Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #3,286 of 3,903
I finally bought a hifiman 6SE V2 last week, I couldn't resist the $450 sale price - though I definitely didn't need them. :) I've been listening to them through a Monoprice THX 887 amp and am really enjoying them. I've read a lot of posts on here saying the 887 can't properly drive them, so I've been thinking about getting a speaker amp to try.

I read a comparative review of the THX 887 and an Emotiva BasX A100 - and it suggested the emotiva had a better tone and was overall more pleasant - but lost some resolution and clarity relative to the THX. It sounded like the same situation I've seen with Stax Amps versus energizers. Are there any reasonably priced speaker amps that don't compromise on resolution and clarity?

I was also looking at the Crown D75A based on posts on this thread, but don't know if it will be the same compromise as above. I'm hoping to spend under $400 if at all possible. Definitely open to used and vintage amps.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #3,287 of 3,903
I finally bought a hifiman 6SE V2 last week, I couldn't resist the $450 sale price - though I definitely didn't need them. :) I've been listening to them through a Monoprice THX 887 amp and am really enjoying them. I've read a lot of posts on here saying the 887 can't properly drive them, so I've been thinking about getting a speaker amp to try.

I read a comparative review of the THX 887 and an Emotiva BasX A100 - and it suggested the emotiva had a better tone and was overall more pleasant - but lost some resolution and clarity relative to the THX. It sounded like the same situation I've seen with Stax Amps versus energizers. Are there any reasonably priced speaker amps that don't compromise on resolution and clarity?

I was also looking at the Crown D75A based on posts on this thread, but don't know if it will be the same compromise as above. I'm hoping to spend under $400 if at all possible. Definitely open to used and vintage amps.
Vintage receiver off the speaker taps if you can find a decent one. Otherwise, a pro audio amp like Crown etc.

Oct 6, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #3,288 of 3,903
From HE6se Owner’s Guide
The HE6se necessitates being used by a narrow range of sources,
demanding a recommended 2 watts per channel or more to allow
it to achieve its fullest musical potential, only the most capable of
headphone amplifiers will do. With its Impedance of 50Ohms and
sensitivity of only 83.5dB. It is also possible to use a speaker
amplifier by using our HE Adapter you can use full sized power
amps and then use the adapters Balanced XLR output. Power,
control and finesse all sewn up in to sumptuous headphone with
stunning audio quality.

Oct 6, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #3,289 of 3,903

The sale price I see on Adorama is $550. Not quite as good, but still tempting yes. I'm curious about these headphones.

I also use the Monolith 887 and see absolutely no way it couldn't drive them. The thing has a TON of power.

I don't need another new pair of headphones. Just picked up the Meze 109 Pro...but I still do want to get back into planar.

If the bass doesn't slam though, I wouldn't be interested. I didn't get a chance to demo these anywhere yet either. Guess there will always be a sale later.

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #3,290 of 3,903
The sale price I see on Adorama is $550. Not quite as good, but still tempting yes. I'm curious about these headphones.

I also use the Monolith 887 and see absolutely no way it couldn't drive them. The thing has a TON of power.

I don't need another new pair of headphones. Just picked up the Meze 109 Pro...but I still do want to get back into planar.

If the bass doesn't slam though, I wouldn't be interested. I didn't get a chance to demo these anywhere yet either. Guess there will always be a sale later.

How is 109 pro ? What are your other planars ?

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #3,291 of 3,903
How is 109 pro ? What are your other planars ?
The 109 Pro is pretty awesome. I chose it over the Focal Clear MG and the Audeze MM-500. However, I only chose it over the Clear MG because I have other Focal headphones and when I demoed all three of these headphones at CanJam back to back basically, I felt like the Clear MG would be too similar to others I had. I wanted variety.

I would say that there are things about the Clear MG that are better than the 109 Pro and things about the 109 Pro that are better than the Clear MG. They are evenly matched headphones and it'll come down to personal preference.

The Audeze MM-500 are probably more accurate and detailed. Well definitely more neutral, that's for sure. However, the 109 Pro are pretty close in terms of audio quality and again it comes down to more of personal preference. For any shortcoming the 109 Pro may have against the technicalities of the Audeze MM-500 (or even the Clear MG), it's going to make up for in enjoyment AND comfort.

