Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 9, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,316 of 3,915
By that time it'll be v3 or more....

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #3,317 of 3,915
Well, I would say that my Flux FA-10 is good enough to drive HE6SE, was thinking buying speaker amp but eventually gave up since I don't believe there is a siginifiant improvement.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #3,318 of 3,915
US$449: https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

2022 and people still don't know about the emailprice link hehe :)

On a different matter, I've compared DCA Ether Angled Earpads to Stock Earpads and here are my findings (both with open grills):

1:34 of "Tornado of Souls" from Megadeth.
There's a cymbal, on the left side, at the level of my eyes/forehead.
With the stock pads, this cymbal isn't so clear and it blends into the vocal, with a "in your head" sensation.
With the DCA pads, the cymbal is more clear and its position is more distinct from the vocal (I think layering is improved?), to the left side, with greater stage/separation.

2:08 - 2:10 of the same song.
This sequence of drums have more texture with the DCA pads, with a physical and tactile presence of bass coming and going.
With the stock pads, there's just a hit and it's gone. It even feels dry, in comparison.

So: DCA Ether Angled Earpads improve the frequency response, with greater clarity, stage and separation and texture.
Highly recommended by me.
Thanks @bagwell359 and others on this thread for the recommendation.
Now I'm happier with my HE6seV2.
Next I wanna do the bass mod with double sided tape to increase sub-to-mid bass.
Where can I find those grilles?

Oct 13, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #3,319 of 3,915
Recently got he6sev2 with grill mod. Sounds better than V1. Got them specifically for EDM, Rock/Metal, modern pop. Pairs very well with my speaker amp.
IMG_4375.jpg

Oct 13, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #3,320 of 3,915
Recently got he6sev2 with grill mod. Sounds better than V1. Got them specifically for EDM, Rock/Metal, modern pop. Pairs very well with my speaker amp. IMG_4375.jpg
Where did you get the grilles? I have very similar ones.

Oct 13, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #3,322 of 3,915
Thanks, this is very odd. I paid 50 bucks euros each for two sets of grilles which I understood were made by a member here who lives in Europe, but they're identical in finish and material to the ones you linked.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #3,323 of 3,915
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #3,324 of 3,915
I bought from Arctic cables for $19, somebody here is probably making a profit out of it.

Oct 16, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3,326 of 3,915
Per a couple of my previous posts - I was looking for a value speaker amp to supplement my THX 887 headphone amp. Besides the Emotiva - I was recommended to go the vintage speaker amp route. When I did my research though I was concerned about aging capacitors and not knowing which amps were actually good. I was just about set to get an ADCOM GFA 545 (used for about $250) - when the recent Amazon/Best Buy sales put a modern Sony Receiver at $150. The STRDH190. I actually bought an open box, excellent unit for $122. A couple professional reviewer sites including the wire cutter had it highly rated and that convinced me to give it a shot:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-stereo-receiver/

I know audiosciencereview did not rate it highly, largely because theirs blew up. But since I'm using it with headphones at low power - I never considered that a risk. I made a basic XLR to speaker tap cable, and gave it a shot this weekend. The one caveat is that I put my new ebay grills on the headphones, so I'm not sure which benefits are due to the grills versus the receiver.

In short - I'm very pleasantly surprised about the sound versus the THX. They added some soundstage, recessing the mids slightly - but the bass is now palpable. I'm super impressed by the bass quantity now. Since the mids sound slightly further back in the mix - I think I lose some microdetail, but the treble is now under control as well. It hasn't been harsh yet.

Has anyone else tried a basic, modern stereo receiver? Right now - I'm not sure if I could hear much benefit if I did manage to buy a good condition ADCOM. I bought this receiver from Best Buy since it could be easily returned, but I'm not likely to return it now. I wish I had access to a better speaker amp to compare. If anyone's interested in the Sony STRDH190 I'm sure it'll go back on sale for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #3,327 of 3,915
Just got the He6se v2 and not too sure at the moment. I am using a Chord Qutest DAC with a singxer sa 1 amp.
They sound very lean and bight, almost echoey on some music. When I press the earpads I can hear the driver crinkle, is this normal?
The HE6se V2 will sound better when you run 4 volts or greater in XLR to the SA-1.

Oct 20, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #3,328 of 3,915
Yes entropy is a condition every physical item goes thru eventually. Strange you believe in that. - yet hold that Mylar film and sub woofers do not change unless it's by entropy. I have seen Magneplanar documentation describe the change in Mylar with recommended break-in 1975 which is about 3 years before the high end really got going. I.E. everyone used zip cord, nobody had an MC cartridge, people put their speakers on the floor or milk crates or cinder bocks or books shelves. I used to sell Maggie's in the early 80's - I and II's and they really sounded unfocused, 2D, and bright until break-in - and the other 3 guys I worked with agreed - of course two of them loved Dynavector Rubies with the VTA out of whack... So maybe they didn't have good ears.
BREAK-IN IS REAL!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Peter Aczel in Issue 12 (1988) of The Audio Critic the Carver Amazing Loudspeaker (w/ a dipole midtweeter) - his Class B speaker choice then, "IT MUST BE BROKEN IN, HOWEVER, BEFORE YOU MAKE ANY JUDGEMENTS"

This is critical because the strident ABX folks of the past 40 years were created and in large part inspired by Aczel and the Critic.

It was the first anti-bible against the audiophile gang (TAS & Stereophile). Aczel did have some fine insights early on, but the Critic became an disengenuous agitating beacon for the objective mantra thereafter. Tom Nousaine, Arny K. and all the rest of our heroes past and present born of that womb.

Good to know.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #3,329 of 3,915
New to the he6sev2. I got some dt 1770s and immediately disliked them. Then got the he6sev2 and instantly fell in love.

I'm running them off of my fiio m17 ok enhanced over ear headphone mode.

With a little eq they sound like my endgame headphones.

I am listening to my fiio max volume. So I was looking into amps. Got the hifiman ef400 today and it was way weaker than the m17.

Now I'm looking at the dsd signature or Diablo. Just something to give it some more juice that'll compliment the m17.

Open to suggestions.

I think ill try the 3d printed backs as well as different pads. Going to look here more for mod tutorials.

Nov 5, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #3,330 of 3,915
Last request. Here's my settings on the he6sev2 in my fiio m17. I prefer the hiby music player because it has the mseb equalizer.

I'm debating purchasing the abyss but not sure I'll get much different of an experience.

My he6sev2 sounds really good with these settings, I just need some more power as I'm sometimes listening at max volume

If anyone happens to have a m17, these headphones and also the knowledge of totl/summit-fi experience like this. Please let me know.

Attachments

• 20221105_111711.jpg
    20221105_111711.jpg
    1,020 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221105_111719.jpg
    20221105_111719.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back