HiFiMan HE4XX
Aug 11, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #1,066 of 1,381
Out of your HP collection, which one do you prefer for FPS gaming? And with which AMP?
I would say the Sennheiser HD-660s or the HD-58X Jubilees being a close second .

I was replaying an older version of Halo and got startled by the realistic sounds that the 660s was able to provide .

Aug 11, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #1,067 of 1,381
I would say the Sennheiser HD-660s or the HD-58X Jubilees being a close second .

I was replaying an older version of Halo and got startled by the realistic sounds that the 660s was able to provide .

Thank you. Have you ever played competitive FPS with your HE-4XX? If you provide feedback from a soundstage and imaging perspective that would be great.

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #1,068 of 1,381
So like others in this thread I really like the HD-4XX but have struggled to find the next step up in planar headphones.

Everyone seems to like the Monolith 1060 but I did not.
and I really liked the HE500s but I had a chance to buy a set with a bad driver in one ear and Hifiman has discontinued making those driver's so if i buy a used pair for $350 to $400 and a driver fails I'm **** out of luck .

So I will keep my HE-4XX but an upgrade path is unclear any suggestions?

No to the monolith 1060. The HE-500 is a gem, they are also tough, just make sure you can return them if not correct. HEX v2 used about $675-750, very nice. That MD XX is supposed to be nice but haven't heard it. No to other HFM under $1k (Ananda too bright as is 560, HE5se, Sundara, no....). Not a fan of the LCD2 but they are starting to go for mid $500's now, demo them as there is a lot of variation. The only closed I like is MrSpeakers Ether 1.1 Closed used - about $850.

Next stop a lot more $. If you have a tubed amp consider the HD-600 - makes great sound for low bucks.

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #1,069 of 1,381
Out of your HP collection, which one do you prefer for FPS gaming? And with which AMP?
While not directed at me my favorite headphone for gaming is the HD700, great soundstage and positional audio, fairly easy to drive (used a Asus STX IIRC). and one of the most comfortable headphones that I've owned

Aug 28, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #1,070 of 1,381
Hi everyone! I posted a thread in the diy section, but should ask here: Has anyone had to return these? Why? I just picked up a defective pair on ebay. The seller gave no description of the defect. The shell alone is worth the 50 bux I paid, but of course I'd like to repair if possible.

Aside from wiring, are there any common defects that can't be fixed? Are there easy fixes for any common defects?

I'm sorry if it's already here somewhere, I just spent all my forum time choosing Monoprice planars(I chose the m565), and must catch up on work.

Aug 28, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #1,071 of 1,381
Hi everyone! I posted a thread in the diy section, but should ask here: Has anyone had to return these? Why? I just picked up a defective pair on ebay. The seller gave no description of the defect. The shell alone is worth the 50 bux I paid, but of course I'd like to repair if possible.

Aside from wiring, are there any common defects that can't be fixed? Are there easy fixes for any common defects?

I'm sorry if it's already here somewhere, I just spent all my forum time choosing Monoprice planars(I chose the m565), and must catch up on work.
Hi there,

We just PMed you please kindly check. :)

April

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 28, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #1,072 of 1,381
You guys are awesome to offer help so quickly. Hifiman has a stellar reputation, I'm beginning to see why. You proactively reached out to address a second-hand product. That's saying something, especially in today's market. When I can afford it, I will likely add more Hifiman to my rack (especially if they stop using those square headbands :jecklinsmile::L3000:).

I confirmed that the seller is a warehouse liquidator with no info or paperwork for these. I'll just have to wait til next Friday to see what I can do. Regardless, I'm excited. If nothing else, this solid and attractive shell can make for some great projects.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #1,073 of 1,381
So, just for anyone else wondering: I went back and saw that the worst issue could be a jammed driver, which causes distortion. There were also a few symmetry issues with some cups and yokes. It's quite possible this has any of those issues. Hifiman has been so good about replacements, those factory mistakes must be hiding somewhere.

My open-box m565 arrived a day ago, with a bright new "inspected-approved" sticker sealing the box shut. Unfortunately, the 'inspector' forgot that both cups must function...:triportsad: I might get some via amazon, but no more Monoprice open-box. It's a shame, I wanted some smaller, easily driven planars for on-the-go.