This truly will come down to preference. I know the Clear MG isn't planar and you're asking about planars. My only planar is really just the Hifiman HE-400i (aside from the 7hz Dioko planar IEMs, the Crinacle collaboration). I loved the HE-400i years ago, but it just lacked bass. It kinda turned me off to planars to be honest.

Trying the Audeze LCD3 and the DCA Stealth/Expanse and some other Audeze headphones started to peak my interest in planar again. I managed to find the link for Adorama's $449 for the HE-6se. I know the headband is terrible and I'd have to replace that. Which I'm ok with. However, I haven't demoed these in person...given the price, I'd take the gamble, though I did just get a new pair recently. So spending more right now just feels silly...But it is a seemingly good price.

I'm just not sure if the sound signature of the HE-6se would be what I'm after or not.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #3,292 of 3,903
The 109 Pro is pretty awesome. I chose it over the Focal Clear MG and the Audeze MM-500. However, I only chose it over the Clear MG because I have other Focal headphones and when I demoed all three of these headphones at CanJam back to back basically, I felt like the Clear MG would be too similar to others I had. I wanted variety.

I would say that there are things about the Clear MG that are better than the 109 Pro and things about the 109 Pro that are better than the Clear MG. They are evenly matched headphones and it'll come down to personal preference.

The Audeze MM-500 are probably more accurate and detailed. Well definitely more neutral, that's for sure. However, the 109 Pro are pretty close in terms of audio quality and again it comes down to more of personal preference. For any shortcoming the 109 Pro may have against the technicalities of the Audeze MM-500 (or even the Clear MG), it's going to make up for in enjoyment AND comfort.

This truly will come down to preference. I know the Clear MG isn't planar and you're asking about planars. My only planar is really just the Hifiman HE-400i (aside from the 7hz Dioko planar IEMs, the Crinacle collaboration). I loved the HE-400i years ago, but it just lacked bass. It kinda turned me off to planars to be honest.

Trying the Audeze LCD3 and the DCA Stealth/Expanse and some other Audeze headphones started to peak my interest in planar again. I managed to find the link for Adorama's $449 for the HE-6se. I know the headband is terrible and I'd have to replace that. Which I'm ok with. However, I haven't demoed these in person...given the price, I'd take the gamble, though I did just get a new pair recently. So spending more right now just feels silly...But it is a seemingly good price.

I'm just not sure if the sound signature of the HE-6se would be what I'm after or not.
HE6se has a dip in the midrange that can be a bit annoying : I solved this with Dekoni Elite velour pads, after that HE6se becomes a very balanced and musical headphone, very lifelike with a great sense of rythm.

Oct 7, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #3,293 of 3,903

US$449: https://www.adorama.com/hmhe6sev2.html?emailprice=t

2022 and people still don't know about the emailprice link hehe :)

On a different matter, I've compared DCA Ether Angled Earpads to Stock Earpads and here are my findings (both with open grills):

1:34 of "Tornado of Souls" from Megadeth.
There's a cymbal, on the left side, at the level of my eyes/forehead.
With the stock pads, this cymbal isn't so clear and it blends into the vocal, with a "in your head" sensation.
With the DCA pads, the cymbal is more clear and its position is more distinct from the vocal (I think layering is improved?), to the left side, with greater stage/separation.

2:08 - 2:10 of the same song.
This sequence of drums have more texture with the DCA pads, with a physical and tactile presence of bass coming and going.
With the stock pads, there's just a hit and it's gone. It even feels dry, in comparison.

So: DCA Ether Angled Earpads improve the frequency response, with greater clarity, stage and separation and texture.
Highly recommended by me.
Thanks @bagwell359 and others on this thread for the recommendation.
Now I'm happier with my HE6seV2.
Next I wanna do the bass mod with double sided tape to increase sub-to-mid bass.

Attachments

• IMG_20221004_202645.jpg
    IMG_20221004_202645.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #3,294 of 3,903

On a different matter, I've compared DCA Ether Angled Earpads to Stock Earpads and here are my findings (both with open grills):

With the stock pads, this cymbal isn't so clear and it blends into the vocal, with a "in your head" sensation.
With the DCA pads, the cymbal is more clear and its position is more distinct from the vocal (I think layering is improved?), to the left side, with greater stage/separation.

