Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 20, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #13,442 of 14,704
Just received my HE1000 Stealth yesterday and absolutely love them so far. Using them with an Asgard 3.

I tried a pair of the original HE1000s at CanJam NYC a few years back and wanted a pair of egg-shaped HiFiMans since then. I was eyeing the Aryas for a long time but just never bought them. When I noticed the HE1000 V2 & Stealth dropped to $1400 I decided to just go for it. Based on reviews I went with the stealth over the V2 for what I thought would fit my preference better.

I had a pair of LCD-2s that I sold a few years ago because while I really enjoyed the sound, I just couldn't stand the comfort so they sat in their case while I used the 6XX 99% of the time. The metal headband on the LCDs would make contact with the top of my head and really hurt after a short period of time. I contacted Audeze for a replacement headband but they said it's within spec and normal for some people. Decided then that the LCDs just aren't for me. The HE1000s are very, very comfortable. I feel like I could wear them for hours. I always found the HD6XX comfortable, but these are another league.

Only thing I'm curious about is if I'd prefer the Arya Organic over these. From what I gather the HE1000 Stealth is technically better than the Organic, but the Organic may be a bit more "fun" sounding. The better build quality and extra year of warranty with the HE1000 is nice to have over the Arya. I guess that's how this hobby goes, always curious about how something else compares..

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #13,443 of 14,704
Just received my HE1000 Stealth yesterday and absolutely love them so far. Using them with an Asgard 3.

I tried a pair of the original HE1000s at CanJam NYC a few years back and wanted a pair of egg-shaped HiFiMans since then. I was eyeing the Aryas for a long time but just never bought them. When I noticed the HE1000 V2 & Stealth dropped to $1400 I decided to just go for it. Based on reviews I went with the stealth over the V2 for what I thought would fit my preference better.

I had a pair of LCD-2s that I sold a few years ago because while I really enjoyed the sound, I just couldn't stand the comfort so they sat in their case while I used the 6XX 99% of the time. The metal headband on the LCDs would make contact with the top of my head and really hurt after a short period of time. I contacted Audeze for a replacement headband but they said it's within spec and normal for some people. Decided then that the LCDs just aren't for me. The HE1000s are very, very comfortable. I feel like I could wear them for hours. I always found the HD6XX comfortable, but these are another league.

Only thing I'm curious about is if I'd prefer the Arya Organic over these. From what I gather the HE1000 Stealth is technically better than the Organic, but the Organic may be a bit more "fun" sounding. The better build quality and extra year of warranty with the HE1000 is nice to have over the Arya. I guess that's how this hobby goes, always curious about how something else compares..
I briefly tried the Arya organic at a shop recently and they are lovely but hek stealths are a step up in quality of sound.

Sep 21, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #13,444 of 14,704

Give these a couple of weeks of regular listening

Sep 21, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #13,445 of 14,704
Here is another EQ approach with a High Shelf filter at 2650 Hz that makes the sound signature exceptionally warm and bass and subbass deep and nice and also completely eliminates ear fatigue. (For some reason a Peak Filter for bass sounds better and more accurate than a Low Shelf filter, at least with Equalizer APO)
Change gain to 3.4db or 3.7db for 1800 Hz Peak Filter. Vocals usually sound better at 3.4db, and some music may sound better at 3.7db or 3.4db as well (probably due to loudness war/very high compression of the dynamic range). Since frequency response of your unit may be a little bit different, play with Q for 1800 Hz filter as well (between 2.0 and 2.05) to get the most natural sound for string instruments. You can also change frequency between 1800-1860Hz for this filter to get the perfect sound for vocals. For my unit 1800Hz is the sweet spot.
Preamp: -3.75 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 3.4 dB Q 0.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 1800 Hz Gain 3.9 dB Q 2.025
Filter: ON HS Fc 2650 Hz Gain -1.45 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 220 Hz Gain -2.15 dB Q 1.1
Filter: ON PK Fc 600 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 1000 Hz Gain -0.45 dB Q 3

eq.jpg

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #13,446 of 14,704
Just received my HE1000 "V3" Stealth. I really wanted the V2s, I didn't know much about the Stealth, but the V2s were harder to find, and I got a good deal on a new closed box pair of Stealths with receipt and everything.

