HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Feb 17, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #2,641 of 2,817
My latest PEQ setting - on my pair of v1's:

48 Hz +2.6 Q 1.0 bass shelf
70 Hz +1.2 Q 1.0 bass shelf
840 Hz -1.8 Q 4.8 (regular or digital bell curve if you have it - all settings below here)
1.8k +3.8 Q 2.2
3.2k -2.6 Q 6.4
3.8k -2.0 Q 7.4
4.4k -2.8 Q 8.4
7.5k +2.0 Q 3.6
9.8k -3.6 Q 8.0 (ringing - could be anywhere from 9.1-10.2k - may have to hunt around

Try it out, Seems fussy but you don't want a single setting from 3.2k-4.4k because the issues are not broad based.

Mar 22, 2024 at 7:57 AM Post #2,643 of 2,817
hi can you tell me the grills diameter pls?
Not sure but I made up some and the ones Arctic Cable sells are excellent (2 types and 3 colors) and the price is good too - $19.90. Pics of them in this thread.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #2,645 of 2,817
hi can you tell me the grills diameter pls?
The stock grills have a diameter of 86mm. So that's what you should shoot for if you are looking for replacements.

May 31, 2024 at 7:14 AM Post #2,648 of 2,817
Update w HE6SE V2: Performed the grill mod and performed the pads trick to get bigger, bolder and visceral bass like subwoofer by adding some adhesive inside the pads that will be easy to remove if needed, copied this mod from "luizgarcia" @ hifiguides (mine is not as separated but works wonders) and also add a pic with the EQ I'm using

HE6SE V2 is an absolute wonder of headphone at the price you can get, extremely fun and amazing.... Out of V281 fully balanced is perfection and out of HA-6A even more

Is it better than D8KP technically speaking? NO, is it more fun and addictive? YES

1708012083161.png

1708012131208.png

i was thinking about the hifiman he6se v2. i have a V281 amp. i dont really EQ at all... with out EQ, will these babies sound ok ?

May 31, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #2,650 of 2,817
i was thinking about the hifiman he6se v2. i have a V281 amp. i dont really EQ at all... with out EQ, will these babies sound ok ?
Whether they sound okay or not depends on your own tuning preferences. Without EQ, they'll have the infamous "Hifiman scoop" at 1kHz-3kHz that many Hifiman headphones have. Many (myself included) think it makes them sound light and thin (and potentially bright) with stock tuning. They're also light on bass with stock tuning which can make them sound even thinner. But they'll still have tons of detail. All comes down to your own preferences.

May 31, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #2,651 of 2,817
Whether they sound okay or not depends on your own tuning preferences. Without EQ, they'll have the infamous "Hifiman scoop" at 1kHz-3kHz that many Hifiman headphones have. Many (myself included) think it makes them sound light and thin (and potentially bright) with stock tuning. They're also light on bass with stock tuning which can make them sound even thinner. But they'll still have tons of detail. All comes down to your own preferences.
thanks. light and thin? light on bass?, i cant have that. i need some planars, that i dont have to mess around with EQing, but with BASS.. which planar do i need. : ) am i looking at the LCD-X then ?

May 31, 2024 at 8:52 AM Post #2,652 of 2,817
thanks. light and thin? light on bass?, i cant have that. i need some planars, that i dont have to mess around with EQing, but with BASS.. which planar do i need. : ) am i looking at the LCD-X then ?
If you want bass, I wouldn't be looking at planars (unless you want to learn some EQ basics).

May 31, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #2,654 of 2,817
If you want bass, I wouldn't be looking at planars (unless you want to learn some EQ basics).
Can't disagree more. I'll take the bass of things like HE-6 (any), LCD-4, DCA E2, Final D8K, etc. Fast, deep, and with correct timbre, and very little bloat/over extended sustain.

Add: Also very few headphones don't need PEQ, and planars are well known to be able to take heavy bass EQ'ing (assuming enough amp headroom) better than other types and still have properly damped 'Q'.

Also since 2010, the amount of higher end headphones (lets say over $500) in the market has grown at the expense of dynamics, and given the ongoing fascination by most users of these more expensive headphones of excess bass, it would be hard to explain if planar bass was as wan as you describe.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #2,655 of 2,817
all of the planars I own have plenty of bass... Audeze are known for their bass...
“Plenty” is of course in the ears of the beholder. Based on the poster’s use of all caps to describe what they’re after, I’d assume they’re talking quantity over quality. While I’m sure they’re out there, I have yet to hear a planar that didn’t benefit (to my preferences) from some elevated bass!

But of course, based on the Harman research, bass levels are the most subjective part of the audible spectrum. YMMV. No substitute for trying out headphones directly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back