Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 14, 2023 at 1:04 AM Post #13,411 of 14,679
I own the HE 1000 stealth and best headphone purchase I ever made! To me they just do everything right. Only the treble can be a little bright but once you break them in it gets better overtime
Thank you for the input, there is no doubt that the HE1000 is amazing, I just want to make sure it's the best choice for me. It's almost 2000USD here, so I need to choose wisely :)
64 Audio U12T. Why? It has a high treble spike, sub bass boost with mid bass, slightly recessed vocals, and it has '3d like' imaging with excellent separation of instruments and layering.
I appreciate your feedback so much, thank you! Since you have both of them, I hope you will answer one more question: When it comes specifically to imaging and sound stage performance, would you say the U12 is better than the HE1000?
From what I have read, IEM's have a hard time keeping up with OE Headphones in this area, so if the U12's are just as good, or better than the HE1000, they might be worth the extra 800USD they cost, to me.

Sep 14, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #13,412 of 14,679
Thank you for the input, there is no doubt that the HE1000 is amazing, I just want to make sure it's the best choice for me. It's almost 2000USD here, so I need to choose wisely :)

I appreciate your feedback so much, thank you! Since you have both of them, I hope you will answer one more question: When it comes specifically to imaging and sound stage performance, would you say the U12 is better than the HE1000?
From what I have read, IEM's have a hard time keeping up with OE Headphones in this area, so if the U12's are just as good, or better than the HE1000, they might be worth the extra 800USD they cost, to me.
The HE1000 Stealth to my ears is slightly better when it comes to imaging precision. Also, don't expect an IEM to even compare to an open back headphone when it comes to soundstage size. But.... the U12T does sound slightly out of your head for an IEM IMO, while the HE1000 Stealth literally sounds holographic to me. (Imaging/separation/layering - 9/10 U12T | 9.5/10 HE1000 Stealth | Detail Retrieval - 8/10 U12T | 9.5/10 HE1000 Stealth)

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #13,413 of 14,679
The HE1000 Stealth to my ears is slightly better when it comes to imaging precision. Also, don't expect an IEM to even compare to an open back headphone when it comes to soundstage size. But.... the U12T does sound slightly out of your head for an IEM IMO, while the HE1000 Stealth literally sounds holographic to me. (Imaging/separation/layering - 9/10 U12T | 9.5/10 HE1000 Stealth | Detail Retrieval - 8/10 U12T | 9.5/10 HE1000 Stealth)
You just saved me a lot of time and money 🙂
If IEM's can't compete with open back headphones in this regard, there is no need for me to test them out. I had hoped that a more expensive IEM might be able to compete, but since that not the case, the choice is a lot easier for me.
I will stick to auditioning the HE1000 against other headphones then.
Once again, thank you so much for your input, I'm really grateful you took the time :)

Sep 14, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #13,414 of 14,679
You just saved me a lot of time and money 🙂
If IEM's can't compete with open back headphones in this regard, there is no need for me to test them out. I had hoped that a more expensive IEM might be able to compete, but since that not the case, the choice is a lot easier for me.
I will stick to auditioning the HE1000 against other headphones then.
Once again, thank you so much for your input, I'm really grateful you took the time :)
In my years, I have never heard any IEM have near the openness, size of stage or airiness of an opened back headphone.

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #13,415 of 14,679
I'm seriously considering the HE1000 Stealth after hearing them a few days ago at a local dealer.
I was shopping for the V2 after reading excellent reviews and I found a pair sold as "HE1000 V2 2022 (Stealth)". Which is probably just the stealth?
Either way I haven't listened to the Stealth specifically but I imagine it is a strictly better version given some reviews of it I read.
The seller mentions selling them due to switching to buying the SE, which some reviewers actually compare unfavourably to the V2 from what I've seen.
I'm wondering if the Stealth would be a good purchase for me if I like the V2 sound?

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #13,416 of 14,679
In my years, I have never heard any IEM have near the openness, size of stage or airiness of an opened back headphone.
And with the IEM's you have tested, that is saying something :astonished: Thanks a lot for your input, highly appreciate it!
I was shopping for the V2 after reading excellent reviews and I found a pair sold as "HE1000 V2 2022 (Stealth)". Which is probably just the stealth?
Either way I haven't listened to the Stealth specifically but I imagine it is a strictly better version given some reviews of it I read.
The seller mentions selling them due to switching to buying the SE, which some reviewers actually compare unfavourably to the V2 from what I've seen.
I'm wondering if the Stealth would be a good purchase for me if I like the V2 sound?
Yes, I have considered the same. From what I have been able to find, the V2 should have a wider soundstage, which is something I would enjoy. But I don't have the option to buy the V2 (I want to use a local reseller), so I'm going with the Stealth.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #13,417 of 14,679
Can someone recommend a warm amp and/or dac that pairs well with the HEK V2? I just got those cans. Compared to the Arya v2 I have, I like the tonal balance of the HEK better. Slightly more bass and slightly less highs. However, I still get some sensitivity to the highs.

The Arya’s soundstage appears to be wider on some tracks, but I think the HEKs stage more realistically.

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #13,418 of 14,679
Yes, I have considered the same. From what I have been able to find, the V2 should have a wider soundstage, which is something I would enjoy. But I don't have the option to buy the V2 (I want to use a local reseller), so I'm going with the Stealth.
Soundstage I am not too bothered by, rather I was worried about the tonality being less accurate compared to the V2. I believe the V2 is incredibly accurate.
Does anyone here who tried both prefer one over the other, between the HE1000V2 and the Stealth?

Sep 14, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #13,419 of 14,679
And with the IEM's you have tested, that is saying something :astonished: Thanks a lot for your input, highly appreciate it!
Thank you...
If you went to my reviews and see what I have posted here, it truly is the tip of the iceberg. I am almost embarrassed, but go to my profile and scroll through... Almost scares me. This hobby is so subjective but almost everyone agrees that open backs are a whole different level.

That said, many folks prefer IEMs over headphones and for those folks there are options, but not to the level of open backs in my opinion.

Sep 15, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #13,420 of 14,679
I posted some comments on my HE1K Stealth a couple of days ago. I was wishing for a little more height, depth and width in the staging. It appears as I log more time with these the staging is developing a bit more air. I noticed it while listening to Santana and the width caught my attention. Of course Santana uses a bit of percussion and width in his sound, but these appear to open up a bit more as time goes on.

Sep 15, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #13,421 of 14,679
The best soundstage in classic rock that i've heard is on the remastered Black Sabbath albums....quite spectacular in the HE1000Stealth .

Sep 16, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #13,423 of 14,679
I posted some comments on my HE1K Stealth a couple of days ago. I was wishing for a little more height, depth and width in the staging. It appears as I log more time with these the staging is developing a bit more air. I noticed it while listening to Santana and the width caught my attention. Of course Santana uses a bit of percussion and width in his sound, but these appear to open up a bit more as time goes on.
Any specific tracks you can recommend?

Sep 16, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #13,424 of 14,679
Sep 17, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #13,425 of 14,679
I've achieved the Mid-fi Endgame of the Bifrost 2/64 and Burson 3XP.... And I'm kind of hating it... Robbing all of the character out of a Hifiman phone.
The puny JDS Labs Element 1 single ended is giving the HE1000V2 more life.

Is the Vioelectric V222 the fix to Burson 3XP's clinical sound at this tier?
Are there R2R dacs that still keep precision and dynamic impact? I don't want soft, I just want musical. Considering the Hifiman Serenade but it has few reviews.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back