Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 17, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #13,426 of 14,685
I've achieved the Mid-fi Endgame of the Bifrost 2/64 and Burson 3XP.... And I'm kind of hating it... Robbing all of the character out of a Hifiman phone.
The puny JDS Labs Element 1 single ended is giving the HE1000V2 more life.

Is the Vioelectric V222 the fix to Burson 3XP's clinical sound at this tier?
Are there R2R dacs that still keep precision and dynamic impact? I don't want soft, I just want musical. Considering the Hifiman Serenade but it has few reviews.
I have never used any Hifiman HE1000, but I used to own the Soloist 3xp and replaced it with the V222. The V222 brought the bass and dynamic sound to my headphones. You should take a look at the Violectric V222 forum. Many users like the extra slam the V222 adds to planar headphones.

Sep 17, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #13,427 of 14,685
Anyone knows what happened to Hifiman's customer service? It's been 7 days since they last responded to my email
They've replied to me since, and apologized for the delay and said they're training new people currently.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #13,429 of 14,685
I see, thanks for the info. Still waiting on a response from them so I can trade up my HE1000V2
You can only do trade up on headphones bought directly from HiFiMAN, correct?
My plan is to buy from a local reseller, and I assume I won't be able to trade them, if I should update at some point?

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #13,430 of 14,685
My plan is to buy from a local reseller, and I assume I won't be able to trade them, if I should update at some point?
Your mileage may vary, but I traded up my HE6SE v2 purchased from Adorama to get a HE1000 stealth. All they asked is a copy of the original receipt.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #13,431 of 14,685
Your mileage may vary, but I traded up my HE6SE v2 purchased from Adorama to get a HE1000 stealth. All they asked is a copy of the original receipt.
Great input, thanks.
Guess it would be best to email them and ask about the specific retailer then.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #13,432 of 14,685
Nope, bought it from a third party seller used and I even told them I do not have the receipt but they still offered a trade up to the HEK Stealth for 415 shipping included. The price is most likely going to change for me as one of the pads is experiencing peeling but the fact that they even offered a trade up for a product with no receipt is pretty cool to me. They did ask me about the condition of the drivers and the cables though.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #13,433 of 14,685
Nope, bought it from a third party seller used and I even told them I do not have the receipt but they still offered a trade up to the HEK Stealth for 415 shipping included. The price is most likely going to change for me as one of the pads is experiencing peeling but the fact that they even offered a trade up for a product with no receipt is pretty cool to me. They did ask me about the condition of the drivers and the cables though.
Wow, that's amazing! Sounds like superb service and customer care 🤘

Sep 19, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #13,434 of 14,685
So I had another audition with the HEK Stealth, and this time I compared it to the Arya Stealth and the MM-500. The Arya is not that far off, but I felt the overall Imaging and especially the depth of the sound stage was better on the HEK. As they are almost the same price here, the choice is pretty easy for me, the HEK's win.

The MM-500 are really nicely built, but they were not as comfortable for me. And since the sound stage was considerably smaller, I overall prefer the HEK. The MM's has great "texture" and volume in the midrange, which was great, but with a bit of EQ I think I can make the HEK have largely the same tonality if I want to. The MM's are also about $500US more, so again an easy choice.

At this point, I'm pretty sure I will go with the HiFiMAN's.
I currently only have a SMSL C200 to run them, but I hope that is okay for a start?
I could maybe get something else in the $500 range instead, would that be worth it? I have considered trying out a tube amplifier, as I've never had one, and they are supposed to have great imaging, which is very important to me.
Anything worthwhile in this price range? Or should I just stay with the SMSL until I'm willing to pay more?

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #13,435 of 14,685
So I had another audition with the HEK Stealth, and this time I compared it to the Arya Stealth and the MM-500. The Arya is not that far off, but I felt the overall Imaging and especially the depth of the sound stage was better on the HEK. As they are almost the same price here, the choice is pretty easy for me, the HEK's win.

The MM-500 are really nicely built, but they were not as comfortable for me. And since the sound stage was considerably smaller, I overall prefer the HEK. The MM's has great "texture" and volume in the midrange, which was great, but with a bit of EQ I think I can make the HEK have largely the same tonality if I want to. The MM's are also about $500US more, so again an easy choice.

I currently only have a SMSL C200 to run them, but I hope that is okay for a start?
I could maybe get something else in the $500 range instead, would that be worth it? I have considered trying out a tube amplifier, as I've never had one, and they are supposed to have great imaging, which is very important to me.
Anything worthwhile in this price range? Or should I just stay with the SMSL until I'm willing to pay more?
Schiit Lyr comes to mind around that range though its a hybrid tube amp with solid state output stage.

Sep 19, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #13,436 of 14,685

The stealths are awesome!!!
I have a eufonika otc amp built to order for all my low planars. It’s a great tune amp and gives wider imaging than my sparkos Aries. It’s $899 aud so $550 usd. Also the new xduoo ta20 hybrid looks great!!! It’s same price in aud but I think $500 usd. Check both out.

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #13,437 of 14,685
I traded my he6se V2's for the HEK Stealth, the process was super easy. The Hek's arrived today. I'm very happy, everything I listen to sounds great. They feel light and comfy and the build quality feels very nice. I'm using a Topping E70V/L70 stack and it's excellent. Even using my Cayin RU7 they sound so good and easy to drive. I just wanna keep turning up the volume they sound better and better the louder it goes!

Sep 19, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #13,438 of 14,685
I traded my he6se V2's for the HEK Stealth, the process was super easy. The Hek's arrived today. I'm very happy, everything I listen to sounds great. They feel light and comfy and the build quality feels very nice. I'm using a Topping E70V/L70 stack and it's excellent. Even using my Cayin RU7 they sound so good and easy to drive. I just wanna keep turning up the volume they sound better and better the louder it goes!
What differences have you noticed vs the OG V2?

Sep 19, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #13,439 of 14,685
I've never heard the OG V2's, it was the He6se V2's I had traded. But the difference between them, the He6's are more energetic. The Hek's are more laid back. The Hek's sound even more natural with wider stage. The Hek's have more subbass but I think the He6's slam a little harder. The vocals on the Hek's sound exceptional. I also heard some people saying the treble was bright but I'm not hearing that yet at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back