HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Jan 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #61 of 480
My point is.. in a 50/50 situation it was 100/0 for 26 times. In a 1/1200 situation, its not inconcievable that some would show up more times while others none at all. Thats the very definition of 'random'

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #62 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirmalanow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But red and black are 50/50. For the same song that is one out of 1200 to show up five times in perhaps 200 tries boggles the mind. And more than a dozen songs have shown up several times.

If it is truly random, and not some weighted random picker, if you have 1200 songs, each song has 1/1200 chance to be picked each time a new song is played. I wouldn't expect there to be no repeats in 200 song plays (that's 1/6th of the universe). Is what you're experiencing a symptom of a not completely random algorithm, who knows. Also random is only as good as the random number generator that is used.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #63 of 480
Thanks for the perspectives on the randomness of random. I realize that what I experienced is actually possible within the definition of randomness. I will keep listening and see if I still think there is some kind of tendency for the 801 to pick certain songs more often than others.

Has anyone else noticed something similar? Can Fang say anything about the way the software does generate random playback? Is it truly random?

I have an Iriver that used to play the same songs in random depending on the starting point. If you played a certain song, then the next song would always be the same, and the song after that also and so on. They finally updated the software with a true random system.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #64 of 480
Notes with firmware 0.11

1) 32gb SanDisk Ultra SDHC (100x 15MB/s Class-4) works perfectly.

2) First folder name on SD card view shows the folder name with an extra space (indent) in front of it.

3) I cannot seem to figure out the sort order on the folder view.

4) "Updating the hifiman HM-801 media" screen on load every time but no Artist or Album info gets saved.

5) Back button from the "Now Playing" should either go to folder containing song file or the "SD Card" should go to folder containing current or last played song. This is the way RockBox works on the iPod. Navigating the entire structure every time is a pain.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #66 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
#3 is driving me nuts.. I can't figure out why its not alphabetical either

I've mentioned #5 before too... quite annoying indeed

#3 is very bizarre. But, maybe a lead :

in foobar2000, if I put my SDHC card into my PC (via usb), the order (if this may be called an order) is the very same than in Hifiman : a mix between chronological and alphabetical order.

In foobar, though, there is an option to "force" the order ("force items sorted") and the folder becomes alphabetically ordered.

So I don't know, but it seems that it has something to do with how SDHC cards work... And if foobar can handle it through a "force items sorted" option, so can do Hifiman one day, hopefully

#5 : oh yes, this so annoying and a waste of time.

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #67 of 480
I have been playing around with issue #3 this evening to try and find a solution and think i might be onto something. The albums seem to appear in order that they were transferred onto the card (while its in the HiFiMan) if you add them in alphabetical order then they appear correctly in the list.

Can someone else try this just to confirm it and that its not my imagination
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #68 of 480
Quote:

My 801 takes 2-3 minutes to boot up. Every time I turn it on it has a little updating animation that runs for 2-3 minutes.
I am using a 32 GB SD card with all of the songs in one folder.
It is kind of a pain to have to wait so long for music everytime I turn it on....even though the music sounds great once it starts playing.

I figured out my SD card had too much on it. I reduced it from 29GB to 24 GB (out of 32) and now it boots up in under 10 seconds. That is way better than 3 minutes!

Jan 30, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #69 of 480
Quote:

Another annoyance is that the 801 does not remember anything from a previous listening session. It does not return to the last song played, it does not remember what songs were just played in shuffle play so I often hear the same song the next day. And it has to update the SD card everytime I turn it on which takes 3 minutes or more. These all seem like things that could be fixed considering it has onboard memory where it could store the recent activity.

Hopefully these features will be included in future updates.

I think these problems have also been solved by reducing the amount of music on my SD card. I went from 29 to 24 GB and now it boots up and starts playing right where it stopped the last session, even in the middle of the song where I stopped the last session. I think it had to reload all of the data from the card every time it booted up when there was too much on the card, and so it also did not have any info stored from the previous listening session.

Glad I figured this out.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #70 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisnalee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been playing around with issue #3 this evening to try and find a solution and think i might be onto something. The albums seem to appear in order that they were transferred onto the card (while its in the HiFiMan) if you add them in alphabetical order then they appear correctly in the list.

Can someone else try this just to confirm it and that its not my imagination
tongue.gif

Yes, this is correct. This what I meant by "chronological" order above.
It seems to be a feature attached to SDHC cards.

I figured out a trick like you say : copying in alphabetical order so that the chronological and alphabetical orders are the same, but I did not try it.

What I tried was to change the date attached to the files (if they have all the same date, they would appear in alphabetical order), but this was not a success. Maybe I did something wrong because this should work. Did not try again.

Maybe chronological order made sense for SDHC cards in cameras (where chronological order fits alphabetical order,
think :
P1030135.JPG
P1030136.JPG
P1030137.JPG
P1030138.JPG
P1030139.JPG
P1030140.JPG
etc...)
, but now with digital musical players this is a bit annoying.

Someone had the same kind of problem with flash cards (but no answer appart from changing the date of the files) : Digital photo frames display jpgs in the order in which they're written to the card, NOT name order. Any way round that ?

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #72 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by corsario /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I tried was to change the date attached to the files (if they have all the same date, they would appear in alphabetical order), but this was not a success. Maybe I did something wrong because this should work. Did not try again.

Which date did you change and how did you do this? Can you try both date/time created and date/time modified?

If that doesn't work you could try having your folder sorted how you want on your computer and then copying out one by one to your card. Probably need some sort of script to do this

Jan 30, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #73 of 480
************ Update 1 Feb 2010**********
Seems the order does not related to "Date Access", "Date Modified" or "Date Created".
I have used the following method to change them but seems still not in the correct order.

*********** Previous Posting *********************
If HM-801 accesses the files using time as the order, you can try this:
Touch utility
Select all audio files in a folder in your SD card and drag them to it. It will modify each of their times one by one in alphabetic order of the file names. Then their modified time will have an order which is the same as the alphabetical order of file name.
(The above program does not work in Windows 7, duno about Vista)

Feb 1, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #74 of 480
I found that the Player hard Locks up when playing 96/24 FLAC files, and then shutting down. It happens when playing a 96/24 file. Then shutting down. When powering up to resume, the player does not make any sound. If any other songs (including regular 48/16) are played, the player does a hard lock up, requiring a reset with the bottom reset switch. The SDHC Card then has to be removed before powering back up, otherwise it locks up again. And then you HAVE to play a regular 44/16 file BEFORE playing another 96/24 file. This bug makes listening to 96/24 incredibly annoying.

You MUST play a regular 48/16 file BEFORE shutting the player off.

I also really do NOT like how the player always resumes playback of the previous file even if it was paused before shutting down. The player should remember whether or not the file was paused. It can be dangerous because if you turn on with headphones plugged in, and have the volume up too high accidentally, very loud sound can suddenly blast through headphones.

Firmware Version: 0.10 Date: 2009-12-24

-Ed

Feb 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #75 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also really do NOT like how the player always resumes playback of the previous file even if it was paused before shutting down. The player should remember whether or not the file was paused. It can be dangerous because if you turn on with headphones plugged in, and have the volume up too high accidentally, very loud sound can suddenly blast through headphones.

Firmware Version: 0.10 Date: 2009-12-24

-Ed

Agree. This is annoying, especially if using different headphones with different impedences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back