Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Feb 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #2,177 of 3,507
I have a pair of early-ish run RE-400 (before they came with the extra tips/foams and protective case) and I just picked up a pair off the classifieds that were a re-furb, so I'll be able to test them side by side.  I've not heard any reports of signature changes yet though.  Also, it seems the cable is a bit different from the pictures, possibly more durable so I'll post my comparo here in a few days when they arrive.  I plan on getting the HM700 + RE-400B combo soon as well, so I'll offer some impressions of that compared to my current setup using the Clip+ as well...the reviews so far sound great!

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #2,178 of 3,507
  I have a pair of early-ish run RE-400 (before they came with the extra tips/foams and protective case) and I just picked up a pair off the classifieds that were a re-furb, so I'll be able to test them side by side.  I've not heard any reports of signature changes yet though.  Also, it seems the cable is a bit different from the pictures, possibly more durable so I'll post my comparo here in a few days when they arrive.  I plan on getting the HM700 + RE-400B combo soon as well, so I'll offer some impressions of that compared to my current setup using the Clip+ as well...the reviews so far sound great!

So looking forward to your impression on the supposedly magic combo.

I'm running my RE400 off my clip zip. Is it limiting the HiFiMAN's potential? Does it scale drastically(or even mildly)?

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #2,179 of 3,507

I'm running my RE400 off my clip zip. Is it limiting the HiFiMAN's potential? Does it scale drastically(or even mildly)?

Yeah, I'm excited to see this combo in action given all the recent praise.  I don't think the Clip+/Clip Zip are limiting them in any way, but I've not extensively used these with a portable amp so I can't say if that'd be a worthwhile investment.  From what I've read, it's more about amp quality/design than quantity/output power...it's already easy to drive, so I'd say the changes would be minimal unless the amp is colored in some way.  The HM700 amp section is pretty much designed to have synergy with the RE400B, and I guess to a lesser extent the RE-600 and other balanced RE-series.  I feel like the higher impedance RE262 would benefit so much more from an external amp, but it's one I want to acquire and try on the HM700 eventually.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #2,180 of 3,507

There seems to be no difference to me between using a FiiO E11 and just my phone when listening to them. The E11 isn't exactly the best amplifier in the world, though.

Feb 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #2,181 of 3,507
  There seems to be no difference to me between using a FiiO E11 and just my phone when listening to them. The E11 isn't exactly the best amplifier in the world, though.

tbh this is just my opinion but i don't think the re400s really benefit from any inexpensive amp.

i use it with my fiio e6 on my 2nd gen ipod touch and all it does is just give it that extra oomph in the mid bass and little more thickness in the mids (the re400s are a bit lean sounding to begin with) (seems to function more like an eq really to me) now i use it with the vanilla eq so no drastic bump in bass or treble or anything

i would like to compare it to my ipod touch w/o amp but the headphone jack broke on it (hence my real reason for buying the fiio e6, just to get around the broken headphone jack and use the headphone jack on the e6 instead)

but i did compare it to my iphone 4 (not the best comparsion since its not the exact same device) but same song and tried to match the volume as close as i can. i really didn't notice a difference in sound stage, the treble was relatively untouched. but as i said before just a little bump in the bass and thickness in the mids.

this is good for portable purposes because it would be contending with ambient noise like the subway, people talking, babies crying etc. (and the re400 is a bit light on the bass so it helps with that)

at home i actually prefer using my re400 w/o amp, the weight of the bass becomes a bit much

, an extra amp is annoying to charge (i use double sided tape to attach it to my ipod touch so im not carrying the amp separately)

so as you can see i'm a bit on the fence atm, its only a small change but if you could save the money i wouldn't bother unless your willing spend for a nicer amp

