HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Aug 1, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #2,357 of 2,701
Well I'm back on Pali pads again. They really just sound so good. The other pads are very nice too, but you do lose some of the upper air and treble detailing with them and some soundstage.

Certainly more of a warmer and bassy sound if that is what you want but everything is a trade off in this hobby.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #2,358 of 2,701
Well I'm back on Pali pads again. They really just sound so good. The other pads are very nice too, but you do lose some of the upper air and treble detailing with them and some soundstage.

Certainly more of a lush and bassy sound if that is what you want but everything is a trade off in this hobby.
For me it is stock pads, more open grills and a few Nuggets. And away you go. :relaxed:

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #2,359 of 2,701
Wondering if anyone has experience with the HE6 V2 Adorama limited edition and Focal cables.

I'm curious about the fit as the 3.5mm cable termination looks like there is a notch on the cups that may not fit the Focal cable.

I'd like to run the V2's balanced but don't want to purchase a separate aftermarket cable.

Any info would be appreciated.
Cable is the least of your concerns. You got a speaker quality amp to drive it?

Aug 1, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #2,360 of 2,701
They're so freaking good, these HE6SE. There was no better deal in audio in my humble opinion than when this headphone was priced at $400.

These will play all genres beautifully. I can switch from acoustic vocal only stuff and it is memorizing, absolute perfection - to EDM and I'm jamming - these things are absolutely rocking. Anything and everything in between. I can run em' on Deckard or FA-10. It sounds the best in literally every category to me - bass, mids, highs. Technically - imaging, separation, dynamics, detail. Like you name it, this wins it.

The only thing I like to a similar degree as these is my HE-500, which not surprisingly - shares many of the same characteristics.

This hobby has essentially ended now for me because of these two freaking headphones which are doing everything for me that I wanted from a headphone since I started here 10 years ago. Everything I am purchasing after is getting sold right back in short order because they are not as good. Just keeping a few more efficient closed backs and the HD600 which knows how to do mids and fits the bill when I want something more relaxed on top.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #2,361 of 2,701
Cable is the least of your concerns. You got a speaker quality amp to drive it?
I sold it before I had a powerful enough amp to drive it. To be honest I hated the build quality, especially the super uncomfortable headband.

After I sold it I heard it on a friends HeadAmp GSX-Mini and I wasn't impressed.

I vastly prefer the LCDX 2021's tonality and love it's look and comfort.

The only HiFiMan that i'm interested in that I haven't heard is the Arya Organic.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,362 of 2,701
lol..my bad for necro the OP. Not surprised you didn't like the HE6 on GSX mini. Even GSX mk2 is not fully adequate for HE6. Go big or go home when it comes to HE6.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #2,363 of 2,701
lol..my bad for necro the OP. Not surprised you didn't like the HE6 on GSX mini. Even GSX mk2 is not fully adequate for HE6. Go big or go home when it comes to HE6.
I haven't heard the original HE6 but it's on my list.

The HE6SE needs considerable less power from what I've heard but I think it's tonality just wasn't to my liking. I'm more of an old school Audeze fan for planars of that size so it is what it is.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:18 PM Post #2,364 of 2,701
I haven't heard the original HE6 but it's on my list.

The HE6SE needs considerable less power from what I've heard but I think it's tonality just wasn't to my liking. I'm more of an old school Audeze fan for planars of that size so it is what it is.
The V2's are awesome with the right amp. For me it is the iFi Pro iCAN with liberal use of 3D and bass boost sound effects. I don't find that they need a ton of power. I use mine in mid-gain and I can't go much past 10:00, depending on the music. I can't imagine ever selling these, says the guy who resells almost everything.:relaxed:

But of course, we all hear differently.

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #2,365 of 2,701
You may not need to use those sound effects if you just power the cans with a bigger amp. I just need to find a pad that can tone down a bit of that excess treble energy - it's extended and not sibilant but messes with timbre of instruments and voices.

Aug 2, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,366 of 2,701
You may not need to use those sound effects if you just power the cans with a bigger amp. I just need to find a pad that can tone down a bit of that excess treble energy - it's extended and not sibilant but messes with timbre of instruments and voices.
Unlike a lot of people I do not find them very bassy at all, no matter how much power they have. But they take to bass boost/EQ like an Argon.

My Pro iCAN has Lots more power to give. I just don't need it and can't use it. Of course I am a quiet listener who rarely goes above 75Db's.

