Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
May 19, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #3,481 of 3,507
Hi all! I'm a long (looong) time RE-400 user. They're by far my favorite IEM of all time. I bought them for the first time in 2016 (I think) and my little brother lost them. Bought them again in 2017/2018, and have been rocking the same pair ever since. I'm looking for some closed full-size headphones with a sound signature that's as similar to the RE-400s as possible (I freaking love how these sound, they've been my only earphones for the past 3 or 4 years). I'm considering the beyerdynamic DT770, but from what I've read they're not really similar to the RE-400. Any recommendations? They need to be closed because I work in an office with several people around me.

Hi, I'm not sure DT880 or the AKG are the equivalents of re400. These headphones seem to be more "clinical".

You might look for a used NAD Viso hp50 on ebay. I hear some similarity.
Both the NAD and the re400 are neutral-ish, but with a warm tilt.

May 19, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #3,482 of 3,507
Hi all! I'm a long (looong) time RE-400 user. They're by far my favorite IEM of all time. I bought them for the first time in 2016 (I think) and my little brother lost them. Bought them again in 2017/2018, and have been rocking the same pair ever since. I'm looking for some closed full-size headphones with a sound signature that's as similar to the RE-400s as possible (I freaking love how these sound, they've been my only earphones for the past 3 or 4 years). I'm considering the beyerdynamic DT770, but from what I've read they're not really similar to the RE-400. Any recommendations? They need to be closed because I work in an office with several people around me.
You want something more mid-centric than the DT770. I would add the Audeze Sine and Sony CD900ST to the previous recommendations made above.

May 19, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #3,483 of 3,507
Hi, I'm not sure DT880 or the AKG are the equivalents of re400. These headphones seem to be more "clinical".

You might look for a used NAD Viso hp50 on ebay. I hear some similarity.
Both the NAD and the re400 are neutral-ish, but with a warm tilt.
You are right. The DT880s are clinical. They are meant to be as they are studio monitors. That said, they are generally neutral with a Beyer peak.

I would not consider the RE400 as warm. I guess different hearing and tastes? The graph seems to indicate the RE400 being neutral-bright, echoing my experience.

RE400.jpg
DT880-Pro-32%CE%A9.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #3,484 of 3,507
You are right. The DT880s are clinical. They are meant to be as they are studio monitors. That said, they are generally neutral with a Beyer peak.

I would not consider the RE400 as warm. I guess different hearing and tastes? The graph seems to indicate the RE400 being neutral-bright, echoing my experience.

RE400.jpg
DT880-Pro-32%CE%A9.jpg
Thanks.
Well, I have noted Crinacle's labeling of these as bright, and was a bit surprised.
Most iems have that lift from upper mids to lower treble. The re400 has a gentle lift, slopes down after that for the most part, and on top of that has this slight bump in the mids.

Maybe its bass lightness makes people hear it as bright. To me it's neutral-warm and mid-centric.

May 19, 2021 at 8:54 AM Post #3,485 of 3,507
I also perceive my RE400i to be on the warmer side of neutral (actually not far from my InEar StageDiver SD-2 in terms of general tuning, although with a less dark tilt in the highs) and definitely not lean or bright. I guess insertion depth also plays a rather important role on the HiFiMan (I'm using mine with the largest included dual-flange silicone tips and with a rather deep insertion).

May 19, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #3,486 of 3,507
I also perceive my RE400i to be on the warmer side of neutral (actually not far from my InEar StageDiver SD-2 in terms of general tuning, although with a less dark tilt in the highs) and definitely not lean or bright. I guess insertion depth also plays a rather important role on the HiFiMan (I'm using mine with the largest included dual-flange silicone tips and with a rather deep insertion).
True, the tips change a lot the sound signature. Using them with any of the black tips, I also see them as slightly on the warm side.

May 19, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #3,487 of 3,507
Thanks.
Well, I have noted Crinacle's labeling of these as bright, and was a bit surprised.
Most iems have that lift from upper mids to lower treble. The re400 has a gentle lift, slopes down after that for the most part, and on top of that has this slight bump in the mids.

Maybe its bass lightness makes people hear it as bright. To me it's neutral-warm and mid-centric.

It is interesting how our hearing, tastes, fit, etc. influence so much with audio. There aren't too many absolutes. Pretty much everyone is always right. For example, people often complain about the Beyer peak. For the 990, I find it ghastly. For the 770 and 880, I am like, "what are people talking about!? The 880 and 770 just have a touch of brightness".

