HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
May 24, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #2,296 of 2,647
Aftermarket grills are a great upgrade, especially the Arctic Cables ones since they have smooth edges and look nice. For those worried about dust (like me), the answer is to take the fabric off of the stock grills and apply it to the aftermarket ones. This is easily done by using a glue stick. I used the purple Elmers sticks that they seem to sell everywhere. Gently tap the glue stick all over one side of the aftermarket grills. Peel the fabric off of the stock grills (it comes off easy), then apply it to the aftermarket grills. Take the old stock grills and lay them on top of the aftermarket grills/fabric overnight to let everything evenly set.
I wanted a bit more openess and went with panty hose. :grin:

May 24, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #2,297 of 2,647
Aftermarket grills are a great upgrade, especially the Arctic Cables ones since they have smooth edges and look nice. For those worried about dust (like me), the answer is to take the fabric off of the stock grills and apply it to the aftermarket ones. This is easily done by using a glue stick. I used the purple Elmers sticks that they seem to sell everywhere. Gently tap the glue stick all over one side of the aftermarket grills. Peel the fabric off of the stock grills (it comes off easy), then apply it to the aftermarket grills. Take the old stock grills and lay them on top of the aftermarket grills/fabric overnight to let everything evenly set.
👍

May 24, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #2,298 of 2,647
I agree that glue sticks work great for this. I used this method to attach pantyhose material to the back of my 3D printed grilles.

May 24, 2023 at 7:24 PM Post #2,299 of 2,647
Without the screens do you worry about dust or other contaminants?
Not only that, there are strong magnets inside, and they will pull in anything metal in close proximity potentially damaging membrane.
Just transfer stock mesh filter to honeycomb grill. It might need some glue to stay in place.

May 24, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #2,300 of 2,647
Thanks! I have multiple dogs, and in the summer we have an awful lot of ash from nearby and distant forest fires, so do worry about particulates. I think I will keep the inner screen, but move to the Arctic grills. It will only be a partial step, but, as you say, if nothing else the grills look really cool!
screens and that little piece of fabric won't stop cooking fumes, BBQ, forest fires, etc from getting to the drivers.

May 24, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #2,301 of 2,647
Nice as far as it goes. Charged particles of oil, soot, smoke can be many times smaller then the mesh of the fabric. Those magnets are potent and will draw lots of stuff. Hanging them on a nice hanger and doing pan frying or grilling within 30' feet or more with the wind going the wrong way is not what I would recommend. Mylar speakers with potent magnets (less potent per area than headphones) such as ML and Magnepan get fouled easily - I think 3 used ones and two new ones all had to go back to the factory until I figured out how to stop it. Not seen it on my cans because I don't expose them.

May 25, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #2,302 of 2,647
AFA8E183-5BBA-4D50-99B0-910E89752DC3.jpegMy first wired headphone in 1 year. Quite surprised how hard it is to drive it - almost as difficult as Susv.

Comfort wise, actually I have no issue with it.

I see there are few mods avail: pads and grills. Do they improve sound or just aesthetic?
personally i only padswapped to the hybrid pads from dekoni, it curbs the treble a little bit. But besides that yeah stock sounds good

May 27, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #2,303 of 2,647
So - Flux FA 10 at 16 watts into 32 ohms vs. Deckard 3 watts into 32 ohms.

The Deckard by comparison is more relaxing to listen to. It has a slight lushness/smoothness and warmth to it. Smoothes the top end just a perfect amount.

The Flux supercharges. It is intense, very dynamic. It leans a little bright to me, that's the one thing. I think I can adjust to the extra push there - just used a little more smoother and rounded top. My Deckard with my HE-500 is just not fatiguing. This Flux doesn't smooth out highs. It's more aggressive, I don't know if its that extra power on tap transforming things or if it's more color the amp is adding.

Anyway - I find these amps to be complimentary with the pedal to the metal sound of the Flux and the more chilled out sound of the Deckard. I can't say I'm in love with the Flux yet - it is impressive - however - just pushes right on the edge sometimes for the highs for me. Will take some time to adjust.