The LP had tons of power, but the sound didn't move me at all. I did add a Schiit Loki which added gain and bass, which made them much better.
But then I moved on to the iFi and I was done!

More power wouldn't do anything for me. I can't even use half the power that the Pro iCAN puts out.
But that partnership is addictive to me. :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 8:33 PM Post #2,367 of 2,701
Unlike a lot of people I do not find them very bassy at all, no matter how much power they have. But they take to bass boost/EQ like an Argon.

My Pro iCAN has Lots more power to give. I just don't need it and can't use it. Of course I am a quiet listener who rarely goes above 75Db's.

The LP had tons of power, but the sound didn't move me at all. I did add a Schiit Loki which added gain and bass, which made them much better.
But then I moved on to the iFi and I was done!

More power wouldn't do anything for me. I can't even use half the power that the Pro iCAN puts out.
But that partnership is addictive to me. :L3000:
Agreed. HE6se have good punch, but not a lot of bass. I prefer Argons Mk3 for how warm they sound.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:11 PM Post #2,368 of 2,701
I enjoyed the T50RP Argons enough until I got my HE6se v2. The Argon bass was luscious and rich for sure, a great pleasure. But there was a drop-off like a sheer cliff at about 60hz for me, just zero sub-bass. Not really my bag, as far as planars go. Plus the highs tended towards harshness far too much for my taste. The HE6se v2 has much better sub-bass extension (with ample EQ, power, and modding, anyway), and the highs can be sizzly for sure, but the right audio chain and EQ can tame it, I find. Whereas I just couldn't rein in the harshness on the Argons without totally veiling and obscuring the highs in general.

The T50RP Argon was probably the most dynamic-driver-sounding planar headphone I've heard. And that's fine, except comparing it to my other planars, the HE6se v2 does what I want planars to do much much better, and comparing it to my dynamics, there's a lot of overlap in tonality between it and the Senn HD6xx and I prefer the Senn. So, it was a fun honeymoon with the Argons for sure, but the shine came off the apple pretty shortly after for me.

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #2,369 of 2,701
I enjoyed the T50RP Argons enough until I got my HE6se v2. The Argon bass was luscious and rich for sure, a great pleasure. But there was a drop-off like a sheer cliff at about 60hz for me, just zero sub-bass. Not really my bag, as far as planars go. Plus the highs tended towards harshness far too much for my taste. The HE6se v2 has much better sub-bass extension (with ample EQ, power, and modding, anyway), and the highs can be sizzly for sure, but the right audio chain and EQ can tame it, I find. Whereas I just couldn't rein in the harshness on the Argons without totally veiling and obscuring the highs in general.

The T50RP Argon was probably the most dynamic-driver-sounding planar headphone I've heard. And that's fine, except comparing it to my other planars, the HE6se v2 does what I want planars to do much much better, and comparing it to my dynamics, there's a lot of overlap in tonality between it and the Senn HD6xx and I prefer the Senn. So, it was a fun honeymoon with the Argons for sure, but the shine came off the apple pretty shortly after for me.
Interesting. To me Argons Mk3 had way less top end than HE6se V2. Mk3 were very warm. The Argon T60rp yes, they were harsh for sure!

I’ve tried add some bass using Mojo2 as a DAC to CMA15 and HE6se V2 were still not bassy enough for me 🤷‍♂️

You might wanna check out new Tungsten. It’s definitely next step from HE6se V2. I didn’t have HE6se V2 that day, but I will compare them soon. Tungsten blew away Arya V1 out of the water.

Attachments

• 2023-07-15 14.29.50.jpeg
    2023-07-15 14.29.50.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #2,370 of 2,701
After I sold it I heard it on a friends HeadAmp GSX-Mini and I wasn't impressed.
I vastly prefer the LCDX 2021's tonality and love it's look and comfort.

Not surprised you didn't like the HE6 on GSX mini. Even GSX mk2 is not fully adequate for HE6.
I own the HeadAmp GS-X mini. When pairing with HiFiMan HE6se V2, I much prefer my Questyle CMA Twelve and Rebel Audio RebelAmp over the GS-X mini. I also like to pair it with my Quicksilver Headphone Amplifier but it is just barely adequate for those of you that like to crank up and equalize bass boost. As long as I keep the volume at moderate normal listening levels, it does not clip.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back