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,182 of 3,507
I've read some of this thread, comparisons bet the 400 and 600, but wonder if anyone has compared them to either the ex1000 or mdr 7550(which I own.)  I'm trying to figure out if either the 400 or 600 would be a side grade or upgrade to my 7550 and a signature comparison.   I'm also trying to figure out if the 400/700 balanced combo comes closer to the 600 unbalanced.   Any thoughts or links would be sincerely appreciated! 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #2,183 of 3,507
I have not read through the whole thread but I have a problem with my RE 600s.  I got it in early January and by the 20th of Feb. one side seem to keep shorting out.  I think it is problem with the cable.  needless to say I am pissed.   Has anyone else had any problems?  I got it off Amazon so it is past the 30 day replacement policy.  Should I call HiFi Man directly for help?  Any advice would be appreciated.  thanks.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #2,184 of 3,507
  I have not read through the whole thread but I have a problem with my RE 600s.  I got it in early January and by the 20th of Feb. one side seem to keep shorting out.  I think it is problem with the cable.  needless to say I am pissed.   Has anyone else had any problems?  I got it off Amazon so it is past the 30 day replacement policy.  Should I call HiFi Man directly for help?  Any advice would be appreciated.  thanks.

Ye u should ask HiFi Man, and check ur warrenty.
I think ur jack is broke replace it will fix

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #2,185 of 3,507
  I've read some of this thread, comparisons bet the 400 and 600, but wonder if anyone has compared them to either the ex1000 or mdr 7550(which I own.)  I'm trying to figure out if either the 400 or 600 would be a side grade or upgrade to my 7550 and a signature comparison.   I'm also trying to figure out if the 400/700 balanced combo comes closer to the 600 unbalanced.   Any thoughts or links would be sincerely appreciated! 
normal_smile .gif

theres a youtube reviewer that i think used ur mdr 7550

heres some links

his review on the re400
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8DtFnm2Ks4&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLDp6fyvziq0g0aa7cx02GQ5TeJK3RUClX

his review on the mdr7550 wow he also has the ex1000 perfect!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffOEAuw8wpE&list=PLDp6fyvziq0g0aa7cx02GQ5TeJK3RUClX

this is somewhat related he compare the gr07 with the mdr7550 and the re400 so you can find some information there regarding the re400
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I8FEeE0u3k&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLDp6fyvziq0g0aa7cx02GQ5TeJK3RUClX

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #2,186 of 3,507

Probably the cable shorting out near the strain relief. I had the same problem with my RE600 tour unit. I'd send hifiman-us a PM, he's been extremely helpful in my case.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #2,187 of 3,507
normal_smile .gif

Unless mids quality is your highest priority, the RE600 are rather a sidegrade than an upgrade to the 7550 in my book. Their detail and refinement in the mids is what really stands out for me. Apart from that, I'd give a nod to the 7550 for better bass and call treble pretty much a draw. Same for dynamics, since both need a little more than average volume to really come alive. Soundstage goes to the 7550 for those who prefer space and to the RE600 for those who crave intimacy.

That's pretty much all I can think of right now, hope it helps.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #2,190 of 3,507
  I love their gear, I have 252,262, 272, RE400......But darn those crappy cables......I don't understand how a company like this that consistently puts out great quality iem's can so consistently put out poor quality cables?
That is my only gripe...Once they finally fix this then.....Well the sky's the limit. Sorry for the rant...

Absolutely right!   I had to get my 262's replaced 2x  within the warrantee period due to poor cables.    While their customer service is excellent, as I mentioned in another thread, their quality control is terrible.   Four hundred dollars for an IEM without detachable cables is inexcusable!   They need to make detachable cables or perhaps a Headfi member who has "cable talents" can offer recabling services for them as apparently the usual recabling companies won't.

I think we should hold HiFiMan accountable for its cables and build quality like Digitalfreak has done with "boutique players."   Digitalfreaks  excellent thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/682750/the-sad-state-of-the-so-called-audiophile-dap-market, points the finger at "the high prices we've paid for players with shoddy firmware that only makes us want to smash the player against the nearest wall".   TeamHiFiMan should acknowledge this problem and address it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back