I think the Deckard is a totally viable choice still - still love it. It is an agreeable sound to me with all my headphones - you don't need a nuclear reactor for the 6SE - but you might need to crank your amp up there in high gain mode. The Flux on the other hand, has no problem running the 6SE in low gain - no sweat :)

Hope to refine my opinion a bit just initial remarks.

IMG_1352.jpg

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #2,304 of 2,647
More time - Flux FA-10 is sounding better. Initial impressions were sort of off I think since I was so used to the Deckard for a long time. The Flux is a different level of performance - fidelity - stage - instrument separation - detail - power - many of my cans seem to change through it.

Absolutely A+ amp - was hoping I could sell it but no - highly recommended and I really did think Deckard was all I needed.

I will always love Deckard for the relaxing beautiful sound it produces but this is deff a different approach and flavor - almost opposites in their overall presentation.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #2,305 of 2,647
I can never find the link when I want it: Where is that blog or forum post from (I think) bagwell where he tested a bunch of different earpads on the HE6se v2? The DCA Ether I'm using now are definitely very good, I went straight to those after receiving the headphone. But I really gotta try pad rolling and seeing if I prefer something else.

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #2,306 of 2,647
I can never find the link when I want it: Where is that blog or forum post from (I think) bagwell where he tested a bunch of different earpads on the HE6se v2? The DCA Ether I'm using now are definitely very good, I went straight to those after receiving the headphone. But I really gotta try pad rolling and seeing if I prefer something else.
Check the OG HE-6 thread, or perhaps the HE-6 thread on the Summit thread.

It's not that informative really. I'd look at the OG SBAF thread from about 2014-15 time frame, and a newer one as well. Just try SABF, Hifiman, graph and you ought to hit it.

I think the DCA Ether is a must have on the 500, the 6 screw, and SE v1 are very good also (best I tested), the v2 I didn't have long enough to try any pads but the stock (meh), so maybe some of these newer ones might work very well too.

Jun 5, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #2,307 of 2,647
Oh for sure, I definitely agree with your findings that the DCA Ether pads are a vast improvement over stock. But I've also since learned that I am very much a basshead and you are very much not, lol. So I was thinking I would start experimenting with pads that you thought were too bassy.

But a few hours after I posted here today, I found this post on another forum about the tape/spacer mod:
https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/hifiman-he6se/7004/983

So I think I'll start there.

I also have a pair of angled hybrid ZMF pads of some sort that were included in a headphone purchase of mine from the Classifieds here. I may as well try them, I've already got them.

Jun 7, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #2,308 of 2,647
Mitch, over at Accurate Sound, has developed a filter set for the HE6seV2 and it's one of the cheaper filter sets ($50) he has to offer. I purchased them and I really like what I hear. I wanted to recommend them to anyone looking to get a more neutral sound out of theirs. The frequency range is very even throughout with no peaks or deficiencies. The other EQ's I've tried, like oratory1990's, feel very heavy handed compared to this.

Jun 8, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #2,309 of 2,647
Jun 11, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #2,310 of 2,647
I just wanted to update that I love the FA-10 but would recommend it less for the HE6SE V2, personally. It is amazingly detailed with a tight and punchy sound however for me, the 6 is a bright leaning headphone and the Flux does not do anything to tame that, if anything accentuates that aggressive top.

I still really like the 6 with the Audeze Deckard because it chills them out on the top just that perfect amount to make them more agreeable to listen to. The Deckard has that more relaxing sound to tame the top and richen mids whereas the Flux brings extra energy and excitement to the sound while being more technically proficient. It's just that with the 6SE, I find it a bit much.

Bass still slaps on the Deckard. Especially because of the slightly relaxing effect on the top, it allows more freedom in volume where the bass really comes alive. My stance has just come to realize the 6SE leans bright to my ears on top. A fantastic, highly resolving headphone but I do believe it pairs best with something that that doesn't accentuate that top but rather tames it. Keep in mind they are still very exciting on the Deckard in treble - it just isn't overkill - sounds just right to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back