HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Feb 7, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #2,626 of 2,647
Really? Cool. The D8000 Pro I heard was better then my 6 SE v1

Other mods available too if you care to check them out.

Welcome to the club!
Thank you sir, I honestly prefer D8KP for the kind of music I listen too but HE6SE v2 is amazing at its price to be honest, it is crazy how good it sounds

I'm gonna read the entire thread and learn more about other mods and more :D

Feb 8, 2024 at 1:26 PM Post #2,628 of 2,647
Thank you sir, I honestly prefer D8KP for the kind of music I listen too but HE6SE v2 is amazing at its price to be honest, it is crazy how good it sounds

I'm gonna read the entire thread and learn more about other mods and more :D
If you really want to get deep, go to the Summit-Fi thread on these, and then backfill with the SBAF threads on the HE-6 and the HE round cup/pad measurement thread. Also the HE-500 thread on HF is quite good too.

Feb 11, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #2,630 of 2,647
Whats the go-to headband mod at the moment?

I wanted to source a NAM-7/6 headband but have yet to find someone who might be willing to pass theirs up. Replacements are sadly no longer sold as well.
I'm happy enough with the drop-in replacement of Hifiman's New Enhanced Comfort headband. Not sure which series it comes from, but for me, it's a lot more comfortable than the stock headband for the HE6se v2. I'm still on the lookout for a longer-term replacement, but it'll do until then.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #2,631 of 2,647
wish the og's were still available
They are at a price....

It's been suggested that very early ones sold (well before Adorama) were 6 screws.

The innards between the 6 screw and the SE v1 are different. Reprinted my list (cleaned up - post #372 - at the end of this post). Some of the changes don't individually change things *much* but in total, they do.

The largest difference most agree is that the 6 screw has along with the Phi 1266 the fastest rise time/impact of any headphone in the bass. It's clearly 11/10 in that regard. The SE doesn't have it. It's very nice, better than most - esp at the Adorama pricing, but not the same. If I could point to one physical change between the two models - it's the 6SE has a lot more glue on the inside facing stators - which might hold the whole assembly tighter and not allow the same level of excursion in the bass. Like to see someone cut some of that away to see - but I'm not offering. The cup has different dimensions/material.

The other sonic differences which are more subtle and not a matter of common agreement is that to me: the highs of the 6 screw are etched/grainy) not ethereal - more ringing? The mids are smaller in soundstage and volume (giving it a percieved deeper stage), and its a bit dry. It has good dynamics. Detail is good, but bettered by other cans these days. It's possible the glue issue by cutting the excursion is tamping down on ringing.

Differences between the HE-6 6 screw and HE-6 SE "v1":

Cable: 6 screw - 4 core OFC different vs. the "classic" surgical tubing of the SE v1. Have not A/B'd the 6 screw cable, the one I used had a patina on it. I did blind A/B the 6 SE "v1" cable vs Custom Cans low resistance cable - both XLR's and the HFM was audibly different and not in a positive way.​
Headband different: clamping force harder on HE6SE, pads could also lie differently on the head per dimensions of headband - and composition of the pads. Hard to prove/test but could be audible. 6 screw headband prone to breaking, and heavier as well. Note: HE-6 SE v2 - crappy ill fitting headband w/ not enough clamp.​
Pads: 6 SE came with the pleather and felt. The SE came with the "pali pad" designed for the Sundara. All 3 towards the bottom of the dozen I've tried - but clearly different from each other re: tuning.​
Cup: different material, different resonances, different dimensions. At least subtle audible differences, likely more​
Damping: The HE-6 came with 1/4 round damping material facing ear covering driver, SE not; medium->big audible differences​
Safety bar not present on HE6SE; cancellation/resonant issues, I've got a sliver of felt on my HE-500 safety bar and its audible, but not a big change. But both SE's do not have it.​
inner facing magnets cut differently, more glue used on HE6SE; do they block the direct output of the membrane, or cut its excursion. Possibly a big factor.​
Magnets same strength?​
Membrane same thickness? I believe it's thinner on the 6 SE - also a likely factor in the sound.​
HE6SE a bit lighter and more comfortable.​
They are not physical or sonic dupes of each other, not that close despite what some earlier reviewers opined (early 6 screw 6 SE?).​

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #2,632 of 2,647
They are at a price....

It's been suggested that very early ones sold (well before Adorama) were 6 screws.

The innards between the 6 screw and the SE v1 are different. Reprinted my list (cleaned up - post #372 - at the end of this post). Some of the changes don't individually change things *much* but in total, they do.

