Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Aug 15, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #2,268 of 3,507
I recently started looking into RE-600's and I have a couple of questions. I've seen some posts about strain reliefs breaking, and I'd like to know are they prone to break under normal usage (ie. commuting, cycling, travelling etc)? Secondly, there has been some talk about RE-800's. Are they likely to be released in the near future (within six months), and should I wait for them?

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #2,269 of 3,507
  I recently started looking into RE-600's and I have a couple of questions. I've seen some posts about strain reliefs breaking, and I'd like to know are they prone to break under normal usage (ie. commuting, cycling, travelling etc)? Secondly, there has been some talk about RE-800's. Are they likely to be released in the near future (within six months), and should I wait for them?

really ? is there any link/info ? wher did you see about it ?

Aug 15, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #2,270 of 3,507

really ? is there any link/info ? wher did you see about it ?

Just some forum talk (probably speculative). I don't know how often Hifiman pushes new products/revisions to the market, so I just asked if someone knew anything about it.
How's the bass on 600's? I was also looking into Grado GR10, but they're supposedly too ligh on the bass. I'm looking for something overall balanced, with a good kick on the bass. DITA Audio's The Answer and Sennheiser IE800 are also on my eye, but they're a tad more expensive.

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #2,271 of 3,507

Just some forum talk (probably speculative). I don't know how often Hifiman pushes new products/revisions to the market, so I just asked if someone knew anything about it.
How's the bass on 600's? I was also looking into Grado GR10, but they're supposedly too ligh on the bass. I'm looking for something overall balanced, with a good kick on the bass. DITA Audio's The Answer and Sennheiser IE800 are also on my eye, but they're a tad more expensive.

600 is a very nice iem , balanced and musical

it's my next purchase once my 262 break down (or i win some money)

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #2,272 of 3,507

I've heard nothing about this RE-800 :p  If you're on the go with a non-balanced source, I'd recommend the RE-600s.  HiFiMan has seemed to do quite a bit regarding build since the initial release.  One of the main things I saw while I was in Chicago was the change in headphone jack which should correlate to them lasting longer.  I haven't had any issues with mine since I got mine.  

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #2,273 of 3,507

I've heard nothing about this RE-800 :p  If you're on the go with a non-balanced source, I'd recommend the RE-600s.  HiFiMan has seemed to do quite a bit regarding build since the initial release.  One of the main things I saw while I was in Chicago was the change in headphone jack which should correlate to them lasting longer.  I haven't had any issues with mine since I got mine.  

Good to know, I'll go for the non-balanced version when I upgrade my iems, if I choose to go with the Hifiman's offerings. I took part in the Indiegogo project for funding the Light Harmonic's Geek Wave DAP, once its finished and shipped its time to upgrade.

Aug 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,274 of 3,507

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-re-600/reviews/11286

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #2,276 of 3,507
What's the build quality like on the RE-400? The left channel on my pair of RE-0s just went out and I don't want to be stuck with another ticking timebomb from Hifiman.

its okay, mines has been babied the entire time i had them.

Id be willing to sell mines to you if you'd be interested? Need money to fund my next set =)

Aug 25, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #2,278 of 3,507
Just thought i'd do a quick follow up on my RE-600 impressions. Have been using them for over a month now, but time and time again, I have been duly impressed by their performance. I feed them either with my iPhone 5 while on the go or the Hifiman HM-901 (balanced amp card) while i'm more stationary.

Theres just something really special about their sound signature, vocals are always so organic sounding, effortless but not "in your face" sounding. Vocals appear laid-back, which gives me the impression that i'm in a concert hall listening to a live performance. As an example, a month ago I went for Ben Howard's live concert, when I got back home, I listened to "Old Pine" through my HM-901, closed my eyes and I swear I was back at the concert hall again. Treble is clear and airy and completely free of sibilance, even on songs which I have heard sibilance from all my other headphones. 

Bass is quick, with just enough punch. Bass heads may complain as it doesn't give you that "thud" feeling, but coming from the Etymotics ER-4S, this is plentiful. 

Soundstage is truly the star of the show for me with the RE-600, especially when its running in balanced mode, which i'm sure Dr. Fang intended them for. Running them off the HM-901 for the first time, I immediately noticed an "out of head" sound. Often listening to IEMs such as my ER4S and Westone W40, you sort of feel that the sounds are confined in a bubble within your head. But not for the RE-600, it extends beyond your outer ears. My only other headphones which are able to do this are the JH Audio Roxanne's, but they cost nearly 2.5x the RE-600. 

If there's anything I can complain about them, there is some slight bass bleed when the song gets crowded, but this occurs rarely.

I would easily recommend this pair of IEMs to anyone. It definitely punches way above its price ($400), at some points even coming dangerously close to my JH Audio Roxanne in terms of performance. IMO, it flat out beats my Westone W40, which costs about $150 more and has 4x BA drivers.  

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #2,279 of 3,507

Soundstage is truly the star of the show for me with the RE-600, especially when its running in balanced mode, which i'm sure Dr. Fang intended them for. Running them off the HM-901 for the first time, I immediately noticed an "out of head" sound. Often listening to IEMs such as my ER4S and Westone W40, you sort of feel that the sounds are confined in a bubble within your head. But not for the RE-600, it extends beyond your outer ears. My only other headphones which are able to do this are the JH Audio Roxanne's, but they cost nearly 2.5x the RE-600. 

You are describing just Havi B3 Pro I sound to me, only difference the bubble should be a little larger at B3 I think.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #2,280 of 3,507
Does anybody know if the cable/connector in RE-400s are repairable? My left earpiece started to cut out (after about 4 months of use...) and I’d like to resolder the cable and replace the minijack connector by myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back