Hifiman HE6-SE
Sep 6, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #3,271 of 3,903
There's no denying the Audeze "house sound" has an egregious 4kHz dip that's controversial to say the least.

Really? I deny it. But I agree your comment is controversial. So maybe I misunderstood you :wink:

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #3,272 of 3,903
Really? I deny it. But I agree your comment is controversial. So maybe I misunderstood you :wink:
It's either a 4kHz dip, or a 1.5kHz bass shelf and a 8kHz treble shelf! 🤣🤣

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #3,273 of 3,903
I guess my head shape is a bit weird. Seriously I can't use any non-suspension band headphone. Even ones which have large consensus about being the most comfortable headphone ever (like the HD800).
I understand that for sure. Had that issue for years. Took me years to get used to non suspended headbands.

Sep 6, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #3,274 of 3,903
---snip---

And on Audeze, LCD-X 2021 sounds perfect to my ears without any equalizer.
I just put Audeze LCD-X 2021 and LCD-XC on my ears. Both did sound good without equalization and I enjoyed listening to them. However, when I engaged the the equalizer the result was much more articulate and enjoyable. I did notice that I could not turn up the volume as much to rock out on either one equalized approximately to to the harman curve. At normal listening level I would much rather equalize if the option is available.

Sep 7, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #3,275 of 3,903
I just put Audeze LCD-X 2021 and LCD-XC on my ears. Both did sound good without equalization and I enjoyed listening to them. However, when I engaged the the equalizer the result was much more articulate and enjoyable. I did notice that I could not turn up the volume as much to rock out on either one equalized approximately to to the harman curve. At normal listening level I would much rather equalize if the option is available.
Was the XC the 2021 as well?

I've owned no less than *three* pairs of those things and found the midrange honk unbearable, mixed with an intense 8-10kHz. This was before I got a Lokius, but I was wondering if that was addressed at all.

Sep 8, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #3,276 of 3,903
Was the XC the 2021 as well?

I've owned no less than *three* pairs of those things and found the midrange honk unbearable, mixed with an intense 8-10kHz. This was before I got a Lokius, but I was wondering if that was addressed at all.
Yes, I am not familiar with the sound of pre 2021 Audeze headphones. My 2021 Audeze LCD-XC sounds good for a closed headphone. However, if my listening situation does not require a closed headphone, I am definitely going to grab something else open over using these LCD-XC.

Sep 15, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #3,277 of 3,903
1663288195771.png

Will be posting thoughts here some time this weekend.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #3,278 of 3,903
Just want to share my latest mod: a crossover between ZMF and HE6se

ZMF headband for comfort, ZMF universal perforated pads for neutral tuning and comfort, and of course HE6-se driver that drives the music out of the can :)
IMG_3611.jpeg

Sep 25, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #3,279 of 3,903

ZMF headband for comfort, ZMF universal perforated pads for neutral tuning and comfort, and of course HE6-se driver that drives the music out of the can :)
Super! Did the yokes require any modifications?

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #3,280 of 3,903
Super! Did the yokes require any modifications?

Yeah, that's the achilles heel of this mod :frowning2:

No modification, but.... the black plastic cylinder could not be inserted into the hole of the yoke so it just sits on it. The only worry is that the screw might not be tighten enough (or too tight and the plastic cylinder start to wear).

I still like the LCD carbon headband better but in that mod it is better to cut the angled tip from the yoke (to prevent the tip scratches the driver). I sold the headband a while ago so I can only compare in my dream now :)

Sep 25, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #3,282 of 3,903

Another note is that I compared ZMF universal perforated and DCA angled pad on my another headphone and feel the ZMF is much brighter, flat and sometimes unbearable. So I hesitated to put the ZMF pad on. However it is not as expected (in a good way). DCA angled pad makes the soundstage smaller and a bit darker with better noise isolation. ZMF is still brighter, though.

I think a difference in closed back not necessarily translates to an open back, where sound is supposed to leak. But I could be wrong.

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #3,283 of 3,903

ZMF headband for comfort, ZMF universal perforated pads for neutral tuning and comfort, and of course HE6-se driver that drives the music out of the can :)IMG_3611.jpeg
These pads look massive, what is the diameter of ear opening, is it round or oval?

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #3,284 of 3,903
These pads look massive, what is the diameter of ear opening, is it round or oval?

Internal space is oval. I found these are more comfortable than the dekoni he pads

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #3,285 of 3,903
This discussion is making me wonder if the set HE6se V2 that Crin measured has a stuck driver because the bass is significantly reduced on the one channel.
HE6se-V2-S1.jpg
That is definately a stuck driver. I was measuring my HE6se V2 and diaphgram got stuck to the magnet. Same channel, maybe a minute between the measurements. That midrange hump can't be a coincidence. Also I visually checked that the driver is indeed stuck now.
HE6SE V2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back