The largest difference most agree is that the 6 screw has along with the Phi 1266 the fastest rise time/impact of any headphone in the bass. It's clearly 11/10 in that regard. The SE doesn't have it. It's very nice, better than most - esp at the Adorama pricing, but not the same. If I could point to one physical change between the two models - it's the 6SE has a lot more glue on the inside facing stators - which might hold the whole assembly tigher and not allow the same level of excursion in the bass. Like to see someone cut some of that away to see - but I'm not offering.

The other sonic differences which are more subtle and not a matter of common agreement is that to me: the highs of the 6 screw are etched/grainy) not ethereal - more rnging? The mids are smaller in soundstage and volume (giving it a percieved deeper stage), and its a bit dry. It has good dynamics. Detail is good, but bettered by other cans these days. It's possibile the glue issue by cutting the excursion is tamping down on ringing.

Differences between the HE-6 6 screw and HE-6 SE "v1":

Cable: 6 screw - 4 core OFC different vs. the "classic" surgical tubing of the SE v1. Have not A/B'd the 6 screw cable, the one I used had a patina on it. I did blind A/B the 6 SE "v1" cable vs Custom Cans low resistaance cable - both XLR's and the HFM was audibly different and not in a positive way.​
headband different: clamping force harder on HE6SE, pads could also lie differently on the head per dimensions of headband. Hard to prove/test but could be audible. 6 screw headband prone to breaking, and heavier as well.​
Pads: 6 SE came with the pleather and felt. The SE came with the "pali pad" designed for the Sundara. All 3 towards the bottom of the dozen I've tried - but clearly different from each other re: tuning.​
Body: different material, different resonances. At least subtle audible differences.​
Damping: The HE-6 came with 1/4 round damping, SE not; medium->big audible differences​
Safety bar not present on HE6SE; cancellation/resonant issues, I've got sliver of felt on my HE-500 safety bar and its audible, but not a big change.​
inner facing magnets cut differently, more glue used on HE6SE; do they block the direct output of the membrane, or cut its excursion. Possibly a big factor.​
Magnets same strength?​
Membrane same thickness? I believe it's thinner on the 6 SE - also a likely factor in the sound.​
HE6SE a bit lighter and more comfortable.​
They are not physical or sonic dupes of each other, not that close despite what some earlier reviewers opined (early 6 screw 6 SE?).​
Awesome rundown. Resolve's video comparison suggested that the SE and SE v2 are very similar, likely with similar/identical components, but that the OG is a different beast altogether. It's a bummer that whatever magic the HE6 originally had couldn't be perfectly recaptured.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #2,633 of 2,647
Awesome rundown. Resolve's video comparison suggested that the SE and SE v2 are very similar, likely with similar/identical components, but that the OG is a different beast altogether. It's a bummer that whatever magic the HE6 originally had couldn't be perfectly recaptured.
I believe the same concern is happening with the Susvara. Those who had the earlier versions loved theirs for the detailed sounds that seems to have worsened in subsequent updates. One guy was able to hear MJ snapping his fingers in Billie Jean with his OG but his updated Susvara no longer picks it up.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #2,634 of 2,647
I didn't make it clear but from my POV from 300 Hz up my HE-6 SE v1 overall better and more enjoyable than the 6 screw I had in house twice - same equipment, pads cable, screens (and not screens), same music. The 6 screws made my eyes close involuntarily dozens of times from bass impact - thousands of hours on my 6 SE - never once. For some, that's enough. But the 6 SE is more coherent, has a larger midrange soundstage, is well less annoying/peakish in the treble. It's been called vanilla and boring vs. the 6 screw - but excess treble/ringing is not real detail - akin to my objections of many Stax estats - fake detail in the treble, heard there and in the mids too.

I'm old school, the music is in the mids, the treble should give you proper timbre/overtones/transparency - not faux detail. As long as the bass has timbre and is quick (I.E.) properly damped - that's the big thing. If it gets to 40 Hz in proper proportion to the mids/treble I'm good.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take a 6 or 4 screw anyday - I'd enjoy them for what they do, but, doubt they would supplant the 6 SE v1 as my most used headphone. There are lots of headphones I like more than either, for sure. Just can't afford them!

