HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Jun 30, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #2,326 of 2,647
How hard is it to replace the crappy headband with the set from ZMF? Haven't been used the he6 since getting rid of my Milo reference but recently fell back in love with the headphone with the gsx mini. Unfortunately the headband is horrible.
There are a few that have done that exact thing, go back in the thread. I think its not an issue but cost. I changed and took off a number of HFM headbands. Just be careful not to crossthread the screws.

I stick with the v1 in part because the head band is much better than the v2.

Jul 21, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #2,328 of 2,647
Just received HE6se back from loan so here are some updates. I also have Audivina loaner headphone currently and will provide some comparison later.

I recommended this headband support accessory for v2 but I found a similar product but with a wider cushion (twice as wide) which is helping tremendously with distributing the weight.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0814D2NG7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Its also easier to install due to proportionally increased extra space inside the zipper.

My preferred pads are out of stock but Im glad I have a set. What I'd like to try next are the pads from my Harmonicdyne Athena they are super comfy and look ideal for the job.

Some mods were added to HE6se by my friend @khbaur330162 which includes driver fuzzor mods and transparent grill. I dont remember what they sounded like prior but the mods and comparative measurements can be found on sbaf. Ill take my own measures and share here since I was banned there. IME a transparent grill didnt make a difference subjectively or by measure. The fuzzor mods however appear more invasive and hopefully an improvement. Listening right now and really like what Im hearing fwiw, and preferable to Audivina for sure.

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #2,329 of 2,647
HE500 Dekoni hybrid VS HE6se New Fantasia sheepskin.jpg

^ HE6se with New Fantasia sheepskin pads VERSUS HE500 with Dekoni hybrids

HE6se (EARS) avg.jpg

^ HE6se stock pads

Bee VS HE500 VS HE6SE VS HD650.jpeg

^ For comparative reference on same rig. HD650 is using new pads. Senn Neutral should be in quotes as I dont agree.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2,330 of 2,647
Some mods were added to HE6se by my friend @khbaur330162 which includes driver fuzzor mods and transparent grill. I dont remember what they sounded like prior but the mods and comparative measurements can be found on sbaf. Ill take my own measures and share here since I was banned there. IME a transparent grill didnt make a difference subjectively or by measure. The fuzzor mods however appear more invasive and hopefully an improvement. Listening right now and really like what Im hearing fwiw, and preferable to Audivina for sure.
Join the SBAF banned club too... too bad, your posts were among the few reasons I ever visit - which is seldom.

Stators on the 6 SE (either) are thinner than the 500 or OG 6, so the fuzzor mod has less of an effect, unless the felt is cut too wide.

Transparent grill? Which one? There are measurements - DIY-Audio-Heaven? from '12-'14 that showed some. I do not think just a freq response every 3rd octave type test is enough. I found that only very open grills (like 85%+) could not be distinguished from no grill.

Jul 21, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #2,332 of 2,647
Just received HE6se back from loan so here are some updates. I also have Audivina loaner headphone currently and will provide some comparison later.

I recommended this headband support accessory for v2 but I found a similar product but with a wider cushion (twice as wide) which is helping tremendously with distributing the weight.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0814D2NG7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Its also easier to install due to proportionally increased extra space inside the zipper.

My preferred pads are out of stock but Im glad I have a set. What I'd like to try next are the pads from my Harmonicdyne Athena they are super comfy and look ideal for the job.

Those pads you linked look interesting. Are they angled or flat? It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but I'm guessing they are flat. Also, how thick are they? Is the earhole similar in size to standard Hifiman pads such as the PeliPad (~60mm)?

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #2,333 of 2,647
Join the SBAF banned club too... too bad, your posts were among the few reasons I ever visit - which is seldom.

Stators on the 6 SE (either) are thinner than the 500 or OG 6, so the fuzzor mod has less of an effect, unless the felt is cut too wide.

