HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Jun 11, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #2,311 of 2,647
I just wanted to update that I love the FA-10 but would recommend it less for the HE6SE V2, personally. It is amazingly detailed with a tight and punchy sound however for me, the 6 is a bright leaning headphone and the Flux does not do anything to tame that, if anything accentuates that aggressive top. It works incredibly well with the HD600 as an example instead, which benefits from that extra excitement and energy it brings. Warm and slightly warm headphones really come alive on it.

I still really like the 6 with the Audeze Deckard because it chills them out on the top just that perfect amount to make them more agreeable to listen to. The Deckard has that more relaxing sound to tame the top and richen mids whereas the Flux brings extra energy and excitement to the sound while being more technically proficient. It's just that with the 6SE, I find it a bit much.

Bass still slaps on the Deckard. Especially because of the slightly relaxing effect on the top, it allows more freedom in volume where the bass really comes alive. My stance has just come to realize the 6SE leans bright to my ears on top. A fantastic, highly resolving headphone but I do believe it pairs best with something that that doesn't accentuate that top but rather tames it. Keep in mind they are still very exciting on the Deckard in treble - it just isn't overkill - sounds just right to me.
A wonder if a smooth R2R DAC would improve the situation. But yeah, the trouble with ultra-resolving headphones like this is that if there's even a hint of harshness anywhere from the recording you're listening to to the end of the signal path, it's front and center in your face.

Jun 11, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2,312 of 2,647
A wonder if a smooth R2R DAC would improve the situation. But yeah, the trouble with ultra-resolving headphones like this is that if there's even a hint of harshness anywhere from the recording you're listening to to the end of the signal path, it's front and center in your face.

Yes - I was going to mention a smoother DAC could absolutely be another approach here. I have a few ways to listen and the warmest DAC is deff the best option when pairing with Flux and 6SE and it sounds better. It's just that bit of edginess that can still come out depending on track. You know exactly what I am talking about - your post conveyed it.

The reason I'd recommend the Deckard is because it completely takes care of all of those concerns. While the Flux is the better amp and you can work with it on DAC, the Deckard just makes for great synergy in my opinion and freedom of the volume wheel without concern whereas the Flux takes more work. The Flux sounds amazing with my more relaxed headphones, giving them that extra energy to wake them right up.

Synergy is important in this hobby and depending on taste of listener - that part matters too - what sounds slightly too bright is going to be a personal threshold between each of us. It's all about aligning the headphone in a chain that plays to its strengths and mitigates weaknesses. I enjoy having an amp like the Deckard which can slightly relax a headphone and the Flux which can excite it, since they can compliment each other.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #2,313 of 2,647
Yes - I was going to mention a smoother DAC could absolutely be another approach here. I have a few ways to listen and the warmest DAC is deff the best option when pairing with Flux and 6SE and it sounds great. It's just that bit of edginess that can still come out depending on track. You know exactly what I am talking about - your post conveyed it.

The reason I'd recommend the Deckard is because it completely takes care of all of those concerns. While the Flux is the better amp and you can work with it on DAC, the Deckard just makes for great synergy in my opinion and freedom of the volume wheel without concern whereas the Flux takes more work. The Flux sounds amazing with my more relaxed headphones, giving them that extra energy to wake them right up.

Synergy is important in this hobby and depending on taste of listener - that part matters too - what sounds slightly too bright is going to be a personal threshold between each of us. It's all about aligning the headphone in a chain that plays to its strengths and mitigates weaknesses. I enjoy having an amp like the Deckard which can slightly relax a headphone and the Flux which can excite it, since they can compliment each other.
Some mods like pads and grills are pretty inexpensive, and besides whatever effect on the sound they can also provide aesthetic or comfort benefits.

Then there might be gear that will have better synergy with the HE6SE, but that might be a big investment for a single headphone, and still not get the sound quite right. Have you tried to play around with EQ? I know that is almost heresy for some, but maybe experimenting before spending money on DACs, or Amps, or even cables to tune the sound might be worth it?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #2,314 of 2,647
I don't feel the need to experiment is more what I mean - for me the pairing for this headphone is the Audeze Deckard to get the sound I'm looking for from it.

Sounds fantastic - the Deckard warms them up just right to my ears - I've always been saying that of this combo.

Jun 11, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #2,315 of 2,647
I don't feel the need to experiment is more what I mean - for me the pairing for this headphone is the Audeze Deckard to get the sound I'm looking for from it.

Sounds fantastic - the Deckard warms them up just right to my ears - I've always been saying that of this combo.
That is definitely the lowest powered amp I have ever heard recommended. I figure 4W@20 Ohms would probably put out less than one 1W at 50 Ohms.

