Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jan 6, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,686 of 3,507
It's probably just personal taste, but I've grown to love my 400s with electronic music like Daft Punk. The detail can be more enjoyable than bass heavy buds. I've also found that the Fiio X11 pairs great with them as it will add that little bit of low/mid lift. To be fair, I didn't feel that way when I first got them and most people probably need more bass and sound stage for that genre.

Lol yeah, I've grown to love these with just about every genre as well. They have such a clean sound with good transparency. No veil. You can hear so much more.

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #2,687 of 3,507
i got the Re 400 i love it but i feel like it has alot of treble and the bass is prefect not to much not to little and the vocals and nice. cant wait to hear them after burn in

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #2,688 of 3,507
are the fiio e11k good with this

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #2,689 of 3,507

It doesn't really need it, they're plenty efficient like most IEMs. I've got my Rockboxed Clip+ set to -24 dB volume even with ReplayGain on. Plenty of head room. If you have a less powerful DAP and like to crank the volume I can see the E11K helping you, high gain will about double your max volume.

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #2,690 of 3,507
  i got the Re 400 i love it but i feel like it has alot of treble and the bass is prefect not to much not to little and the vocals and nice. cant wait to hear them after burn in

surprisingly your findings differ from me, i actually think they're treble polite (good detail and articulate but definitely far from bright sounding) now i know bright sounding ( i'm using the sennheiser amperiors and the vsonic gr07BE both known for their bright treble),

i actually find the re400s a bit bass light, i'm no bass head by any means but they definitely are on the lighter end, good speed and great control and good texture, just missing a bit in the subbass.  despite what the measurements say!

i do agree with you that the vocals and the midrange is very nice, good dryness and clean and transparent without sounding cold, still enough warmth to them 

no amp is necessary

Jan 11, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,691 of 3,507
surprisingly your findings differ from me, i actually think they're treble polite (good detail and articulate but definitely far from bright sounding) now i know bright sounding ( i'm using the sennheiser amperiors and the vsonic gr07BE both known for their bright treble),

i actually find the re400s a bit bass light, i'm no bass head by any means but they definitely are on the lighter end, good speed and great control and good texture, just missing a bit in the subbass.  despite what the measurements say!

i do agree with you that the vocals and the midrange is very nice, good dryness and clean and transparent without sounding cold, still enough warmth to them 
no amp is necessary

What kind of genres are best with this iem

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2,693 of 3,507
What kind of genres are best with this iem

Acoustic music shows these at their best imho. Lots of detail to find in a warm sound.   

@smy1

@NebraskaX24 agreed acoustic music works great, soft rock i think is nice, pop is okay (needs a bit of a bass lift), i think ballads and classical are amazing on them as well, very clean and string instruments for classical music have nice tone to them as well but because of the more polite, or in this case a rolled off treble, this gives them enough detail and clarity without sounding "too much" 

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #2,694 of 3,507

@smy1

@NebraskaX24 agreed acoustic music works great, soft rock i think is nice, pop is okay (needs a bit of a bass lift), i think ballads and classical are amazing on them as well, very clean and string instruments for classical music have nice tone to them as well but because of the more polite, or in this case a rolled off treble, this gives them enough detail and clarity without sounding "too much" 

honestly these sound good with every genres even with electric music

Jan 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #2,695 of 3,507
  honestly these sound good with every genres even with electric music

Although these can do alright with some subgenres of electronic music, I disagree with most of what you've said. While they are without a doubt a quality set of earphones, they are not great all-arounders. I find that they suffer with hip hop/rap music, in particular. 

Don't get me wrong though, I love my RE-400s for what they are. In my mind, they are a great earphone for those curious as to what a more neutral sound signature is like. I, like many others, came from listening to bass-heavy, consumer-oriented earphones and these have been a perfect introduction into a more "audiophile sound." Owning the RE-400 has been an eye (and ear) opening experience for me, but I would not recommend them to everyone. Especially those that have no interest in making this type of thing a sort of hobby like we, here on Head-Fi, have.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,696 of 3,507
  Although these can do alright with some subgenres of electronic music, I disagree with most of what you've said. While they are without a doubt a quality set of earphones, they are not great all-arounders. I find that they suffer with hip hop/rap music, in particular. 

Don't get me wrong though, I love my RE-400s for what they are. In my mind, they are a great earphone for those curious as to what a more neutral sound signature is like. I, like many others, came from listening to bass-heavy, consumer-oriented earphones and these have been a perfect introduction into a more "audiophile sound." Owning the RE-400 has been an eye (and ear) opening experience for me, but I would not recommend them to everyone. Especially those that have no interest in making this type of thing a sort of hobby like we, here on Head-Fi, have.

+1

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,697 of 3,507

Very well said.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #2,698 of 3,507

agreed with the other posters above

very well said, they are a great little gem, not for everyone but thats okay *i can enjoy my re400s in my little corner here* hehe

Jan 14, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #2,699 of 3,507
I think it's really easy to get accustomed to the RE-400's bass, which why I think they're such great all-rounders. Sometimes I get used to it too much that when I switch to a moderately bassy earphones/headphones, they tend to sound too much for my ears.

But if you really need more bass, get amp with a bass boost function like the E10K. It's a mild bass boost but it makes the RE-400 tolerable for bass-heads.

Jan 14, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,700 of 3,507
  I think it's really easy to get accustomed to the RE-400's bass, which why I think they're such great all-rounders. Sometimes I get used to it too much that when I switch to a moderately bassy earphones/headphones, they tend to sound too much for my ears.

But if you really need more bass, get amp with a bass boost function like the E10K. It's a mild bass boost but it makes the RE-400 tolerable for bass-heads.

True. And true that re-400 can be tweaked with eq to have a lot of subbass. I'm listening on HM-700 and eq'ed a few notches  up at 50 Hz re-400b has more subbass than full sized momentum. And it does it without losing anything in mids and highs - amazing, I must say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back