Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 8, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #3,301 of 3,904
After a week of listening as is, I decided to check my Adorama V2 for the driver damage reported on this thread. The retaining rings came off fairly easily enough, but one snapped in half in the process. A good thing that hifiman sells replacements for $10. Hopefully they get here soon.

Thankfully there was a lot of obvious space between driver and magnets. I have to wonder what kind of displacement would be required to push the drivers into the magnets? The drivers look extremely flat/level, so I doubt they're stuck to the pad side magnets.

Has anyone seen theirs stuck to the pad side magnets?

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #3,302 of 3,904
After a week of listening as is, I decided to check my Adorama V2 for the driver damage reported on this thread. The retaining rings came off fairly easily enough, but one snapped in half in the process. A good thing that hifiman sells replacements for $10. Hopefully they get here soon.

Thankfully there was a lot of obvious space between driver and magnets. I have to wonder what kind of displacement would be required to push the drivers into the magnets? The drivers look extremely flat/level, so I doubt they're stuck to the pad side magnets.

Has anyone seen theirs stuck to the pad side magnets?
Not exactly an answer but I bought steel grilles from member @BowWazoo and when I was putting them on they stuck to the magnets. The magnets are hell strong.

I was worried about the diaphrams but I see they are on the ear side, not on the pad side. So I don't see any way the diaphrams could stick to the pad side magnets.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #3,303 of 3,904
Hi, I just bought a pair of Hifiman HE6SE first edition and I didn't even got them yet and I am worried that I didn't think straight when I bought them because I am more of an iem guy and I don't have big amplifiers to drive them. I have only amplifiers more suited for iems but I am wondering if they are going to be able to drive the HE6SE. The amplifiers that I have are Romi BX2 plus that has 5.9 w in balanced mode at 32 ohms, Cayin C9 that only has 2600 mW at 32 ohms and Aroma Audio A100. What do you guys think, should I be worried, or the amps I have are going to be able to power the HE6SE?

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #3,304 of 3,904
Hi, I just bought a pair of Hifiman HE6SE first edition and I didn't even got them yet and I am worried that I didn't think straight when I bought them because I am more of an iem guy and I don't have big amplifiers to drive them. I have only amplifiers more suited for iems but I am wondering if they are going to be able to drive the HE6SE. The amplifiers that I have are Romi BX2 plus that has 5.9 w in balanced mode at 32 ohms, Cayin C9 that only has 2600 mW at 32 ohms and Aroma Audio A100. What do you guys think, should I be worried, or the amps I have are going to be able to power the HE6SE?
The Romi has an insane amount of power for an IEM amp :p

Anyway, should work fine with the HE6SE :)

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #3,305 of 3,904
The Romi is more than enough. The 6 screw and all SE models of the HE-6 are fine with 2 wpc@50 ohms.

The whole 100+ wpc amp thing is a red herring. In 2010 when they came out hardly any headphone amps could drive them. So integrated amps, amps, and recievers rated for "high" power came into use.

My Ragnarok 1 puts out 100 wpc into 4 ohms, and 10 into 50 ohms (balanced). Most of the units I mentioned pressed into this function don't scale as well as the Rag. For example an 80 watt@8 ohms SS reciever from 1978 might only put out 2 or 3 wpc @ 50 ohms - if the power supply, leaky caps, and protection circuitry allows it. Back then loads past 16 ohms were not envisaged, designed for, or tested.

Get a Lyr+ or a Jot 2 that are excellent, and won't need maintenance for 30+ years.

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #3,306 of 3,904
The Romi is more than enough. The 6 screw and all SE models of the HE-6 are fine with 2 wpc@50 ohms.

The whole 100+ wpc amp thing is a red herring. In 2010 when they came out hardly any headphone amps could drive them. So integrated amps, amps, and recievers rated for "high" power came into use.

My Ragnarok 1 puts out 100 wpc into 4 ohms, and 10 into 50 ohms (balanced). Most of the units I mentioned pressed into this function don't scale as well as the Rag. For example an 80 watt@8 ohms SS reciever from 1978 might only put out 2 or 3 wpc @ 50 ohms - if the power supply, leaky caps, and protection circuitry allows it. Back then loads past 16 ohms were not envisaged, designed for, or tested.

