HiFiMAN HM-801 Player Firmware Debug Thread
Feb 1, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #76 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that the Player hard Locks up when playing 96/24 FLAC files, and then shutting down. It happens when playing a 96/24 file. Then shutting down. When powering up to resume, the player does not make any sound. If any other songs (including regular 48/16) are played, the player does a hard lock up, requiring a reset with the bottom reset switch. The SDHC Card then has to be removed before powering back up, otherwise it locks up again. And then you HAVE to play a regular 44/16 file BEFORE playing another 96/24 file. This bug makes listening to 96/24 incredibly annoying.

You MUST play a regular 48/16 file BEFORE shutting the player off.

I also really do NOT like how the player always resumes playback of the previous file even if it was paused before shutting down. The player should remember whether or not the file was paused. It can be dangerous because if you turn on with headphones plugged in, and have the volume up too high accidentally, very loud sound can suddenly blast through headphones.

Firmware Version: 0.10 Date: 2009-12-24

-Ed

Just tried this with mine and it looks like that issue has been solved with the latest firmware version 0.11 2010-01-11. Can play a 24/96 file switch off and reboot and it continues playing from where it left off. The auto play on boot up has caught me out a few times as well, with my livewires plugged in and the volume accidentally sitting at ear busting levels. Now i always put the volume to the min setting before plugging them in.

The player still seems to have problems though playing the few 88/24 files i have, causing it to lock up and need reset much like you have described.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #77 of 480
I have version 0.11
As someone else also asked ... where is the location to download updated firmware and how to upload it? Copy the file in the root level of the player?

Thanks

Feb 2, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #79 of 480
Quote:

Fang mentioned firmware being updated via an application on the computer. Would be more convenient if the Player could execute and update the firmware directly from an SDHC card, though.

-Ed

Ed,

Where can we find the firmware update and the application?

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #80 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed,

Where can we find the firmware update and the application?

Good question. I'm still waiting for it too.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #81 of 480
Quote:

Good question. I'm still waiting for it too.
wink.gif

x2. Asked a few weeks ago, never got an answer. Looked all around head-direct, never found it.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #82 of 480
0.11 2010-01-11

Is there a setting to make it autoplay on boot up? Every time I switch on I get the updating msg for about 20 secs, then the main menu is displayed. It does not remember the last track playing

Every time I go into tracks I get the updating msg for about 20 secs. It does work but if I go out and back in, same message

Anyone get artists or album to work? same updating msg then a no file message

Can someone post an example of a multi track flac/.mp3 .cue list that works. I get a cue list invalid msg with the one I have

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #85 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0.11 2010-01-11

Is there a setting to make it autoplay on boot up? Every time I switch on I get the updating msg for about 20 secs, then the main menu is displayed. It does not remember the last track playing

Every time I go into tracks I get the updating msg for about 20 secs. It does work but if I go out and back in, same message

Can someone post an example of a multi track flac/.mp3 .cue list that works. I get a cue list invalid msg with the one I have

That autoplay function can hold up the 801. Sometime ago I played some 24/96 files. Next time when it booted up the 801 could not play the file last player and hanged up every time. This is double-blade sword until the firmware is steady.

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #86 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any plans to allow use of Class 6 cards? I have a couple. Just wondering.

I tried and at least one works but with occassional hang ups. The hang ups are not frequent and could be acceptable. See the thread for the card list.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #87 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a way to create playlist equivalent ...

Thx

You could try an m3u to cue converter - search for m3utocue on this page:

http://dev.arqendra.net/#m2c

I haven't got this working yet. If anyone has a working cue I could look at.

Until then I'm doing the following:

I'm on a mac and my playlists are in itunes. In itunes I select all tracks in my playlist then I run a script that physically prefixes the track name with the playlist order number:

001 track name a
002 track name b
010 track name c
100 track name d

still in itunes I then select all tracks and wipe out the disc and track number

then I drag and drop from itunes to a folder with the same playlist name

then from that folder i convert all apple lossless to flac

then i copy that folder to the hifiman. This then gives me a folder with tracks in the order i want, not great but it's working

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #88 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by ade_hall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0.11 2010-01-11

My 801 was behaving this way until I removed some of the music on my SD card. I reduced it from 29 GB to 24 GB on a 32GB card and now my unit boots up without displaying the updating message, and also starts auto-playing where it left off the last time I listened. It seems to not like a very full SD card.

Feb 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #89 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenLeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried and at least one works but with occassional hang ups. The hang ups are not frequent and could be acceptable. See the thread for the card list.

Kingston 32GB Class 6 is not even being recognized at all. Another old small capacity card I had laying around which is class 2 is being read just fine (Sandisk brand, 2GB).

The player sounds great, btw!

Feb 6, 2010 at 12:11 AM Post #90 of 480
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirmalanow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 801 was behaving this way until I removed some of the music on my SD card. I reduced it from 29 GB to 24 GB on a 32GB card and now my unit boots up without displaying the updating message, and also starts auto-playing where it left off the last time I listened. It seems to not like a very full SD card.

I'm not sure that its really the size (fullness) of the card as My 32gb is 30gb full and plenty fine and fast.. more likely you had some corrupt tags on your files and when you removed some files you removed the corrupted ones and thats why its faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back