HiFiMan HE4XX
Jul 19, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #1,051 of 1,381
I have the HE400i with 2.5mm into the cups and hoping the cable is the same as the HE4XX.
I need suggestions on a balanced cable for my HE400i, there are a couple on flebay but I'm not sure.
Anyone gone balanced?
Any and all input appreciated.

Current HE4XX has 3.5mm connectors. I use the balanced cable for my Meze 99 Classics for them - works great. Mostly because the balanced out on the DX220 provides a good bit more power and oomph.

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,053 of 1,381
I've read some reviews on the ones sold on Amazon and they say they are stiff, is the Periapt cable stiff also??

thx

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #1,054 of 1,381
Custom Cans (UK) fair price & ex quality, Black & Silver Dragon (crazy price, very good), Cardas - pretty much all of them - hand made or by pros, same for Mogami.

Jul 27, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #1,056 of 1,381
I have been off this thread for quite a while as these were on my "sell soon" pile.

Today I was trying out my new amp in balanced mode (Liquid Carbon X). My Beyer T5p.2's sounded muffled. Maybe 'cause it was so new? I needed a more open sound.

I looked down at the floor and saw the HE4XX's and thought "What the hell?" Well, it was a very nice surprise! I have never heard these 'phones sound better and this is their fourth amp pairing.

I bought a balanced cable a while ago for my Loxjie P20 and it fits the HE4XX's, Meze 99 Classic's and Beyer T5p.2's.

This amp has given the HE4XX's new life.

More testing tomorrow.

Shane D

Jul 29, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #1,057 of 1,381
I have been off this thread for quite a while as these were on my "sell soon" pile.

Today I was trying out my new amp in balanced mode (Liquid Carbon X). My Beyer T5p.2's sounded muffled. Maybe 'cause it was so new? I needed a more open sound.

I looked down at the floor and saw the HE4XX's and thought "What the hell?" Well, it was a very nice surprise! I have never heard these 'phones sound better and this is their fourth amp pairing.

I bought a balanced cable a while ago for my Loxjie P20 and it fits the HE4XX's, Meze 99 Classic's and Beyer T5p.2's.

This amp has given the HE4XX's new life.

More testing tomorrow.

Shane D
I had been overlooking my 4XXs concentrating on my Sennheiser menagerie but hooked them up to the Little Loxjie and they do sound incredible
And the Depeche mode album Construction time again is particularly great on this setup ,. I am using an
Audiosource EQ to step up the Bass though ......How un Audiophile of me lol

Jul 29, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #1,058 of 1,381
I had been overlooking my 4XXs concentrating on my Sennheiser menagerie but hooked them up to the Little Loxjie and they do sound incredible
And the Depeche mode album Construction time again is particularly great on this setup ,. I am using an
Audiosource EQ to step up the Bass though ......How un Audiophile of me lol

The Loxjie/HE4XX combo didn't work for me. I do get you on the EQ though. I have tried many versions of EQing over the years and none of them got me good clean sound with added bass. Until I discovered the Schiit Loki. This thing is magic. No good in a balanced chain though. I use it with my SE amp and it perfected my Grado's and Beyer's.

Shane D

Jul 29, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,059 of 1,381
The Loxjie/HE4XX combo didn't work for me. I do get you on the EQ though. I have tried many versions of EQing over the years and none of them got me good clean sound with added bass. Until I discovered the Schiit Loki. This thing is magic. No good in a balanced chain though. I use it with my SE amp and it perfected my Grado's and Beyer's.

Shane D
I've got an Audiosource One that I've had since the early 90s and it is sealed so never end up with scratchy sliders and ten channels per side is plenty for my needs .
I might try a balanced EQ at some point .

Jul 29, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #1,060 of 1,381
I've got an Audiosource One that I've had since the early 90s and it is sealed so never end up with scratchy sliders and ten channels per side is plenty for my needs .
I might try a balanced EQ at some point .

Loki is just four and all I need. I tried using EQ's with many bands and always just made a mess. The Loki is just bass, mid bass, mid range and treble. You can't make it any easier.
My big uses are bringing up the bass and bringing out the vocals.

Shane D

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #1,063 of 1,381
So like others in this thread I really like the HD-4XX but have struggled to find the next step up in planar headphones.

Everyone seems to like the Monolith 1060 but I did not.
and I really liked the HE500s but I had a chance to buy a set with a bad driver in one ear and Hifiman has discontinued making those driver's so if i buy a used pair for $350 to $400 and a driver fails I'm crap out of luck .

So I will keep my HE-4XX but an upgrade path is unclear any suggestions?

Aug 11, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,065 of 1,381
So like others in this thread I really like the HD-4XX but have struggled to find the next step up in planar headphones.

Everyone seems to like the Monolith 1060 but I did not.
and I really liked the HE500s but I had a chance to buy a set with a bad driver in one ear and Hifiman has discontinued making those driver's so if i buy a used pair for $350 to $400 and a driver fails I'm **** out of luck .

So I will keep my HE-4XX but an upgrade path is unclear any suggestions?

Out of your HP collection, which one do you prefer for FPS gaming? And with which AMP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back