If I can't fix this he4xx, I'll probably buy a new one. It's big and power hungry, but the company knows how to treat customers. That goes further than anything.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,074 of 1,381
Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #1,076 of 1,381
Hello after I have made my presentation, I would like you to confirm something. Earlier in this post you recommended as a 2.5mm Jack balanced cable, these two cables

https://mezeaudio.com/products/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable

https:www.amazon.comNewFantasia-Balanced-Beyerdynamic-Generation-headphonedpB075BZ585B

And my question is, if anyone has tried them with these headphones, since I would like to know whether or not they are compatible, thank you very much in advance

I was asking this a while ago and the answer is, yes, the Meze 2.5 balanced will work with the HE-4XX. Note that I'm talking about an HE-4XX that has the latest dual 3.5mm connections at the cups. Here's the page:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-he4xx.856943/page-69

Post #1025 of 1075

The main question I had was would the dual 3.5mm TS cup connections work with the HE-4XX and the answer is yes.

I actually ordered another cable from a seller on ebay that isn't designed specifically for the HE-4XX but it works perfectly:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/16-cores-OCC-Cable-for-Final-Audio-vi-T1P-Denon-AH-D600-D7100-Velodyne-vTrue/223386007072?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=522162829646&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This is a beautiful cable that sounds great. Just be aware that it's 4 feet (1.2M) in length. I got a regular 3.5mm termination but the seller has 2.5mm TRRS balanced too.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,077 of 1,381
Hello after I have made my presentation, I would like you to confirm something. Earlier in this post you recommended as a 2.5mm Jack balanced cable, these two cables

https://mezeaudio.com/products/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable

https:www.amazon.comNewFantasia-Balanced-Beyerdynamic-Generation-headphonedpB075BZ585B

And my question is, if anyone has tried them with these headphones, since I would like to know whether or not they are compatible, thank you very much in advance

Should work fine, with the current 3.5mm jack version phones (the first run HE4XX had 2.5mm connectors I believe). I can confirm first hand that the former cable works. But I don’t have any first hand experience with the second specific cable.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,079 of 1,381
Periapt will make custom cables for either 2.5mm or 3.5mm with the balanced connector of your choice .
And for a really fair price

Sep 2, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #1,080 of 1,381
Anybody tried them on LG V30 ? Can the V30 drive these ?

The *BIG* difference between these cans and the rest of the Hifiman line when you're considering the V30 is the impedance is higher on these @ 42 ohms (vs 20-25) so it very frequently will trigger the coveted high impedance mode of that phone (about 75% of the time). For that phones to run planars you *have* to get it in that mode--no ifs ands or buts about it.

To get there you can use trick methods, clumsy adapters or root your phone to maybe force it...but these do it naturally almost every time. As for an upgraded cable people are asking about, no surprise but Hifimans own silver cable that comes with the HEX v2 sounds phenomenal with the 4xxx The stock "brightness" is completely taken away & this sound is noticeably expanded and beautifully lush. As a bonus the high impedance mode now triggers almost every time with this cable (90%). Yes the cable may look like something you'd find in a hospital hospital surgery ward and new is as much as the cost of the headphones...but trust me you're getting a lot more than $350 in sound with it. Now if they could just get a little more padding for that headband... and fix those QC issues.

I'm sure hifiman has a 30-day return policy so give it a shot and you'll see what I mean. Make sure you have the original 2.5" headphone connections prior to ordering this.
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/crystalline-silver-trs-cable-3-5mm-plug-for-edition-x.html
The LG phones are easy to trick with a short extension and a high impedance adapter. I was worried about these on-the-go, but found it's a super-easy trick.

The LG only measures resistance when it detects a physical plug-in. Plug the adapter into the extension, then the extension into the phone. It will set itself to 'pro' power. Then leave the extension in the LG, pull the adapter from the extension, insert your headphones plug into the extension. Since you left the extension in the LG, it remains in high power. I do this to use my power hungry Peerless 32 ohm drivers with the LG, it should be the same with the he4xx.

If you solder, you can even make your own resistance tool with a spare plug and resistor. This allows me to set my G8 to the highest power mode. I'm unsure of the v30, but the g8 has three; I forget where it goes from 'consumer' to 'pro', but anything over 700 ohms kicks it into preamp levels. A 1kohm resistor does the trick. My 250 ohm dt990 is also power hungry, and I have to do this to get their full potential out of the g8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back