Hifiman HE6-SE
Nov 5, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #3,331 of 3,915
Last request. Here's my settings on the he6sev2 in my fiio m17. I prefer the hiby music player because it has the mseb equalizer.

I'm debating purchasing the abyss but not sure I'll get much different of an experience.

My he6sev2 sounds really good with these settings, I just need some more power as I'm sometimes listening at max volume

If anyone happens to have a m17, these headphones and also the knowledge of totl/summit-fi experience like this. Please let me know.
Get 2 of these and you're set for life: https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-amps/hypex-nc400-mono-amplifier-kit-400-watts/
Pair with a desk DAC, R-2R if you value natural sound and 3D holographic big stage, and GG.

Nov 5, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #3,333 of 3,915
Also the tracks I listen to most:

Chad VanGaalen - Red Hot Drops

Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day

Angus & Julia Stone - Draw Your Swords

I read Van Halen :D

Anyway, HE6SE V2 is pretty hard to beat on vocal presence.

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #3,334 of 3,915
I was blown away by my demo of ZMF VO druing CanJam SoCal and somehow I ended up bought an Atrium. Just received and I am a little bit dissappointed since I don't feel it is an upgrade to my HE6SE V2 in anyway, just in tuning it is a little mids forward, but in term of detail retrieval, extension on both end, HE6SE is simply much better. I still need time but if this initial impression is justified, I guess I have to sell my Atrium and move on. It is hard to beat HE6SE without spending way much.

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #3,335 of 3,915
Actually, my main rational point (other than my subjective feeling of the music sounding fake) is that the manufacturers of my DAC or AMP know what they are doing, so their coloration is not the same as mine.
When I was working as a photographer it took me years to be confident enough to edit my pictures in a way they would change, let's say heavy editing.

Also, no software can do what optics does. You can't do the Nikkor 105 f2.8 bokeh via software.
Maybe for audio it's the same...

Photographer here. That made me cringe hard. There's nothing special about that lens.

Back to reading about amps...

Nov 6, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #3,336 of 3,915
Does anyone here read the EF400 thread?
As HE6SE owner, worth a look in there...

20220611_101908 (1).jpg
I got this and returned it a couple days ago. Had mine on high gain and max volume. Could hardly hear anything. My fiio m17 was at least 4x as loud. And still not loud enough. But my ears are ringing atm so maybe I'm where I need to be.

I must have gotten a defective ef400 amp.

Nov 6, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #3,337 of 3,915
I was blown away by my demo of ZMF VO druing CanJam SoCal and somehow I ended up bought an Atrium. Just received and I am a little bit dissappointed since I don't feel it is an upgrade to my HE6SE V2 in anyway, just in tuning it is a little mids forward, but in term of detail retrieval, extension on both end, HE6SE is simply much better. I still need time but if this initial impression is justified, I guess I have to sell my Atrium and move on. It is hard to beat HE6SE without spending way much.
I'm building my system around my modded HE6seV2.
It's worth because even though they're cheap, they scale like hell.
They were already good with a budget setup.
It's funny because I was using a cheap audio interface as DAC.
And I distinctly remember I was amazed.

Though every time I improved something in my chain, they showed it. Even power cables. So it's got very pricey quickly.
Still, the cost of my entire setup, is the MSRP of a TOTL headphones ONLY.
I'm gonna update my signature soon as I'm about to buy a DDC and a PREAMP.
I can't wait to hear what this project is gonna deliver.

My tip: focus on extracting all the juice from these headphones. It's a fun little experiment, that is so satisfying and cheap, in comparison to other offerings.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #3,338 of 3,915
Our drivers actually do need 100-200 hours of burn in to sound their best, if you ordered it new or didn't get one that is fully burned in then it needs time.

Also, you can't judge one of our dynamic headphones on the same amp as a hard to drive planar. Planars need high voltage at low impedance and our dynamics will sound much worse on a system optimized for a planar like that, whereas the inverse is true where an atrium will sound amazing on an OTL, but the planar will sound terrible on the same otl. This is where these variables make any finite statement about one headphone moot, as use case scenario and chain plays too much of a role.

The VO is its own thing too, Atrium is tuned very differently.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 6, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #3,339 of 3,915
Our drivers actually do need 100-200 hours of burn in to sound their best, if you ordered it new or didn't get one that is fully burned in then it needs time.

Also, you can't judge one of our dynamic headphones on the same amp as a hard to drive planar. Planars need high voltage at low impedance and our dynamics will sound much worse on a system optimized for a planar like that, whereas the inverse is true where an atrium will sound amazing on an OTL, but the planar will sound terrible on the same otl. This is where these variables make any finite statement about one headphone moot, as use case scenario and chain plays too much of a role.

The VO is its own thing too, Atrium is tuned very differently.
Will spend more time exploring, any recommendation for an entry level OTL tube amp for Atriuim?

Nov 6, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #3,340 of 3,915
Will spend more time exploring, any recommendation for an entry level OTL tube amp for Atriuim?
Schiit Valhalla, Massdrop ZDT, cayin HA 6 {solid state but with high impedance options}, feliks echo, little dot amps and woo wa6 come to mind, I'm sure there's others. Output impedance matters more than strictly tubes or not tubes etc.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 7, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #3,341 of 3,915
Schiit Valhalla, Massdrop ZDT, cayin HA 6 {solid state but with high impedance options}, feliks echo, little dot amps and woo wa6 come to mind, I'm sure there's others. Output impedance matters more than strictly tubes or not tubes etc.
Do you like the WA6 better than the WA2 for your high impedance dynamics?

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #3,342 of 3,915
Just buy a Crown D-75A.
Speaker amp with 40W @ 8 Ohm.
With full power straight to 1/4 inch output.
Use a preamp if you wanna better control.
$169.99 on eBay.
So do you make a custom cable with two 1/4" jacks for L/R?
Edit: nevermind...you would have to take the speaker outputs of the amp...and make a 1/4" female jack?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #3,343 of 3,915
Edit: nevermind...you would have to take the speaker outputs of the amp...and make a 1/4" female jack?
banana or spade (or bare wire) to female 4pin XLR.

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #3,344 of 3,915
makes sense, thank you

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #3,345 of 3,915
People talk about DC offset issues with Crown D-75A.
I bought mine here in Brazil.
In fact I had 3x.
Sold one. Kept 2 for mono blocks configuration.
Really happy with them.
Your mileage may vary.
And it's better to have it checked by a professional first.
This specific unit doesn't need an adapter as you can just plug your HE6seV2 directly into the 1/4 inch output (same power as binding posts).
Otherwise, if you wanna plug into speaker taps, or use mono blocks, you need to buy cheap binding post to bananas female adapters from Amazon. Then use a bananas male to XLR female adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back