Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jan 25, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #2,146 of 3,507

It's hard to find a definitive figure for the J3's output impedance, though it would appear from a bit of reading that it should be below 2 ohms, possibly closer to 1.5. Looks like all should be well.

Looks like I might be finally putting in an order for some new IEMs. Not before time - I am growing weary of my HJE900.

From what I've read I expect the RE-600 will sound a bit more like my old e-Q7s, though hopefully a touch more energetic.

I guess the best advice is to try it on your rig and see what you think of it. The bass and mids are absolutely incredible, coupled with a non-offensive treble makes it a winner in my book. Images are dense and concrete too, very nice. Similar to my ER4S, but with a warmer more analog tone. I'm pretty sure HifiMan voiced the RE-600 and HM-901 with balanced card to sound like his $30k reference turntable, and it definitely sounds the part 
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,147 of 3,507
  I guess the best advice is to try it on your rig and see what you think of it. The bass and mids are absolutely incredible, coupled with a non-offensive treble makes it a winner in my book. Images are dense and concrete too, very nice. Similar to my ER4S, but with a warmer more analog tone. I'm pretty sure HifiMan voiced the RE-600 and HM-901 with balanced card to sound like his $30k reference turntable, and it definitely sounds the part 
biggrin.gif

Good stuff. Are you using stock tips?

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #2,148 of 3,507

Good stuff. Are you using stock tips?

Yeah, i found the stock black double flange to be best. Pretty decent isolation too.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,150 of 3,507

Nice one. Going to think a bit more before Monday before likely pulling the trigger then.

Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

You're welcome :) Have a good weekend!

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #2,154 of 3,507
still they are getting much more love than 262/272 , which are/were way better iems

a shame that both got disconnected , fantastic value-for-money sound quality , imho.

Quote:
  Took a long break from Head-fi, and now just came back to visit. Still lovin the RE-400 (especially with my EQ setting for it on my computer), but disappointed that they're not as popular as they deserve to be. Oh, well...

Feb 6, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2,155 of 3,507
I had the Shure e4c's way back when, but after a while I wasn't enjoying them as much.  I'm very close to purchasing a new set of IEM's, and the re-400's seem to be one of the best quality/cost I've seen.  Have any of you ended up migrating from larger headphones exclusively to the re-400/600's?  I'm currently looking at these as a supplemental pair for when I'm away from my computer.

Feb 6, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,156 of 3,507
  I had the Shure e4c's way back when, but after a while I wasn't enjoying them as much.  I'm very close to purchasing a new set of IEM's, and the re-400's seem to be one of the best quality/cost I've seen.  Have any of you ended up migrating from larger headphones exclusively to the re-400/600's?  I'm currently looking at these as a supplemental pair for when I'm away from my computer.

I'd say the RE-400 is among the highest performance to price ratio in IEMs out there.  I have a full size rig at home, but I have migrated from portable headphones for travel/commuting to primarily IEMs.  I do have a smaller pair of circumaural headphones, but I primarily use those as a portable headset with a detachable microphone for my laptop, plus they don't isolate quite as well for outdoor use.  In terms of ultimate portability, IEMs are the best.  Isolation, it depends on the type of IEM (BA IEMs isolate the best) but I've found most dynamic IEMs like the RE-400 to be pretty good considering their port holes (only negative with heavy wind or very loud areas like train stations).  Ultimately for sound quality, isolation will be key for either IEM or headphone, but  presentation will be a bit different between the two given IEMs are inserted into the ear canal, and portable headphones either sit on the ear, or create a seal around it.  I think one could easily argue the technicalities between the two...for example, most IEMs just can't push the air required for lower bass response like a headphone with a larger diaphragm can without a considerable bump in the sub-bass region.  I'm sure you've been reading up on the RE-400 and seen reviews, so I won't repeat any of the information there...but I feel the RE-400 is very good with most music styles and are technically very proficient, a steal considering what they go for new.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2,158 of 3,507

When u like Hifi Man's soundsign u will never use another brand. After i try Re400 then Re600 now i even love it more than 1p2 and Akr02. And it's just my taste i really love Re600's mid, it's the best mid i 've ever heard 

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #2,159 of 3,507
  When u like Hifi Man's soundsign u will never use another brand. After i try Re400 then Re600 now i even love it more than 1p2 and Akr02. And it's just my taste i really love Re600's mid, it's the best mid i 've ever heard 

very true - i have bought re-zero/252/262/272/400 , and all of them were great and fantastic bang-for-buck, with the exception of 400 which i found completely mediocre and traded it for a 262 (then again i compared the re400 to 262/272 , which isn't a fair comparison as these 2 iems are fantastic , especially if you get them at a discount price through the sales forums)

i think so many people here have not tried the HM iems - they are missing a lot.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #2,160 of 3,507
Hehe so true. So far I have gone through - 2x HE-6, HE-5LE, HE-500, RE-600, and RE-400. I have kept all of them except for the 5LE and RE-400.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back