Get a Lyr+ or a Jot 2 that are excellent, and won't need maintenance for 30+ years.
Stop saying that.
HE6seV2 is brighter on incapable amps like Singxer, Monolith THX, Drop THX, even though they're capable to provide volume. I know because I tested them and compared to my Crown. Jot 2 and Lyr+ are sufficient volume wise, but I reckon they won't provide the stage and bass response these cans are famous for. I actually have Jot 2 and Lyr 3 waiting to be fixed here. For practical and life reasons, I'm selling my entire setup to minimize costs. I confess that, of all its units, my monoblocks are the least I wanna sell. Why? Because I know they're insane powering the HE-6 and I'd like to own a big rig for them again in some time.
Why haven't you sold your Rag and bought a Jot 2? 😅

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #3,307 of 3,904
Stop saying that.
HE6seV2 is brighter on incapable amps like Singxer, Monolith THX, Drop THX, even though they're capable to provide volume. I know because I tested them and compared to my Crown. Jot 2 and Lyr+ are sufficient volume wise, but I reckon they won't provide the stage and bass response these cans are famous for. I actually have Jot 2 and Lyr 3 waiting to be fixed here. For practical and life reasons, I'm selling my entire setup to minimize costs. I confess that, of all its units, my monoblocks are the least I wanna sell. Why? Because I know they're insane powering the HE-6 and I'd like to own a big rig for them again in some time.
Do you own a THX amp now? Can you comment on how resolving your Crown amp is versus the THX? I have a THX, and am not sure I'm willing to trade the better tone for all the microdetail these pick up.

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #3,308 of 3,904
Do you own a THX amp now? Can you comment on how resolving your Crown amp is versus the THX? I have a THX, and am not sure I'm willing to trade the better tone for all the microdetail these pick up.
No. I don't.
My Crown was close to Soloist 3XP, albeit the latter definitely sounded more refined (better imaging).
But for a cheap way of powering HE-6, speaker amps are the way to go, specially if you prioritize soundstage and bass.
Here in Brazil, there are a lot of speaker amps afficionados (converted by me).
They tried Singxer, iFi Diablo, A30 Pro, BHA-1, etc, etc, and all of them agree that speaker amps offer the best price-to-performance ratio.
Now that I'm selling all my stuff and focusing more on my life, I won't be as present here.
But I'll do my best to help with my experience from time to time.

Cheers
Gui

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #3,309 of 3,904
No. I don't.
My Crown was close to Soloist 3XP, albeit the latter definitely sounded more refined (better imaging).
But for a cheap way of powering HE-6, speaker amps are the way to go, specially if you prioritize soundstage and bass.
They tried Singxer, iFi Diablo, A30 Pro, BHA-1, etc, etc, and all of them agree that speaker amps offer the best price-to-performance ratio.
Now that I'm selling all my stuff and focusing more on my life, I won't be as present here.

Cheers
Gui
CFA3. :wink:

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #3,310 of 3,904
My dream :)

I was dreaming hard about it, sending you questions, but I came to realize I don't really have the time neither the resources to build/acquire it right now.
So sorry to be a quitter.
Maybe in 5 years or less?
Gonna work hard to be able to afford it + an OG HE-6 4 screws (there's one for ~1900 USD right now =/

Thanks for the message, bro,
Gui

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,311 of 3,904
My dream :)

I was dreaming hard about it, sending you questions, but I came to realize I don't really have the time neither the resources to build/acquire it right now.
So sorry to be a quitter.
Maybe in 5 years or less?
Gonna work hard to be able to afford it + an OG HE-6 4 screws (there's one for ~1900 USD right now =/

Thanks for the message, bro,
Gui
The CFA3 isn't going anywhere whenever you are ready. I saw that HE-6, they're dwindling!

Oct 9, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #3,312 of 3,904
Stop saying that.
I like to give hope to those with lesser amps...

Geez, cant you keep your monoblocks and the 6 SE locked away in a storage bin? Cost you more to re buy them. Well u know best, good luck.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #3,313 of 3,904
No. I don't.

Cheers
Gui
Just remember A SS amp (leaving out the Krell, Pass, Boulder super amps) that is say 100 wpc@4 ohms is very possibly not even going to be 2 wpc @ 50 ohms. Unless tested.or specified there is no way to know.

Amps over 25 years old may need a full recap. I was listening to a Fisher SA-1000 (a legend from the early 60's) driving a mint pair of AR-3's when a cap(s) went in the mid 90's. Blew up the tweeters and burnt up a resistor in the xover. Noisy too. And that amp needed to be basically rebuilt.

I agree that headphone only amps have limited use if they are under say 8 wpc@8 ohms. Or only run estats or ribbons. That's why I bought a multi purpose amp with a balanced headphone out.

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3,314 of 3,904
I like to give hope to those with lesser amps...

Geez, cant you keep your monoblocks and the 6 SE locked away in a storage bin? Cost you more to re buy them. Well u know best, good luck.
Haha

I might keep only the monoblocks then, thinking better.
It's gonna be hard, down the line, to find a better and more effective way of powering a pair of HE6seV2.
The headphones I'll sell for sure because Adorama keeps lowering their price.
I can just buy them new later.

Thanks, man.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #3,315 of 3,904
Haha

I might keep only the monoblocks then, thinking better.
It's gonna be hard, down the line, to find a better and effective way of powering a pair of HE6seV2.
The headphones I'll sell for sure because Adorama keeps lowering their price.
I can just buy them new later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back