Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 17, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #11,536 of 14,685
Wow faster than the Stealth? I don't think that would be for me.
Just remember the HEKse's uses a completely different driver compared to the HEK V2's. So expect some differences in performance and sound.

Feb 17, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #11,537 of 14,685
Every manufacturer has blips, Hifiman has good support and the vast majority have no problems. My HE-500 are 11 years old and are perfect. I’m super bummed but I’m sure I’ll be made whole. I love the Hifiman sound

Agree on this and you would also agree on the fact that some manufacturers glitch on the lesser side (all points to Beyerdynamic here, where I've hardly ever heard a unit breaking, the legendary tank status of the DT series) and some have a little frequent equipment failure.

And Hifiman tend to be in the latter ball park as of now.

That apart, I too like the Hifiman sound.

Started this hobby a few months back and got me quite a variety of headphones with the Sundara being the one from the Hifiman family.

Let go off of all the cans and finally settled on this HE1000V2 as my primary unit.

Hifiman route - Sundara > Edition XS > Arya Stealth > HE1000V2.

And never had any issue with any of the sets. I was well aware of the QC issues prevalent with the Hifiman family but ignored those as being normal and that may be people are exaggerating them a bit and I am just fine if I use the sets with care. BUT, ironically I too finally got to have a feel of this Hifiman notoriety with their TOTL range model! :D

But still, I love the HE1000V2. A finely engineered piece of merely some thin membranes and magnets that when driven are just a divine pleasure to listen to. :)

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #11,538 of 14,685
also a very fast difference to easy notice between the two is that everything is closer and more thick or expanded in he1000v2stealth
Can you please provide a rough description of the difference using the analogy: Assuming that the most distant/background instruments, vocals etc create the impression of being let's say, 50 meters away from your ears with the HeKse, how much closer does it feel to be with the Stealth? Is it 45m, or something like 30m or even narrower than that? The way you describe it, it seems that we are dealing with some major shift in the tonal profile.

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #11,539 of 14,685
another thing that is already a given , you can't put easily a silver cable on the he1000se ( unless an over-warm system behind them , which I do not have ) and be easy happy of the results; I have 2 balanced silver cables and none of them makethe he1000se a better headphone, the trade off in added brightness is high .

I can put a silver cable on the he1000v2stealth , it slightly changes character and the bightness is bearable - not disturbing ;
not sure if it is the best choice for them too , copper seems quite clearly the better choice for them too at moment ; silver is not bad and adds / improve some of their character ( as copper do as well..)

I expect of course someone saying he uses silver with no major problems for he1000se coupled with a warm system behind , besides me never being a tube guy i hardly understand how more brightness or even more details for high frqs would benefit here .
Objectivity check . . . :thinking:

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #11,540 of 14,685
Can you please provide a rough description of the difference using the analogy: Assuming that the most distant/background instruments, vocals etc create the impression of being let's say, 50 meters away from your ears with the HeKse, how much closer does it feel to be with the Stealth? Is it 45m, or something like 30m or even narrower than that? The way you describe it, it seems that we are dealing with some major shift in the tonal profile.
Shift in layering and distance , yes . tonal profile is a thing I want to discuss later . ps i do not have he1000v2 standard , just the stealth edition

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #11,542 of 14,685
I will listen a bit more before answering more exactly ( the more exactly i can )

Feb 17, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #11,543 of 14,685
Layering seems to be more precise on the he1000se , and can come and picture also from far .

he1000v2stealth is way more engaging on many tracks I tried on first , but the position of x ( something , instrument or tune) is never very far in the horizon of sounds..with he1000se it can reach definitely there .
He1000se is not poorly engaging..the speed is a bit different and gets toe tapping easier , it was easier yesterday at a point to understand and locate different lines of bass with he1000se then with the he1000V2stealth , it was fun too.