Transparent grill? Which one? There are measurements - DIY-Audio-Heaven? from '12-'14 that showed some. I do not think just a freq response every 3rd octave type test is enough. I found that only very open grills (like 85%+) could not be distinguished from no grill.
Transparent grill as shown here.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/hifiman-he-6se.6778/page-17#post-405910

And deeper pad comparisons as shown here.
https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...6se-measurements-and-short-review.8544/page-4

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #2,334 of 2,647
I just finished over a week with some new to me Quad ERA-1's. To me, they are not as detailed or dynamic as the V2's. Now I have moved on to the Nectar Sound Bee's, the world's darkest planar.

Both make me love the HE6se V2's even more. I paid $599.00US (about $950.00 landed, in Canuck bucks) and would do the deal again tomorrow!

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #2,335 of 2,647
Those pads you linked look interesting. Are they angled or flat? It's a bit hard to tell from the photos but I'm guessing they are flat. Also, how thick are they? Is the earhole similar in size to standard Hifiman pads such as the PeliPad (~60mm)?
Flat unfortunately. And same dimensions as Hifiman pads. Not ideal but these New Fanstasia are my favs so far.

Jul 21, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #2,336 of 2,647
I just finished over a week with some new to me Quad ERA-1's. To me, they are not as detailed or dynamic as the V2's. Now I have moved on to the Nectar Sound Bee's, the world's darkest planar.

Both make me love the HE6se V2's even more. I paid $599.00US (about $950.00 landed, in Canuck bucks) and would do the deal again tomorrow!
Nectar Bee is now discontinued. Think twice before selling! Unique properties for a planar and tonal issues can be fixed with EQ as you know. Im going to try padrolling Bee later. Stock pads narrow ear chamber I think is detrimental to comfort, soundstage, and tone in this case.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #2,337 of 2,647
Nectar Bee is now discontinued. Think twice before selling! Unique properties for a planar and tonal issues can be fixed with EQ as you know.

Im going to try padrolling Bee later. Stock pads narrow ear chamber I think is detrimental to comfort, soundstage, and tone.
I have really loaded up on headphones the past few months. Between now and Christmas I am going to be moving several sets along. I already have my Schiit Loki up for sale and will probably move a few amps out too.

Jul 21, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #2,338 of 2,647

I'm so very glad I own my pair! I really think this was one of the best deals as far as pricing went - I got mine under $400... to me given the sound of these, you can't beat that - as long as you own a decently powerful headphone amp which I think most here do.

It's sad to see them not on Adorama anymore like last year - though at that price for this level of sound quality - I'm also not surprised to see them no longer available.

These scale up nicely and improve with a great amp, too - like most people say. And you can play with the pads on them too. I enjoy them greatly with stock pads, but recently got Dekoni Fenestrated which I have been very pleased with - it shifts the sound enough to really give a different flavor to the sound.

Really just an exceptional open back headphone where I can't find fault and paired with the warmer HE-500, covers all my planar needs.

These are fun and engaging while also being extremely detailed and revealing - they preform extremely well technically with things like imaging, separation, and soundstage. Couldn't recommend them enough!

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #2,339 of 2,647
Those New Fantasias look like they fit round cups, but Ananda/XS/Arya? They are also not angled.

As to Pali Pads... on the SE v1 I thought they were meh at best.

Jul 21, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #2,340 of 2,647
I'm so very glad I own my pair! I really think this was one of the best deals as far as pricing went - I got mine under $400... to me given the sound of these, you can't beat that - as long as you own a decently powerful headphone amp which I think most here do.

It's sad to see them not on Adorama anymore like last year - though at that price for this level of sound quality - I'm also not surprised to see them no longer available.

These scale up nicely and improve with a great amp, too - like most people say. And you can play with the pads on them too. I enjoy them greatly with stock pads, but recently got Dekoni Fenestrated which I have been very pleased with - it shifts the sound enough to really give a different flavor to the sound.

Really just an exceptional open back headphone where I can't find fault and paired with the warmer HE-500, covers all my planar needs.

These are fun and engaging while also being extremely detailed and revealing - they preform extremely well technically with things like imaging, separation, and soundstage. Couldn't recommend them enough!
I paid $599.00 and was satisfied. At the time and I think still, HiFiman sells them for $609.00 and calls them open box. I think they have/had a contract with Adorama that they couldn't sell them for less than $600.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back