Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jul 8, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3,451 of 3,507
I just bought a cable-modded pair from hifinage.com for ₹2000 (about 27USD) in India. Didn't recieve it yet. I hope I made a good choice 😬. Can anyone run me through what I have to look out for and any mods I have to look for?

Thanks

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #3,452 of 3,507
I just bought a cable-modded pair from hifinage.com for ₹2000 (about 27USD) in India. Didn't recieve it yet. I hope I made a good choice 😬. Can anyone run me through what I have to look out for and any mods I have to look for?

Thanks
No mods needed. These sound great out of the box. Well almost... as they need at least 100 hours of break in to shine. I would also recomend you drive them with a dedicated DAP or a USB DAC as they will sound far superior and they scale very good with better sources.
With regards to tip options, Spinfits work great with the RE400/600. Just make sure hey sit as deep as possible in your ear canal so they create a good seal. For me the small (white) spinfits work best while I normally use medium-sized silicone tips with other iems. The Sony hybrid and the tips that come with Sennheiser TWS are good alternatives too.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #3,453 of 3,507
No mods needed. These sound great out of the box. Well almost... as they need at least 100 hours of break in to shine. I would also recomend you drive them with a dedicated DAP or a USB DAC as they will sound far superior and they scale very good with better sources.
With regards to tip options, Spinfits work great with the RE400/600. Just make sure hey sit as deep as possible in your ear canal so they create a good seal. For me the small (white) spinfits work best while I normally use medium-sized silicone tips with other iems. The Sony hybrid and the tips that come with Sennheiser TWS are good alternatives too.

Okay. Could you suggest any dirt cheap USB DACs for upgrades down the line? Would the apple adapter be enough lol, I heard it's solid. I'm also looking at FiiO A1 and Xduoo XQ-10 as an micro amp later. Those should be plenty to power this.

Jul 8, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #3,454 of 3,507
Okay. Could you suggest any dirt cheap USB DACs for upgrades down the line? Would the apple adapter be enough lol, I heard it's solid. I'm also looking at FiiO A1 and Xduoo XQ-10 as an micro amp later. Those should be plenty to power this.
I had the original Dragonfly back in the day (2014?) and with the RE400 was a match made in heaven! You should be able to get it used very cheap today.

Another good option should be the ibasso DC02.

If you can stretch your budget a bit you could get the FiiO BTR5 which is an amazing sounding device. It doubles as a Bluetooth receiver and USB DAC.

Other users might also want to chip in but what I've found is that, provided you feed these with clean strong power, they scale lot more than you would expect.

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3,455 of 3,507
The Final Audio E series complement Hifiman’s RE 400 and 600. I prefer the E2000 over the RE 400. The RE 600 is pretty much my ideal tuning for an IEM.

There are tons of models in the E series, which one would be more similar to the RE600 ? Im talking super flat response with lushious mids and absolutely no sibilance in the highs

Aug 18, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #3,456 of 3,507
Are they much better?
The 600s are a bit better than the 400, but since all prices have been reduced across the board, they are worth it for sure right now.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #3,458 of 3,507
Does anyone here actually prefer the RE-400 over the RE-600? Or am I the only one?

I guess I just don't hear what everyone else does.

I think the RE-400 is less fussy in terms of isolation requirements, less reliant upon finding the perfect tip, more natural and cohesive sounding, and more balanced. To my ears, the RE-600 feels clinical or something, like it sucks the life out of the sound.

I am probably in the minority on this issue.

I have had the RE-400 for years and love them, and I bought a pair of RE-600 assuming they would be all this and more in comparison to the RE-400. Boy was I disappointed.

I bought a pair Etymotic MK5 after the RE-600 and enjoyed those way more. More balanced, more engaging, and more detailed.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #3,459 of 3,507
Does anyone here actually prefer the RE-400 over the RE-600? Or am I the only one?

I guess I just don't hear what everyone else does.

I think the RE-400 is less fussy in terms of isolation requirements, less reliant upon finding the perfect tip, more natural and cohesive sounding, and more balanced. To my ears, the RE-600 feels clinical or something, like it sucks the life out of the sound.

I am probably in the minority on this issue.

I have had the RE-400 for years and love them, and I bought a pair of RE-600 assuming they would be all this and more in comparison to the RE-400. Boy was I disappointed.