I have them connected to my O2 Amp and Modi+ DAC. I wondered if these could benefit from a better amp to drive them, but they seem considerably louder than my HD800S, so maybe it's fine.

Sep 22, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #13,447 of 14,704
Just received my HE1000 "V3" Stealth. I really wanted the V2s, I didn't know much about the Stealth, but the V2s were harder to find, and I got a good deal on a new closed box pair of Stealths with receipt and everything.

I have them connected to my O2 Amp and Modi+ DAC. I wondered if these could benefit from a better amp to drive them, but they seem considerably louder than my HD800S, so maybe it's fine.
Congratulations and enjoy.
V3? You do mean the HE1000 Stealth, correct?

Sep 22, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #13,448 of 14,704
V3? You do mean the HE1000 Stealth, correct?
Yes, the HE1000 Stealth. It's the version with stealth magnets as indicated on the box. I have only tried them a little bit, but they seem quite good. It's hard to say much after only a few minutes of listening.
I've wanted these for a while, since they fill a gap in my set. Now I have a pair of dynamics (HD800S), electrostats (SR-009), and finally planars (HE1000). I think their tone complements my other headphones.

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #13,450 of 14,704
I briefly tried the Arya organic at a shop recently and they are lovely but hek stealths are a step up in quality of sound.
I just updated my organic to HEK Stealth (my organic had an imbalance issue upon waking up)

It's only one day, I still have to burn, but I have been able to appreciate that technically it is a little superior to organic, in detail/micro detail, a better tone, speed and recovery, it is very fast and has a very good timbre. Organic is very good and I was happy, I think organic works better with sub-bass mid-bass but I think it's easy to eq heks. HEKS also has more bass punch than Organic no EQ.

I'm quite impressed with HEKS, I'm going to stick with it. I think, as you said, it's a little above Organic, but they're both really good. I also think that the materials and quality are above and justify the investment, the strap, especially made of leather, is much superior, more comfortable and breathable than the synthetic one of the Arya.

I look forward to continuing listening to them and rolling HEKS and seeing how they evolve when they open.

Sep 23, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #13,451 of 14,704
I have the original HEK and still love them. They are my sort of reserve HP now as I also have the 1266TC, but they still get some playing time
What is the difference between the HEK original and the HEK Stealth ? What were hifiman wanting to change ?

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #13,452 of 14,704
I just updated my organic to HEK Stealth (my organic had an imbalance issue upon waking up)

It's only one day, I still have to burn, but I have been able to appreciate that technically it is a little superior to organic, in detail/micro detail, a better tone, speed and recovery, it is very fast and has a very good timbre. Organic is very good and I was happy, I think organic works better with sub-bass mid-bass but I think it's easy to eq heks. HEKS also has more bass punch than Organic no EQ.

I'm quite impressed with HEKS, I'm going to stick with it. I think, as you said, it's a little above Organic, but they're both really good. I also think that the materials and quality are above and justify the investment, the strap, especially made of leather, is much superior, more comfortable and breathable than the synthetic one of the Arya.

I look forward to continuing listening to them and rolling HEKS and seeing how they evolve when they open.
Thanks, this makes me feel better about my decision to buy the HEKS over the Organic.

Now I just need to decide on a 2nd amp. I'm using an Asgard 3, but I want to setup a 2nd listening spot in another room. Debating just getting a Magni/Modi since it won't be used often, but not sure if it'll do the HEKS justice.

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #13,454 of 14,704
Sep 24, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #13,455 of 14,704
Nice 👍
Do you feel they are worth the extra cost, compared to the Arya?
I have the Arya pre-stealth. The V2s sound more natural to me. Slightly less treble energy and slightly more bass (not a ton more though). Sound-staging is not as wide on some tracks, but it always sounds more realistic and natural than the Aryas; it can be very wide on some tracks, though. That coupled with the better build quality makes it worth it to me. That being said, I probably would not have paid $3K for them when they were at that price.

I think I’ll be moving on from the Arya, which are a great headphone. It just doesn’t make sense to me to keep both. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back