Hifiman HE1000-SE
Nov 4, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #4,681 of 5,189
IMG_6584.jpeg
IMG_6583.jpeg

As you can see the frequency responses are very very similar in both headphones, they look like brothers in this matter. I noticed it in the store and then at home I checked it as you can see.

The Hifiman HE1000se is a more resolving, faster and more open sounding headphone as it belongs to a higher category, but the profile is very similar, with that slight boost in the low-mid frequencies and that drop in the 2Khz region very recognizable and for me pleasing.

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #4,682 of 5,189
IMG_6584.jpegIMG_6583.jpeg
As you can see the frequency responses are very very similar in both headphones, they look like brothers in this matter. I noticed it in the store and then at home I checked it as you can see.

The Hifiman HE1000se is a more resolving, faster and more open sounding headphone as it belongs to a higher category, but the profile is very similar, with that slight boost in the low-mid frequencies and that drop in the 2Khz region very recognizable and for me pleasing.
I fully respect that they sound very similar to you, as you say we all have different ears, heads and brains.

That being said, I don't agree that they measure similar. Here is a comparison from the same source, which is the best way of comparing, as test gear and test methodologies can change from one reviewer to another, giver non comparable results.
1000004501.png

I'm mainly reacting here as I found the HE1000 Stealth and the 109 pro to be quite different when I compared them, and I'm just surprised if the HE1000SE should sound so significantly different from the Stealth :)

Nov 4, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #4,684 of 5,189
The Caldera is an amazing headphone and a great compliment to the SE. This comparison is using stock lambskin pads.

Caldera slams harder. Has more quantity and detail in bass compared to SE. Sound is textured and has weight to it. Treble is detailed but not emphasized. Better soundstage depth than the SE. Tonality is slightly darker than neutral.

SE is more detailed in the treble. Larger soundstage width and height. Greater instrument separation. Sound is airy and instruments/vocals can be perceived as floating in the soundstage. Instruments on the Caldera sound more grounded and don't have that floating/materializing from thin air quality. Bass sounds like it's separated from the mids and treble. The Caldera's bass and mids are blended together. Tonality is brighter than neutral.
Interesting I personally never heard the he1000se but what you're describing voices floating in soundstage, revealing alot and good for dreamy stuff like trance I recognize alot of these characteristics in my new Hifiman Arya Organic which I didn't really noticed in the arya stealth in that degree. Could it be possible they closed more the gap between the arya stealth and he1000se with the arya organic? Do you happen to have compared the two?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #4,685 of 5,189
Interesting I personally never heard the he1000se but what you're describing voices floating in soundstage, revealing alot and good for dreamy stuff like trance I recognize alot of these characteristics in my new Hifiman Arya Organic which I didn't really noticed in the arya stealth in that degree. Could it be possible they closed more the gap between the arya stealth and he1000se with the arya organic? Do you happen to have compared the two?
Unfortunately I have not heard the Arya Organic

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #4,686 of 5,189
I guess that being a planar vs dynamic driver would also make differences btw he1000se and 109 pro. Pros and cons for each type of driver though

Nov 4, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #4,687 of 5,189
I guess that being a planar vs dynamic driver would also make differences btw he1000se and 109 pro. Pros and cons for each type of driver though
I have not heard those 2 but the difference between my planar and my dynamic drivers is definitely the soundstage and bass extension. But then you could argue that the HD800 and other dynamic driver do offer an abnormality in the soundstage. My nanos feel a lot more natural than both my HD650 and NDH30 … so there’s also that.

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #4,688 of 5,189
Hi, just tested my new Chinese AliExpress silver headphones cable. It’s a definite improvement over the stock cable. And nicer, too. Incredible, I hear more details and air. Not dry or harsh but not warm, too. Seller is EachDIY. I love it.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #4,689 of 5,189
This discussion of soundstage has prompted me to finally report on my finally having heard the HE1000se at the Toronto Audiofest on October 21.