This sequence of drums have more texture with the DCA pads, with a physical and tactile presence of bass coming and going.
With the stock pads, there's just a hit and it's gone. It even feels dry, in comparison.

So: DCA Ether Angled Earpads improve the frequency response, with greater clarity, stage and separation and texture.
Next I wanna do the bass mod with double sided tape to increase sub-to-mid bass.
Thanks! I didn't realize how to get there but did find the link and also got the Focal Elegia from Adorama with a discount like that, but never knew it was the querystring in the url haha. Thanks, now I'll know for the future. Saved me a bunch of time.

Great price. Does everyone think it's worth it? I'd love to try them really. I just am curious what the bass sounds like.

You mention a bass mod. Are these lacking bass (quantity/impact/dynamic)?

I feel like bass is absent with the Hifiman he-400i if that's anything to compare by.

Oct 7, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #3,295 of 3,903
Thanks! I didn't realize how to get there but did find the link and also got the Focal Elegia from Adorama with a discount like that, but never knew it was the querystring in the url haha. Thanks, now I'll know for the future. Saved me a bunch of time.

Great price. Does everyone think it's worth it? I'd love to try them really. I just am curious what the bass sounds like.

You mention a bass mod. Are these lacking bass (quantity/impact/dynamic)?

I feel like bass is absent with the Hifiman he-400i if that's anything to compare by.
I don't find them very bassy, but they Really do take to bass EQ/bass boost.
I just set mine up for listening as I haven't played with them in weeks. I have been distracted by shiny new toys. :smile:
My chain is BF2 to iFi Pro iCAN and then balanced out to HE6se V2's. Also I crank up the bass boost and 3D sound effects. I will likely be on these every day for a week. I find them good for any genre. :L3000:

My secret to happiness with these 'phones is tweaking the sound. My Liquid Platinum had Tons of power at 50 Ohms, but it didn't sound special. I used my Schiit Loki to tweak the sound and it improved.

Power wise, I would guess that my iFi puts out four + watts at 50 Ohms, but I am not using hardly any of that. My amp is on mid-gain and rarely goes past 12:00.

20221007_105505.jpg

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #3,296 of 3,903
I don't find them very bassy, but they Really do take to bass EQ/bass boost.
I just set mine up for listening as I haven't played with them in weeks. I have been distracted by shiny new toys. :smile:
My chain is BF2 to iFi Pro iCAN and then balanced out to HE6se V2's. Also I crank up the bass boost and 3D sound effects. I will likely be on these every day for a week. I find them good for any genre. :L3000:

My secret to happiness with these 'phones is tweaking the sound. My Liquid Platinum had Tons of power at 50 Ohms, but it didn't sound special. I used my Schiit Loki to tweak the sound and it improved.

Power wise, I would guess that my iFi puts out four + watts at 50 Ohms, but I am not using hardly any of that. My amp is on mid-gain and rarely goes past 12:00.

20221007_105505.jpg
Cool, thanks! I'm not needing bass head level of bass or anything. I just felt that the HE-400i were lacking that oomph or thump.

The Audeze MM-500 were just fine with bass. As we're the Clear MG. The DCA Stealth and Expanse both were fine enough for me too with regard to bass.

I have a hard time describing it I guess. It's not just detail, it's depth and punch. It doesn't need to be a gut punch, but if you aren't getting the feeling that you want to dance to dance music, then it's not enough bass.

Oct 7, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,297 of 3,903

Do Ether pads have larger ear openings than stock, any "crinkle" so far when pressing on phones or putting them on?

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #3,298 of 3,903
Do Ether pads have larger ear openings than stock, any "crinkle" so far when pressing on phones or putting them on?

no. it crinkles if you push too hard. i am wearing it right now.

Oct 7, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #3,299 of 3,903

Yeah. I got what you said. Same setup (powered by rega brio-r). I personally feel he6se is good for large sound stage music (orchestral, opera, etc). Not lacking bass but still less bassy/slam than LCD3 etc so it might feel a bit analytical on the genres like metal. Still it is very nice for pop / rock / jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back