I bought a pair Etymotic MK5 after the RE-600 and enjoyed those way more. More balanced, more engaging, and more detailed.
Never heard the RE600 but yeah the RE400 are so well balanced. I recently switched back to balanced armatures since the cable of my RE400 was starting dying after two years of daily use (not broken but small imbalance). For those looking for alternatives, I would like to mention the Fiio FA1. These are great and very similar in tone to the RE400, just slightly brighter in their stock form. The stock tips are not great but they work perfectly with any of the RE400 tips and almost match the RE400 timbre with better technical capabilities. I still warmly recommend the RE400, they're a steal at their current prince tag. When you think about it, all these entry-level iems are audiophile wonders. It's very hard to find similarly voiced full-sized headphones under the $1000 pricepoint.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #3,462 of 3,507
Lovely to hear. These things are dirt cheap now huh. I saw them go on sale for the price of a damn ZSTX in India.

I REALLY ****ing need to get a damn USB DAC for these, cause they sounded phenomenal on my brother's K20 Pro's HiFi DAC and I run a far inferior Realme (but hey, at least I got dolby :p). Going straight from my phone, I just absoloutely love how this thing plays out certain kinds of music. Cowboy Bebop's tracks are phenomenal on these. I have never in my life felt what a soundstage is, nor proper imaging (coming straight from a mi basics earphone which I used for over a year) and these just clicked. I hate that there's practically no bass and dolby/wavelet EQ only do so much. The K20's DAC had much better bass response, so I want to build something of that sort.

Can you guys suggest any music to listen to, specifically in this pair? I listen to a lot of anime music and crap like daft punk. Just explored portishead again with this pair and the Live tracks felt AMAZING. Same goes with other music with good instruments, I guess. This pair just does instruments so well. It's a bummer that it doesn't work as well with modern recorded music and busy tracks in general(imo). Hoping a dac would change things for me.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:47 AM Post #3,463 of 3,507
Lovely to hear. These things are dirt cheap now huh. I saw them go on sale for the price of a damn ZSTX in India.

I REALLY ****ing need to get a damn USB DAC for these, cause they sounded phenomenal on my brother's K20 Pro's HiFi DAC and I run a far inferior Realme (but hey, at least I got dolby :p). Going straight from my phone, I just absoloutely love how this thing plays out certain kinds of music. Cowboy Bebop's tracks are phenomenal on these. I have never in my life felt what a soundstage is, nor proper imaging (coming straight from a mi basics earphone which I used for over a year) and these just clicked. I hate that there's practically no bass and dolby/wavelet EQ only do so much. The K20's DAC had much better bass response, so I want to build something of that sort.

Can you guys suggest any music to listen to, specifically in this pair? I listen to a lot of anime music and crap like daft punk. Just explored portishead again with this pair and the Live tracks felt AMAZING. Same goes with other music with good instruments, I guess. This pair just does instruments so well. It's a bummer that it doesn't work as well with modern recorded music and busy tracks in general(imo). Hoping a dac would change things for me.
Same thoughts. I sold my setup, albeit a peasant one 😂 (shanling M2S, m1, & a fiio a3) for an Ibasso DC02 on my Note 8 Pro. Reason being it doesn't have any battery. I don't wanna stress myself out because a fkn battery is deteriorating & there is nowhere else to have it replaced. Phone battery meanwhile is very easy to get replaced at phone technicians in my country.

Anything with jazz, acoustic, & vocal tracks sound immaculate with these (both the re600s & 400). Welp, I even use it to listen to Hip Hop records & even EDM tracks & it still gets the job done - of course, YMMV.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #3,464 of 3,507
Same thoughts. I sold my setup, albeit a peasant one 😂 (shanling M2S, m1, & a fiio a3) for an Ibasso DC02 on my Note 8 Pro. Reason being it doesn't have any battery. I don't wanna stress myself out because a fkn battery is deteriorating & there is nowhere else to have it replaced. Phone battery meanwhile is very easy to get replaced at phone technicians in my country.

Anything with jazz, acoustic, & vocal tracks sound immaculate with these (both the re600s & 400). Welp, I even use it to listen to Hip Hop records & even EDM tracks & it still gets the job done - of course, YMMV.

Yep! Makes total sense. I don't like the idea of carrying multiple devices too. I'll just get a type c dongle dac of some sort and hope that I find something cheap that can drive an AKG K361BT (which I plan to purchase at the end of this month) too.

Oct 29, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #3,465 of 3,507
Ibasso DC03 is worth a look. Alread dual dac with around 87mw of output power.

Although I highly suggest that you wait first around this November as Shanling is about to release their own dac dongles.

FB_IMG_1603987720837.jpg
FB_IMG_1603987718725.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back