20231021_154609 - Sanitized.jpg

This was at the AudioWise booth on the second floor which was demonstrating their RF•STOP technology for isolating the amp and DAC electronics from RF interference and back EMF. In this case, their fancy gear was set up around the Chord Mojo 2. The representative at least said that this gear is not meant to change the sound at all, its merely being meant to prevent extraneous noise from interfering with the DAC's doing its job, whatever literature might exist on the conditions for such effects to be audible. Anyways, I am skeptical as to whether it makes an audible difference on top of properly designed gear that already filters RF. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rasonic-noise-affect-the-sound-quality.11558/ amusingly mentions Chord themselves having supposedly claimed that RF noise actually makes their gear sound both "warm and bright".

20231021_154715.jpg

They were using these exquisitely comfortable aftermarket pads they acquired a few months prior on Amazon, likely https://www.amazon.com/Voarmaks-Compatible-Headphone-Replacement-Sheepskin/dp/B0B96NFG7H?th=1:

20231021_154753.jpg

20231021_154841.jpg

You get the exquisite feel of the Meze Elite hybrid pads (which I can find at times to be too flexible when you move your head) combined with the exquisite fit and security of the HiFiMan Serenity pads. I haven't seen any measurements of these pads' effects on the frequency response. Going off of https://dekoniaudio.com/product/dekoni-audio-elite-sheepskin-replacement-ear-pads-for-hifiman-arya/, it probably does increase the bass extension, though maybe deepening the 1 kHz to 3 kHz dip, which for some might contribute to the sense of soundstage; to me, that just dulls vocals and some instrument timbres.

The HE1000se "dialysis cable" was an interesting thing to encounter in person, my realizing that it has narrow ridges along its length. Otherwise, I especially per https://www.head-fi.org/threads/in-...c-headphones-frs-are-indeed-identical.970202/ certainly don't believe in cable sound.

The representative fortunately did have some classical music available on their foobar2000 library (I have personally used foobar2000 with VB-Cable to facilitate bs2b crossfeed, but am now using Voicemeeter to feed audio into Reaper and the head-tracked SPARTA AmbiRoomSim, AmbiBIN, and Binauraliser NF plugins using my Earfish-measured HRTF and measurement-based EQ (post #61) to achieve convincing anechoic stereo imaging). On first impression, it simply sounded good, "familiar" in neutrality with respect to the fine-tuned Meze Elite hybrid pads PEQ I had arrived upon in https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...eadphone-official-thread.959445/post-17743502 (post #5,151). I didn't hear anything special in regard to soundstaging or imaging.

As for "details", I am an adamant believer that any sense of "more details" can be explained from one headphone simply bringing said details forward within that band within the frequency response where the other headphones' frequency response for the individual's ears were comparatively attenuating said details. For me, "resolution" is related to frequency response smoothness insofar as no frequencies are unnaturally attenuated so as to be insufficiently heard, else peaked so as to mask the hearing of the adjacent frequency content. In practice, I have found that maximum clarity can be achieved at least by EQing down peaks detected in sine sweeps and pink noise. Then for "transparency", other than ensuring neutrality across the entire chain (which is measurably quite easy to achieve), that EQ post (post #61) showed what it takes to match headphones to the anechoic in-ear response of an equilateral stereo triangle. This finally gives transparency into what a recording "actually" sounds like or how the mixer's monitoring system differs from true neutral, or how their ear physiology and preferences differ from yours.

Now, on requesting some Mahler, he played "Das Lied von der Erde" I believe as recorded by Pierre Boulez with the Wiener Philharmoniker with Michael Schade as the tenor. It was here that I was stricken with the surprise of my first the time heard a disembodied voice singing right from the middle of the hollow of my head. It was truly bizarre. For headphones, when not using crossfeed, I've with nigh all that I've encountered including high-end headphones only really heard sounds as coming from the drivers then wrapping around the front of my face with the center image being around an inch in front of the forehead depending on how the track was mixed, whereby though tracks like Yosi Horikawa's "Letter" could get things sounding beyond the drivers and sometimes behind my head and ears, I have generally found the span of the opening pencil's trajectory to be very similar, "soundstage" to me only being a subjective effect of the earpads' size and the space around your ears, hence the extent to which the earpads do or do not intersect or interfere with the perceived image span, and finally how tonality may create the illusion of greater distance, an illusion I haven't really been very susceptible to, especially with the HD 800 S which I didn't find special. Anyways, I've checked at home, whereby both my Meze Elite and Arya Stealth rather have the vocals in front of me. Actually, checking right now on the Meze Elite, even with EQ, say, around 7 minutes into the first part of "Das Lied von der Erde" (I'm listening through https://app.idagio.com/recordings/18122663), there is indeed something weird with the mix that has Michael Schade's voice coming from the middle rear left inside my head. Through speakers and my binaural head-tracked simulation, his voice is centered and ahead, maybe a tad closer than the midpoint between the (virtual) speakers. For the non-crossfeed case, the rest of the centered sources sound reasonably ahead. Sometimes his voice can sound a bit ahead. The Arya Stealth with my EQ might also be more inclined to having me hear his voice a tad more forward.

