HiFiMan HE4XX
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #106 of 1,381
I should add that the 4xx need a decent amount of power to come alive. I listen on aune t1mk3 at full volume but go to aune x7s on a dac it balanced and get to adjust volume where I want which is about half on most music.

I noticed this as well. I'm listening to them through a Schiit Lyr and I have the volume just under halfway on a 6W amp. These 32ohm cans require the same amount of power as my 300ohm HD650. They definitely need that power to get the most out of them.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #108 of 1,381
Trying to decide between this or the HD6XX.....

They're two completely different headphones. Not really comparable. I own both the HD650, which is identical sound wise to the HD6XX, and the HE4XX. Sound signatures are different, one is a planar magnetic and the other is a cone dynamic. They basically share no similarities besides the fact that they're both headphones.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #109 of 1,381
They're two completely different headphones. Not really comparable. I own both the HD650, which is identical sound wise to the HD6XX, and the HE4XX. Sound signatures are different, one is a planar magnetic and the other is a cone dynamic. They basically share no similarities besides the fact that they're both headphones.

Yes, but still trying to decide between the two. Leaning towards the 4XX because it's cheaper, but I've always wanted to try a 650.

The HD 650 is one of those thing I've always wanted to buy, but always pass on for some reason. Guess, I'll go with the 4XX since I prefer planar over dynamic and it's cheaper. I'll buy a HD650 one/some/another day.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #110 of 1,381
Yes, but still trying to decide between the two. Leaning towards the 4XX because it's cheaper, but I've always wanted to try a 650.

My opinion on this is always the same. 600/650 is still easily one of the best headphones for the money, HOWEVER, you really need a good amp to bring them alive. Despite all my gear/headphones, I still like to listen to my Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball and 650.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #111 of 1,381

The HD 650 is one of those thing I've always wanted buy always pass on for some reason. Guess, I'll go with the 4XX since I prefer planar over dynamic and it's cheaper. I'll buy a HD650 one/some/another day.

Do you have an amp capable of powering a planar magnetic headphone? They require a lot of power to get the most out of them.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #112 of 1,381
amp wise you need the same power with either one. To me the 6xx has more air and soundstage, vices on 4xx seem closer to you, the bass and sub bass are better on 4xx but 6xx has good bass. If I was listening to classical or small groups and acapella I would definitely go 6xx but if I was going bassy , techno , trance ,,,, I would go 4xx . Either one is a good value for the dollar in this market. 6xx are good out of the box, it seems the 4xx keep improving with break in as is typical of planar.

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #115 of 1,381
Trying to decide between this or the HD6XX.....

Go with the 6xx. It's (650) been around for more than a decade and still holds its own. There is good reason for its popularity. I don't have the HE4xx, have a HE500 (headband modded). If I had to let one go, it would probably be the HE500, even though it's the more technically capable of the two.

Nov 30, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #116 of 1,381
To be fair, this is more of a preference thing (obviously) rather than simply defaulting to the 6XXs/650s due to their well regarded tenure. I very happily sold my 6XXs in favor of 400i's simply because I felt that they were so veiled that the Hifimans brought back all of the clarity. It was hard to enjoy listening to the 6XXs since I wondered the entire time what I was missing in terms of the upper range / perceived details / sparkle. To my ears, the Senns were too safe to be enjoyable. Refined, but safe. Like a Lexus.

Nov 30, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #117 of 1,381
I think I'll be fine with either or. I have an idea of what their sound signature is and I'll be happy with either one.
Eventually, I will buy both, I'm just trying to decide which one to go with first. I'm leaning towards the 4XX because they're more limited and cheaper, while the 6XX will still be available months down the road...... hopefully... and if they're not, then the HD650 will always be around.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #118 of 1,381
I now just heard of the HE4xx drop. I want in, but am concerned that they may be like one of my other headphones (see my list in sig). Can anyone advise what these 4xx's are closest to in my stable? - The only other planar I have is the PM-3. Do the 4xx's roll off in the treble like the PM-3s? - Btw, I just got my HD6xx's last week. I love them so much. To me, they are like the 600's, but refined and tonally balanced the way I would "correct" the 600's. It's become my current favorite headphone along with my H6's and M40x's. - Time is running out. Please help... :)

Nov 30, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #119 of 1,381
I now just heard of the HE4xx drop. I want in, but am concerned that they may be like one of my other headphones (see my list in sig). Can anyone advise what these 4xx's are closest to in my stable? - The only other planar I have is the PM-3. Do the 4xx's roll off in the treble like the PM-3s? - Btw, I just got my HD6xx's last week. I love them so much. To me, they are like the 600's, but refined and tonally balanced the way I would "correct" the 600's. It's become my current favorite headphone along with my H6's and M40x's. - Time is running out. Please help... :)
I think you would appreciate the different sound sig of the 4xx. they aren't like any in your profile but I haven't done a comparison with the pm3. I don't personally believe they are an upgrade over the 6xx but very different in sound sig.

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #120 of 1,381

The 4XX's are going to be better extended than the PM3's. I always thought those had an extremely boring sound profile.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back