HifiMan HE6 V2 Adorama
Jan 31, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #616 of 2,647
Yeah, had them for a while, still contemplating if moving mesh screen from stock grill is worth it, technically it might negate the effect of the open grill mod.
Spray adhesive worked pretty well, was afraid to mess everything up, but it turned out much better than I expected.
Used this one Scotch Super 77 Multipurpose Adhesive Spray
- Peel screen mesh from stock grills
- Use rubber gloves
- Do one grill at a time
- Position grill on a paper towel, shake can well and spray from 8-12", make sure to have some adhesive mist on all parts, do not overdo
- Move sprayed grill to clean paper towel
- Carefully align with tweezers stock mesh over honeycomb, try to get it right first time so you don't have to reposition
- Use something like butt of screwdriver to press mesh in place
- Do the other grill

Turned out pretty clean with no overspray.

Attachments

• 0131221310a.jpg
    0131221310a.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #617 of 2,647
I like it quite well with a LP, although I've got some new-to-me amps coming that should take it up a notch (more for my new Susvara, but also will enjoy seeing how the HE6SE scales).

Apparently - and you can take this with as big a grain of salt as you like, since I still haven't tried much beefier than the LP yet - there's "drives it really well" and then "drives it to its potential." I've been playing a little bit with an old Harman/Kardon AVR with a Hifiman HE-Adapter going to the speaker taps since last night. Hard to give a real judgment as most of my time I've been on Zoom calls, and there ain't nothing useful about a well-driven planar on Zoom, but we'll see.

Ooh, what amp did you get for your Susvara? On my unlimited-budget-I-just-won-the-lottery shopping list, I have a Susvara and a Ferrum Oor+Hypsos.

But yeah, it's these little grains of salt that I'm interested in testing when it doesn't require me buying new hardware. Like I said, I already have an AVR to play with in the living room, so when I get an HE6, yeah, I'd like to hook them up and see how they play together. It's a Marantz SR5002, manual says it's good for 90Wpc@8ohms. I don't know what that'd work out to at 50 ohms, maybe around 10W or 15W. But yeah. I already have it. May as well use it. At least if there's known ways to do it safely. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #618 of 2,647
I have been doing this for years, with headphones of many different stripes, and without (explosive) incident. Just practice prudence and zero the knob before slowly introducing volume to the headphones. It has not always been the best match, but more times than not the results have been worthwhile.

One benefit I find with using a power amp and a speaker taps-to-4-pin XLR adapter is that I can get excellent, "high end head amp" (heha) sound without having to pay heha prices.

Am currently driving the HE-6se v.2 "conventionally" and satisfactorily with the S.M.S.L. SP200 (high gain, volume at noon; about 2.35W/50ohms), together with the Topping D50s DAC.

Have also used the Wadia 151PowerDAC mini (rated at 25wpc/8ohms;~3.5W/50ohms) and the Wyred4Sound mINT (rated at 100wpc/8ohms;~17W/50ohms). I have the bel canto e.One C5i DAC/amp on deck (60wpc/8ohms;~10W/50ohms), which I think might be a very good match for the HE-6se v.2.

Here are a few shots of the Wadia 151 directly powering the HiFiMan Sundara (a great match, BTW). Volume was at 32 on a scale from 0 min to 72 max on the Wadia:IMG_20211126_093316761.jpgIMG_20211126_093326117.jpgIMG_20211126_093333816.jpg

When I had the original HE-6, the Linn Intek (50wpc/8ohms) and Qinpu A-1.0X (100wpc/8ohms) drove them with aplomb and, again, without incident.
Bel canto. I don't think they have ever put out a dog. All very nice amps. A great match I would think for the 6SE.

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #619 of 2,647
Ooh, what amp did you get for your Susvara? On my unlimited-budget-I-just-won-the-lottery shopping list, I have a Susvara and a Ferrum Oor+Hypsos.

But yeah, it's these little grains of salt that I'm interested in testing when it doesn't require me buying new hardware. Like I said, I already have an AVR to play with in the living room, so when I get an HE6, yeah, I'd like to hook them up and see how they play together. It's a Marantz SR5002, manual says it's good for 90Wpc@8ohms. I don't know what that'd work out to at 50 ohms, maybe around 10W or 15W. But yeah. I already have it. May as well use it. At least if there's known ways to do it safely. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I have 3 options coming and will likely keep 2 - a Flux FA-10, an OG iFi Pro iCan and a Burson Conductor 3XP. Burson and iFi were good deals on Classifieds here.

Jan 31, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #620 of 2,647
I have 3 options coming and will likely keep 2 - a Flux FA-10, an OG iFi Pro iCan and a Burson Conductor 3XP. Burson and iFi were good deals on Classifieds here.
Very curious to hear your thoughts on the iFi. It is becoming the only amp that I use for everything.

Jan 31, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #621 of 2,647
Very curious to hear your thoughts on the iFi. It is becoming the only amp that I use for everything.
+1 (Signature Edition)

20220131_200111.jpg

Jan 31, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #623 of 2,647
Feb 1, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #624 of 2,647
I've used Super73 for many automotive applications with Carbon Fiber. You really need to know to use it, don't overdo it. Some people think more is better but sometimes it just makes things messy and does not necessarily hold any better. For the kinda mesh we are using on these headphones and grills, a light one or two coats from a far distance is good enough.

Feb 1, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #626 of 2,647
The HE6se v.2 are doing a superb job of rendering Bruckner's 4th Symphony.

1643768751266.png
How is the build quality? Are they as, um, "value feeling" as the HE-560's that I returned? Honestly, that was the biggest turn-off for me, and what makes me very reticent to purchase any other HiFiman products.

Feb 1, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #628 of 2,647
How is the build quality? Are they as, um, "value feeling" as the HE-560's that I returned? Honestly, that was the biggest turn-off for me, and what makes me very reticent to purchase any other HiFiman products.
The HE6se v2 is much heavier than the HE560 v4 and feels more "solid" and "premium" in the hand, but it's harder on the neck and scalp. Actual construction quality is basically the same since the cups/headband are made from the same parts. Not worried about either breaking or falling apart, though. I think all of the extra weight of the HE6se comes from the additional magnets and the driver structure.

Feb 1, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #629 of 2,647
The HE6se v.2 are pretty solid, by HFM standards, and at this level. The fit is loose around my head, and the pads are not very roomy, either. Like Andrew_WOT and many HFM owners say/infer: it is not so much about the construction aesthetic, it is about the sound.

I have owned (and enjoyed) several HFM products* over the years and have only had a failed ear pad on the Ananda. Whereas, I have had functionally defective Utopias.

*[HE-5, HE-5LE, HE-500, HE-6, HE-560 v.1, HE-560 v.2, HE-1000se, Sundara, Ananda v.2, Ananda Stealth Magnets and HE-6se v.2]

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #630 of 2,647
I find it ironic that they lowered the price on the he6 v2 but you have to spend almost as much as the headphones are worth to make them comfortable and sound to there full potential, this hobby can get ridiculous :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back