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 9:56 PM Post #2,635 of 2,647
I believe the same concern is happening with the Susvara. Those who had the earlier versions loved theirs for the detailed sounds that seems to have worsened in subsequent updates. One guy was able to hear MJ snapping his fingers in Billie Jean with his OG but his updated Susvara no longer picks it up.
Is this mentoned in the main Susvara theread, I don't visit there much. HFM has done lots of updates - stated and silent. Interesting to know if the equipment was all the same. Not that I'm in the market, just interested.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #2,636 of 2,647
I'm old school, the music is in the mids, the treble should give you proper timbre/overtones/transparency - not faux detail. As long as the bass has timbre and is quick (I.E.) properly damped - that's the big thing. If it gets to 40 Hz I'm good in proper proportion to the mids/treble I'm good.
Gotcha. Haven't heard the earlier versions myself (I have the se v2). But, yeah, when I hear people talking about a headphone with good "detail" or "resolution," I pretty much always assume they're actually hearing a treble lift somewhere.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #2,637 of 2,647
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #2,638 of 2,647
Update w HE6SE V2: Performed the grill mod and performed the pads trick to get bigger, bolder and visceral bass like subwoofer by adding some adhesive inside the pads that will be easy to remove if needed, copied this mod from "luizgarcia" @ hifiguides (mine is not as separated but works wonders) and also add a pic with the EQ I'm using

HE6SE V2 is an absolute wonder of headphone at the price you can get, extremely fun and amazing.... Out of V281 fully balanced is perfection and out of HA-6A even more

Is it better than D8KP technically speaking? NO, is it more fun and addictive? YES

1708012083161.png

1708012131208.png

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #2,639 of 2,647
Update w HE6SE V2: Performed the grill mod and performed the pads trick to get bigger, bolder and visceral bass like subwoofer by adding some adhesive inside the pads that will be easy to remove if needed, copied this mod from "luizgarcia" @ hifiguides (mine is not as separated but works wonders) and also add a pic with the EQ I'm using

HE6SE V2 is an absolute wonder of headphone at the price you can get, extremely fun and amazing.... Out of V281 fully balanced is perfection and out of HA-6A even more

Is it better than D8KP technically speaking? NO, is it more fun and addictive? YES

v281 is a great amp for these and many other cans. I found that the DCA Ether Angled pads give the most even sound from top to bottom. I recommend PEQ too, but the common settings slop on too much bass under 100 Hz IMO. I haven't tried the offset pad mod, but I did try the Audeze LCD style attach them all the way around and found that to be awful.

Keep on, nice to have new folks find their way here with new ears and eyes.

Ummm hold on. You don't have a bass shelf? 125 Hz is too high to throw on that much bass IMO. they actually have a slight uptick around 120-150 Hz. I have them on bass shelf +1.4 @ 70 Hz and +2.6 @ 38 Hz also bass shelf. I do like it fast with accurate timbre however.

970 Hz is good. 1900 is actually centered around 1815 Hz on my pair, and 3.8 db and Q of 1.8-2.2 works for me. 3950 Hz is the right place, but .1 db isn't going to do much. 9500 Hz is often a measuring issue. There is in mine a nasty bit of ringing in a very narrow band. For me 9100 Hz -3.4 Q 8 - but you may have to hunt for it, because up there there is a good amount of unit to unit variance from about 8.7-9.8 kHz from what I have been able to gather. Think you may have too many settings in the mid treble with too low a Q settings (meaning broader).

Take a shot at the last one I put up here for myself, and if you can A/B it - to see which you like, or perhaps a blend of the two...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 6:20 AM Post #2,640 of 2,647
v281 is a great amp for these and many other cans. I found that the DCA Ether Angled pads give the most even sound from top to bottom. I recommend PEQ too, but the common settings slop on too much bass under 100 Hz IMO. I haven't tried the offset pad mod, but I did try the Audeze LCD style attach them all the way around and found that to be awful.

Keep on, nice to have new folks find their way here with new ears and eyes.

Ummm hold on. You don't have a bass shelf? 125 Hz is too high to throw on that much bass IMO. they actually have a slight uptick around 120-150 Hz. I have them on bass shelf +1.4 @ 70 Hz and +2.6 @ 38 Hz also bass shelf. I do like it fast with accurate timbre however.

970 Hz is good. 1900 is actually centered around 1815 Hz on my pair, and 3.8 db and Q of 1.8-2.2 works for me. 3950 Hz is the right place, but .1 db isn't going to do much. 9500 Hz is often a measuring issue. There is in mine a nasty bit of ringing in a very narrow band. For me 9100 Hz -3.4 Q 8 - but you may have to hunt for it, because up there there is a good amount of unit to unit variance from about 8.7-9.8 kHz from what I have been able to gather. Think you may have too many settings in the mid treble with too low a Q settings (meaning broader).

Take a shot at the last one I put up here for myself, and if you can A/B it - to see which you like, or perhaps a blend of the two...
Hi there!

I really appreciate this info I find it amazing haha, I'm gonna try your settings, mine are justing playing around Oratory's and finding the best sounding possible way to my ears, the bass is just too much but I enjoy it a lot even tho at night it is non bearable :D

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back