Amusingly, the representative took my reporting of this "in-the-head" effect as a compliment despite my clarifying how for me, hearing that is technically a "bad "thing", though as I've found now, this weird effect is found only at specific parts of the recording and can indeed be heard on other headphones.

Anyways, nothing particularly impressive on my end at least with these pads, tracks, and the Chord Mojo 2's power delivery. For binaural head-tracking, the main advantage of my Meze Elite over the Arya Stealth other than more convenient mounting of the head-tracking IMU is its excellent distortion performance, better driver matching, and easier to EQ nulls. The HE1000se would have to have comparable distortion performance and driver matching plus a cleaner CSD to be a worthwhile complimentary headphone from the comfort perspective. My ideal is likewise a headphone that somehow has no treble nulls that could interfere with HRTF simulation where the nulls are supposed to move around with direction of the sound source, but it seems like the nulls I've measured from headphones match the nulls from my in-ear free-field response for sounds of 90-degree incidence.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #4,690 of 5,189
Nov 11, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #4,691 of 5,189
Now, we should being some Arya Organic comparison on the table. C'mon, bring it on!

Nov 13, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #4,695 of 5,189
Okay so I received my HE1000SE today and I compared it with my Arya Organic. And i'm really excited i'm gona be honest I think it's a really long time ago I have been this excited when it came to soundquality.

I'm in no way a professional reviewer so my appologies if I would describe some things unclear and i'll only give my impressions about the Sound.
Just wanted to add also I was very impressed with the Arya Organic, and I think it was a small step up compared to the Arya stealth and a significant step up to the Edition XS.

So here we go HE1000SE vs Arya organic:

Clarity of the HE1000SE is superior in a big leap, no competition here compared to the Organic: notes, strings, voices everything sound. Hard to give a percentage but I would give it a solid 15-20% more transparancy.
Notes have more weight, guitars have more body, sound fuller, voices sounding fuller, more textured, more layering for the HE1000SE compared to the Organic.

Treble: HE1000SE sounding smoother while remaining more detailed, Organic might give the impressions retreiving more micro details but in a Artificial way if that makes sense. I compared here several times between the two, HE1000SE is giving same amount of details in treble. I would give a Tie here in this compartiment

Mids: Organic is very well refined in this area, but HE1000SE is even even more refined here, it wins in it's transparency and fuller notes imo it's sounding lusher. Organic sounds nice and warm, HE1000SE sounds sweet and full both are very good here. But i'm giving the HE1000SE a win for my personal taste.

Bass: I was not expecting this but the HE1000SE is rocking hard, no competition here, HE1000SE takes the lead with deeper and fuller bass, more controlled and more in quantity at the same time. I can push my EQ much further without bleeding in other frequencies on the HE1000SE than I can do on the Organic. Maybe it beats even my Audeze in this area? i'm confused

Soundstage Depth: I might sound already like a fanboy, sorry about that but again no competition here in soundstage depth the HE1000SE wins in holography, every note is floating around you while the Organic does the same but in a smaller scale and with bit less "floating", more intimate, the Organic sounds like a medium sized studio the HE1000SE sounds like a hall concert.

Soundstage width: HE1000SE sounds very open here, wide, much wider than the Organic and even wider than the Edition XS (Which was until now the widest soundstage headphone I had).

I think for me it's clear which one wins, i'll send the Organic back and keep the HE1000SE without any hesitation.
I bought the HE1000SE for 1750€ refurbished and I wanted to thank hifiman to send me a decent pair, it looks like new to be honest. Knowing I have 3 year warranty on the HE1000SE it's a no brainer for me.

If you ask my honest opinion: The organic is still a very good headphone, but for 300€ more you have a HE1000SE which is in my opinion more superior and more refined in every way.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back