I am using stock silicone tips while powering off iPhone X and Apple dongle. I agree that tip choice might be swaying results. Looking at the graph of the RE400 maybe it is the bass lightness in addition to the peaks at 6K and 8K that are tweaking my ears and the 4K dip that is leading to warmth for others? Or maybe it is the signal chain differences?

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #3,488 of 3,507

Makes sense.
How much better are the SD-2?

May 19, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #3,489 of 3,507
Makes sense.
How much better are the SD-2?

I haven't compared them directly side-by-side or even remotely within a narrow-ish time frame, so any reply from me regarding this question would not be reliable at all. Sorry.

What I can definitely say, though:
  • The SD-2 have got the much better cable and are more ergonomic to wear; they isolate better as well.
  • The RE400i are some of the best tuned single dynamic driver in-ears when it comes to a natural neutral sound signature (other great examples would be the Fostex TE-02WP and Etymotic ER2SE). In terms of treble linearity and upper end evenness/realism, the Etymotic ER2SE are superior (since there's a bit of metallicness in the RE400is' upper highs), though (I've compared both side-by-side), and also generally more resolving and with a tighter bass response, although with less warmth and a tuning that is closer to lifeless/uncoloured neutral.
  • Since I perceive the ER2SEs' soundstage as larger and three-dimensional, I would assume that I would also perceive my SD-2 as superior when it comes to soundstage size, imaging precision and perceived three-dimensionality if I compared them to my HiFiMan, but as I said, this is just speculation as I haven't compared them directly.

May 19, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #3,490 of 3,507
I haven't compared them directly side-by-side or even remotely within a narrow-ish time frame, so any reply from me regarding this question would not be reliable at all. Sorry.

What I can definitely say, though:
  • The SD-2 have got the much better cable and are more ergonomic to wear; they isolate better as well.
  • The RE400i are some of the best tuned single dynamic driver in-ears when it comes to a natural neutral sound signature (other great examples would be the Fostex TE-02WP and Etymotic ER2SE). In terms of treble linearity and upper end evenness/realism, the Etymotic ER2SE are superior (since there's a bit of metallicness in the RE400is' upper highs), though (I've compared both side-by-side), and also generally more resolving and with a tighter bass response, although with less warmth and a tuning that is closer to lifeless/uncoloured neutral.
  • Since I perceive the ER2SEs' soundstage as larger and three-dimensional, I would assume that I would also perceive my SD-2 as superior when it comes to soundstage size, imaging precision and perceived three-dimensionality if I compared them to my HiFiMan, but as I said, this is just speculation as I haven't compared them directly.
Thanks. I guess that's why I opted for the ER2XR rather than the ER2SE :)

May 20, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #3,491 of 3,507
So, I've checked out a few of the suggestions you guys gave me and did some research of my own. I'm looking at:
- Sony MDR-C900ST
- AKG K371
- AKG K361
- Shure SRH840

Which one of them is most similar to the RE-400? From what I've read, my best bet would probably be the SRH840. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I checked out the Aeon Flow and the Audeze Sine, but they're both out of my price range. I'd like to spend $250 at most (including an amp, if it's necessary).

May 22, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #3,492 of 3,507
all are better than RE-400 tbh

SRH840 have light bass nice vocal treble, but MDR-CD900ST have sweetest vocal so might closest to RE400

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #3,493 of 3,507
The RE400 is the only pair of headphones I own that I do not need to EQ. What a legend.

Jul 8, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #3,494 of 3,507
So, I've checked out a few of the suggestions you guys gave me and did some research of my own. I'm looking at:
- Sony MDR-C900ST
- AKG K371
- AKG K361
- Shure SRH840

Which one of them is most similar to the RE-400? From what I've read, my best bet would probably be the SRH840. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I checked out the Aeon Flow and the Audeze Sine, but they're both out of my price range. I'd like to spend $250 at most (including an amp, if it's necessary).
Which one did you get in the end? My CD900ST is broken for a long time so I haven't heard it in a while but its tuning was flawless as far as I remember. Technically it was not so great though. If price is an issue, you could also take a look at the Monolith M565C. The tuning is outstanding for the price but you need aftermarket earpads.

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #3,495 of 3,507
Which one did you get in the end? My CD900ST is broken for a long time so I haven't heard it in a while but its tuning was flawless as far as I remember. Technically it was not so great though. If price is an issue, you could also take a look at the Monolith M565C. The tuning is outstanding for the price but you need aftermarket earpads.
I definitely second that, I have the m565c, replaced the earpads for the grey cloth and they are amazing, detailed, fast, and nice rumbly bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back