard to do right.  However, I would like to know how balanced the presentation is and how much low frequency presence and thickness is retained.  I can always EQ, so treble focus isn't a problem.  However, I can not magically add note thickness and texture if the driver simply doesn't function that way.

So, how is the note presented with the RE272?  How does it vary through the frequency range?

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #24 of 489

Quote:
But don't forget, treble is only 1/3rd of the music!
smile.gif

No, he said re262 is already comparable to the $1000 customs in mids and lows, but losing out in treble detail, re272 rectifies this weakness. I am not into iem by any means but the statement  holds any truth (giving the company's track record I assume it does), I'd give it a try.

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #25 of 489

Quote:
No, he said re262 is already comparable to the $1000 customs in mids and lows, but losing out in treble detail, re272 rectifies this weakness. I am not into iem by any means but the statement  holds any truth (giving the company's track record I assume it does), I'd give it a try.

I highly doubt that.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #26 of 489

Quote:
I highly doubt that.

It that an educated guess based on your experience of RE272, of any of the RE series, or of your experience with IEM in general, or are you just carrying over the same tone from the several HM801 discussion from the portable forum? If it is the later, then I don't think it is particular useful for this discussion. If it is not, my apology and please continue to do what you do.

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #27 of 489

Quote:

It that an educated guess based on your experience of RE272, of any of the RE series, or of your experience with IEM in general, or are you just carrying over the same tone from the several HM801 discussion from the portable forum? If it is the later, then I don't think it is particular useful for this discussion. If it is not, my apology and please continue to do what you do.

Doubt:  to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe.

I don't need to have experience with any equipment to doubt that it's better or worst than another.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #29 of 489

Quote:
I don't need to have experience with any equipment to doubt that it's better or worst than another.
wink.gif

True, but doesn't that apply to any equipment you haven't heard of but claimed by someone to be really good? As I said, not particularly useful.

Quote:
Hifiman has released the re242 and a new dac HIFIMAN EXPRESS HM-101 in china,both of them will be wallet friendly according to the review.

HM-101 is more of a lower end stuff by HF standard these days. They are not expensive but also not aiming toward audiophile user. Probably more for the Chinese user since many uses portable and less on computer-as-source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back