Stage on he1000se , on music , genres and recordings that are intended or allow this , is *noticeably* bigger and nicely precise ( not an echo placed somewhere far when is supposed to be pinpoint , it is pinpoint - but placement can run quite far in the stage )

Stereo effects and stereo dynamics are vivid and more engaging on he1000V2stealth

please again consider these as a preliminary impression

it can change to some extents with more time listenings , I did not have at all much time still with both of them..:)

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #11,544 of 14,685
Thanks a lot for the informative response! If any important changes take place with use, keep us updated :)

Feb 17, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #11,546 of 14,685
I don't have the SE's but have now got approx 100 hours on the Stealths, I am convinced I am hearing subtle changes occurring, not sure if these are attributed to my ears adjusting to the sound or actual changes to the headphones. I feel there is a very subtle layer of warmth creeping in, a slight increase in smoothness. This could all be my brain playing tricks but whichever I am getting some very deep listening experiences occurring, very engaging musically. Will be interesting to see if anyone else experiences any changes through increased usage.

Feb 17, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #11,547 of 14,685
sure ,
let me some time with both of them and I will try to answer to your test on distance proportions between the two headphones
My desire is to complement the 6se with something that will do both; improve the sound quality and at the same time to bring me a bit closer to the music.

Btw if anyone has anything to recommend on what I said, planar or dynamic doesn't matter, let me know!

Feb 17, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #11,548 of 14,685
-bass is tighter , leaner and cleaner with he1000se , it is better controlled and feels a little better tuned , drier .
bass is wetter and penetrating the ambient and dimensions at times with he1000v2stealth , it rarely happens with he1000se , bass is very precise and defined in its space . Reaches a bit deeper with he1000se too .

-music is more a 3d envelope with he1000v2stealth , a bubbled universe that wants to grab all your attention "hey I started and I will draw emotions and colors in you " with this or that , in its well defined articulate and expressive partiture
-with he1000se space feels more linear , an open field with lot of air up and different location in the field to look at for sounds and instruments , it invites you to measure distances and reverbs during the flow and to enjoy it - without being in awe for their expressions ; I wouldn't say it is worse , it is asking less attention .

-there's no dubt that guitars sound closer and more analogue and more alive with he1000v2stealth , where they're thinner and usually less expanded with their reverbs and distortions with he1000se ; the he1000V2stealth are warmer and more analoguish sounding then the he1000se, I must admit that drums timbre is usually better and voices are less hissing and sibilant with them ( eq can do something too but the timbre - at least with these instruments and seemingly for voices too is ultimately bit better with he1000V2stealth )

-the level of insights in the recording for both headphones is outstanding , I am picking up faults or mixing oversights I never noticed before , and it's been a time it did not happen.. made a short test and level of resolution seems very close not sure it is different between the two . probably not . I am waiting full burn in as for bass the he1000se seem to offer a better resolve ; for microdetails characterized by high frqs nuances : they're layering different , and tone is different , but that microdetails hard to hear and notice are equally present. although in different layers and timbres . will see and report better in this aspect with more listenings

-dynamics seems slightly better on he1000se . I need more time for this
-layering seems better on he1000se but it is a hit and miss depending on music kind , as it may be overkill for some genres and tracks where chirurgic layering throgh a bigger space is not needed. nevertheless I appreciate and dig this value , more then its absence ; there's definitely more sense of space and air with he1000se whereas there's more diffusion and less emptyness among instruments in the mix with he1000v2stealth

as I already said , the he1000se moves more in a land of classic reference through genres , excelling in some things : space , dimensions , measures and reference , speed , bass timbre and separation , feeling of air and open space sure she feels the more electrostatic' alike . Something tells me that scalability goes furher with them then with he1000v2stealth; the he1000v2stealth are a bit of a different beast really , they seem more tuned ( warmer ) , they sound more modern , engaging , more intimate many times , music sounds and whispers and talks closer and wetter ( at the expense of a narrower stage ? someone may say so depending on what he values more on his listening habits ) , also they want more attention too in their presentation and expression ( again , someone may say this is better .. someone other may say he feels better the other way , enjoying the ride without any added fatigue .. )

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #11,549 of 14,685
Your well thought out and well described insights are greatly appreciated, boodi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back