According to Sonic Electronix in Kentucky, the detailed specs are:
4W @ 20 Ohms
795mW @ 33 Ohms
465mW @ 300 Ohms
235mW @ 600 Ohms

That seems pretty low for that headphone, but I guess it depends on how loud you listen.

Of course a good partner amp is about more than just power.

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #2,316 of 2,647
It deff gets plenty loud, too loud for me to bear listening fully up but I crank it most of the way - 70-80% in high gain.

IMO I listen fairly loud, but obviously not to the point where it begins to feel uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what the translation is in terms of power but I think it speaks for itself when I am choosing the Deckard to run it while at the same time owning the FA-10 which has far more power reserve. Apparently the FA-10 can do 16 W into 32 Ohms, so greater than 4X the power in reserve.

I just don't think the HE6SE is the headphone to pair with an amp that is overly clinical or aggressive. It needs a chain to chill the slightly peaky/sharp treble.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #2,317 of 2,647
It deff gets plenty loud, too loud for me to bear listening fully up but I crank it most of the way - 70-80% in high gain.

IMO I listen fairly loud, but obviously not to the point where it begins to feel uncomfortable.

I'm not sure what the translation is in terms of power but I think it speaks for itself when I am choosing the Deckard to run it while at the same time owning the FA-10 which has far more power reserve.
It's usually the bass impact and under 50 hz response that shows a HFM 500 or 6 isn't getting enough power. It's not really about volume per se. If it's good for you, in particular better than an other piece you have that pretty much is the answer.

As for tuning the sound:

I don't like the HE-6 6 screw, SE v1, SE v2 stock. In terms of cost effectiveness:

1. digital parametric EQ
2. mods (6 screw: fuzzor mod, pads & screen change, cable (O2 free cable, pref DIY, or at least not too expensive), SE (fuzzor is 2nd behind pads/screen)
3. DAC and/or amp (nicer if for other reasons but just this can).

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #2,318 of 2,647
That is definitely the lowest powered amp I have ever heard recommended. I figure 4W@20 Ohms would probably put out less than one 1W at 50 Ohms.

According to Sonic Electronix in Kentucky, the detailed specs are:
4W @ 20 Ohms
795mW @ 33 Ohms
465mW @ 300 Ohms
235mW @ 600 Ohms

That seems pretty low for that headphone, but I guess it depends on how loud you listen.

Of course a good partner amp is about more than just power.
4000 mW -> 795 mW in 13 ohms? Yeow.

Jun 11, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #2,319 of 2,647
It's usually the bass impact and under 50 hz response that shows a HFM 500 or 6 isn't getting enough power. It's not really about volume per se. If it's good for you, in particular better than an other piece you have that pretty much is the answer.

I'm not sure if this makes sense to everyone here but the volume limiting factor for me on these 6's is the treble. It's what forces me to limit the max volume I can take on something like the FA-10. The thing is, since the Deckard leans warmer and smoother up top, I can push more volume without fatigue and then with that extra volume I get more of that bass punch and kick that people talk about with these headphones. I'm limited on volume using a more aggressive amp because of the tendency towards excitement up top. While the FA-10 could have more power and punch overall, I simply can't push as much volume into it because my ears get sensitive to sharpness.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #2,321 of 2,647
Duplicate....

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #2,322 of 2,647
I agree that drop off doesn't seem right.
Agreed. And the website that has the info doesn't even sell Audeze anymore. I would've thought about 2W at 33 Ohms and 1ish at 50 Ohm.

Audeze rates like iFi.
Deckard is 4W @ 20 Ohms.
And that's it for ratings.
My iFi Pro iCAN is 14W @ 16 Ohms.
I wouldn't be surprised if my amp is less than 4W at 50 Ohms. But I don't use most of it anyway.

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:03 AM Post #2,323 of 2,647
How hard is it to replace the crappy headband with the set from ZMF? Haven't been used the he6 since getting rid of my Milo reference but recently fell back in love with the headphone with the gsx mini. Unfortunately the headband is horrible.

Jun 29, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #2,324 of 2,647
Agreed. And the website that has the info doesn't even sell Audeze anymore. I would've thought about 2W at 33 Ohms and 1ish at 50 Ohm.

Audeze rates like iFi.
Deckard is 4W @ 20 Ohms.
My iFi Pro iCAN is 14W @ 16 Ohms.
I wouldn't be surprised if my amp is less than 4W at 50 Ohms. But I don't use most of it anyway.

Many amps are non-linear so without measuring at impedance/resistance, you only have a best-guess.

My V280 does a great job with these and I don't remember exactly but I don't think it works out to more than 3 watts at 50 ohms.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #2,325 of 2,647
Many amps are non-linear so without measuring at impedance/resistance, you only have a best-guess.

My V280 does a great job with these and I don't remember exactly but I don't think it works out to more than 3 watts at 50 ohms.
My V220 (stripped down V281) couldn't do anything with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back