Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jun 29, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #3,153 of 3,507
My cable on my RE-600 finally shorted out for good. The whole experience with the build quality (or lack thereof) left me quite salty. I might send them in to be re-terminated in the future, but in the meantime I purchased the Sony XBA-H1s. I decided that if I ever wanted to spend over $200 on IEMs, I'd add several hundred more and go in on CIEMs. In the meantime, the Sonys get pretty good reviews (with some exceptions thrown in, but considering the importance of fit with universal IEMs, I'm willing to give an IEM with mixed reviews the benefit of the doubt) and for debuting at $150 (you can get them from the Best Buy website for $75) I don't expect them to match the sound quality but they should be decent for what are essentially my beater headphones.

It's really too bad because  the RE-600 sounded so beautiful and was such a great way to have headphones for on the go without making sacrifices to sound quality.

Jul 3, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #3,154 of 3,507
  My cable on my RE-600 finally shorted out for good. The whole experience with the build quality (or lack thereof) left me quite salty. I might send them in to be re-terminated in the future, but in the meantime I purchased the Sony XBA-H1s. I decided that if I ever wanted to spend over $200 on IEMs, I'd add several hundred more and go in on CIEMs. In the meantime, the Sonys get pretty good reviews (with some exceptions thrown in, but considering the importance of fit with universal IEMs, I'm willing to give an IEM with mixed reviews the benefit of the doubt) and for debuting at $150 (you can get them from the Best Buy website for $75) I don't expect them to match the sound quality but they should be decent for what are essentially my beater headphones.

It's really too bad because  the RE-600 sounded so beautiful and was such a great way to have headphones for on the go without making sacrifices to sound quality.

I can't believe massdrop redid the RE-00 instead of the RE-600! They should of addressed the RE-600 instead! Lame. Goes to show HIFIMAN can address the RE line but does not.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-re-00

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #3,156 of 3,507
Right off their site: "Composite cable (patent-pending) comprised of crystal copper and crystal silver, delivers lifelike clarity, superb imaging and musicality."

Patent pending?!! No wonder it's failing, it's crap. They saved money to not pay for a full patent. 

Jul 5, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #3,157 of 3,507
I have been thinking about re-400 for $99 as I saw them on InnerFidelity wall of fame. I have my friends Ettys er4 from 10 years ago and Sony mh1 as my top ones to compare any IEMs to. Ettys are nice but lack bass. Even compared to my hd600. Mh1 are good for $30 maybe not as detailed as Ettys but still great, not the biggest fan of the cable. How do these re-400 sound compared? I am also considering Philips TX2 for $40 as they are also on InnerFidelity wall of fame, any ideas on those compared to re400?

I also have cheapo Panasonic $8 rphje120s ergofit and Philips she3580. Both are too bassy and not as clear but both are better IMO than Apple ear buds.

Jul 5, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #3,158 of 3,507
I have been thinking about re-400 for $99 as I saw them on InnerFidelity wall of fame. I have my friends Ettys er4 from 10 years ago and Sony mh1 as my top ones to compare any IEMs to. Ettys are nice but lack bass. Even compared to my hd600. Mh1 are good for $30 maybe not as detailed as Ettys but still great, not the biggest fan of the cable. How do these re-400 sound compared? I am also considering Philips TX2 for $40 as they are also on InnerFidelity wall of fame, any ideas on those compared to re400?

I also have cheapo Panasonic $8 rphje120s ergofit and Philips she3580. Both are too bassy and not as clear but both are better IMO than Apple ear buds.

Your Phillips cheapo probably has a better cable.  I'd avoid HiFiMAN IEMs.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #3,159 of 3,507
Your Phillips cheapo probably has a better cable.  I'd avoid HiFiMAN IEMs.

I'd say better by 0.1%. SHE3580/3590 are built like disposable earphones.

RE-400 will sound so much cleaner and clearer than the SHE3580, but the sound signature will be tamer. If you're fine with the Etymotic fit and deep insertion, I'd recommend the HF5 instead.

Jul 6, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #3,160 of 3,507
I'd say better by 0.1%. SHE3580/3590 are built like disposable earphones.

As are the RE-400/600, unless you want to pay for a recable 3-4 months after purchase. Maybe the 400 is less prone to breakage than the 600 though as I only have experience with the 600.

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #3,162 of 3,507
  ^Had both.  That is true, RE-400 cable is much more robust.

And they tried to sell the 600 for $400 at one point... with quite possibly the worst IEM cable of all time. Glad I've bought all of my HiFiMAN cans used. Can't see myself giving money to a company so ignorant of its customer's feedback.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #3,164 of 3,507
  Smart move.

Sucks because the RE-600, HE-400i and HE-560 are all amazing sounding headphones and a very good value at used prices but the cables are just bad. I've been using aftermarket ones on the 400, 400i and 560 pretty much since day one. I'm guessing they have a supplier for their cables and they should ditch them right away but to cut costs they stick with sub-bargain bin cabling.

Jul 6, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #3,165 of 3,507
And they tried to sell the 600 for $400 at one point... with quite possibly the worst IEM cable of all time. Glad I've bought all of my HiFiMAN cans used. Can't see myself giving money to a company so ignorant of its customer's feedback.

But... getting them used is just as bad sometimes. U dont know what they went through. Especially on the already questionable build

Users who are viewing this thread

Back