HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Feb 6, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #91 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure that its really the size (fullness) of the card as My 32gb is 30gb full and plenty fine and fast.. more likely you had some corrupt tags on your files and when you removed some files you removed the corrupted ones and thats why its faster.

That would have been lucky since all of my music is one big folder (or really three now since I only have one 32GB card) and i just randomly removed some files. I will find out when I switch to one of the other folders, as all of the songs I removed are now in another folder that I will swap out when I want some fresh songs.

Feb 6, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #92 of 480
sounds great! but the firmware is seriously annoying

i am using a class 6 generic 32 gb and get severe hangups, that is seriously annoying that i need a new card...

also something that no one has mentioned, some files loaded on the card work fine some appear as a folder filled with files named V with an umlaut(two dots on top of it). files exist as VVVVVVVVVV.VVV
when reformatted and reloaded, files that previously worked exhibit that error and ones that didnt work begin to work so it is not a file error.

Feb 6, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #93 of 480
0.11 2010-01-11

I think I've found out why I kept getting the updating msg and no autoplay on startup:

If I go into a menu option that triggers the updating message (tracks, artists, album) and then navigate back to the sd card, select and play a track, switch off/on, then I again get the updating msg and no autoplay.

I've solved this by removing the sd card, then playing a track from the onboard memory, switch off/on, then I get no msg and autoplay works. I can now put my card back in and play, switch off/on with fast startup, no msg and autoplay. I am now much happier

If you're having problems with the updating msg then try the above and then don't go into anything which triggers the msg

Feb 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #94 of 480
Has anyone found out where to find the firmware update/application?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed,

Where can we find the firmware update and the application?

Feb 10, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #95 of 480
I am still wondering about the random play function. There are songs that come on just about every time I listen. And many of the songs have shown up 10-12 times or more since I got this unit. I understand that randomness can have some flukes to it, but this seems to go beyond that. I used to listen for weeks without any repeats when using my Iriver player or my laptop as music server.

And one thing is certain: this unit does not remember what it has just played as I have also started having songs show up twice in one listening session, including a song that came on again a second time just two songs later.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #96 of 480
Okay there definetly needs to be another firmware release and soon... I'm getting quite annoyed here.

In trying to test the theory that maybe it was a corrupt tag (not that the firmware can read tags) that was causing long loads for people and not for me (even though I had a full SD card), I was trying to see if I duplicate the problem.

Well I could... by removing files :/

And now I can't get rid of the updating screen even when I put the SD card back exactly how it was when it would just power-up without the updating screen. I've now removed so much stuff that I only have 28gb of 32gb and its still happening (previously I had 31 of 32gb on there)

Its making absolutely no sense and really starting to annoy

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #97 of 480
0.11 2010-01-11

Main MUSIC screen:

-MUSIC should read Music
-Trim leading zeros from nnnn/nnnn and line up with Music
-VBR mp3's display as 0bit
-v2.n mp3's do not display artist/album info - have to convert to v1
-If you rewind a FLAC track to the beginning of the track it can get stuck in a loop
-Please remove the line SD Card/Flash on board. This info is not needed here, should just be the track info. If you really need this then just display SD/FL on the very 1st/2nd/Last line
-As far as I can tell the first two track name lines will always be the same. Should just be one line

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #98 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay there definetly needs to be another firmware release and soon... I'm getting quite annoyed here.

In trying to test the theory that maybe it was a corrupt tag (not that the firmware can read tags) that was causing long loads for people and not for me (even though I had a full SD card), I was trying to see if I duplicate the problem.

Well I could... by removing files :/

And now I can't get rid of the updating screen even when I put the SD card back exactly how it was when it would just power-up without the updating screen. I've now removed so much stuff that I only have 28gb of 32gb and its still happening (previously I had 31 of 32gb on there)

Its making absolutely no sense and really starting to annoy

The following (for me) triggers the updating screen:
-Tracks
-Artists
-Album
-Adding to the SD Card
-Removing from the SD card

As previously posted this is how I get rid of it:

Switch off/on with SD card in and wait for the main menu to appear after the uploading msg, then eject the card, you should now get a very short updating msg, then play a track from the onboard flash, then switch off and back on, it should now startup without the msg and the track should autoplay. You can now put the card back in, play a track, switch off/on - should be no msg and track will autoplay.

This method works for me everytime.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #99 of 480
Well, considering this looks completely RockBox-based, it would be great to simply get a copy of the firmware so some of us techies can help.

Make the firmware open-source and watch the bugs climb steadily down.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #100 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, considering this looks completely RockBox-based, it would be great to simply get a copy of the firmware so some of us techies can help.

wink.gif

x2!

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #102 of 480
Yes it would be great to see progress on the firmware. For me,
1. Going to to Albums or Artist section triggers the updating message, followed by a "No file found" error. This happens on my 32GB card but my 8GB card works fine. The files are largely the same ones, so I think it's not a matter of having corrupt tags.
2. The tracks in my mp3 folders are all jumbled up, rather than in track sequence. The Folders with FLAC files are fine. I tried with both ID3v1 & v2 so not sure why Hifiman 801 can't read the tags right.

The thing sounds great but at some point, it just gets to irritating too navigate to the sound.

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #103 of 480
If it were not for ipod, so many people would not be listening to music right now ...

The point being, there is a LOT of value to a friendly intuitive, user interface.

Of course we are looking at one of the best sounding portables in its infancy ...

Thanks to all for offering your services and providing useful input and experiences ...

Cheers

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #104 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by abeautifulife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it would be great to see progress on the firmware. For me,
1. Going to to Albums or Artist section triggers the updating message, followed by a "No file found" error. This happens on my 32GB card but my 8GB card works fine. The files are largely the same ones, so I think it's not a matter of having corrupt tags.
2. The tracks in my mp3 folders are all jumbled up, rather than in track sequence. The Folders with FLAC files are fine. I tried with both ID3v1 & v2 so not sure why Hifiman 801 can't read the tags right.

The thing sounds great but at some point, it just gets to irritating too navigate to the sound.

1. I too can't get the Artists or Album (should read Albums) to work from my 32g card but I can from the onboard. It would be good if it had some sort of log we could look at to track down the cause instead of the misleading no file found

2. I think it sorts by track name and I'm guessing your FLAC files have the track number embedded at the start of the track name whereas your mp3's don't? If that's not the case then the track number embedded into the name should be in the format 001, 002, 010, 099, 100... Anyone know the standard convention for track names? When I drag and drop from iTunes it creates the track name as disc number-track number track name

Feb 13, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #105 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

x3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back