Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Sep 29, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #9,541 of 14,653
I haven´t heard any Stax but in my opinion HE 1000 (both v1 and v2) is along with Utopia the best headphone I´ve heard. That combination of deep planar bass, great soundstage, clarity and well balanced non -fatiguing sound isnt as common (among higher end headphones) as I thought when entering this hobby. This week I finally had a chance to audition HE-1000 v1, v2 as well as HEX v2 and HE-400S. To be honest with limited time and limited music genre (rock) I couldn´t discern much difference between HEK v1 and v2. However, I would say HEK v2 had a bit better defined bass, very slightly narrower soundstage width and very slightly better soundstage depth. Otherwise quite similar sounding. Effortless, relaxing with remarkable resolution and microdynamics. The source was modest but quite fine sounding NAD CD player and the head amp was Hifiman EF-6.

Awesome post! So how did the Edition X stack up with the 1000? I’ve never heard the little brother.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #9,542 of 14,653
Awesome post! So how did the Edition X stack up with the 1000? I’ve never heard the little brother.

I liked HEX v2 as well. In terms of tonality HEX v2 was warmer sounding than HEK V2 (V1) but it wasnt a big difference. In my opinion HEK v1 and v2 are with Utopia among the most neutral higher end headphones. HEX v2 is to my ears slightly warm headphone in a way similar to my HE-400i. HEX v2 treble was more polite than HEK (v1, v2) and this headphone was generally a bit less resolving than both HEK to my ears. Its soundstage was great, I would say e.g. comparable to HEK v2 in soundstage width (not sure about depth or height) bass was tight, impactful with comparable extension and quality to HEK (at least v1). I felt HEK (v2, v1) were more precise and vibrant in upper midrange and treble. Electric guitars had more bite and crunch, vocals had more airiness. More fair/ accurate to the recordings I would say. HEX v2 was however smoother and more forgiving, slightly lusher in midrange. This is my impression based on limited listening and it should be noted both HEKs were fed by NAD C 516 BEE player and EF6 amp with balanced connection and HEX v2 were fed by my iBasso DX90 so this comparison should be taken with a grain of salt. I terms of sound quality and ergonomics I would take HEX v2 over e.g. HE-560, Oppo PM1, Focal Elear, Beyerdynamic T1(gen 2). In terms of pure sound quality I would take HE-6 over HEX v2. However in terms of ergonomics and convenience/efficiency HEX v2 runs circles around HE-6. Regarding pure sound quality I slightly prefered both HE 1000 v1 and v2 to the HE-6, in wearing comfort both HEKs are significantly better. All these newer Hifiman headphones are indeed very comfortable.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #9,543 of 14,653
I liked HEX v2 as well. In terms of tonality HEX v2 was warmer sounding than HEK V2 (V1) but it wasnt a big difference. In my opinion HEK v1 and v2 are with Utopia among the most neutral higher end headphones. HEX v2 is to my ears slightly warm headphone in a way similar to my HE-400i. HEX v2 treble was more polite than HEK (v1, v2) and this headphone was generally a bit less resolving than both HEK to my ears. Its soundstage was great, I would say e.g. comparable to HEK v2 in soundstage width (not sure about depth or height) bass was tight, impactful with comparable extension and quality to HEK (at least v1). I felt HEK (v2, v1) were more precise and vibrant in upper midrange and treble. Electric guitars had more bite and crunch, vocals had more airiness. More fair/ accurate to the recordings I would say. HEX v2 was however smoother and more forgiving, slightly lusher in midrange. This is my impression based on limited listening and it should be noted both HEKs were fed by NAD C 516 BEE player and EF6 amp with balanced connection and HEX v2 were fed by my iBasso DX90 so this comparison should be taken with a grain of salt. I terms of sound quality and ergonomics I would take HEX v2 over e.g. HE-560, Oppo PM1, Focal Elear, Beyerdynamic T1(gen 2). In terms of pure sound quality I would take HE-6 over HEX v2. However in terms of ergonomics and convenience/efficiency HEX v2 runs circles around HE-6. Regarding pure sound quality I slightly prefered both HE 1000 v1 and v2 to the HE-6, in wearing comfort both HEKs are significantly better. All these newer Hifiman headphones are indeed very comfortable.

Awesome! Thanks for that comparison.

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #9,544 of 14,653
When I heard HEK (probably v1) and HEXv2 on "meet" this year also from EF6, in my opinion HEK were more pleasent more adult sound and HEXv2 less body brighter more direct. So I have opposite opinion :D anyway both is great mainly HEK.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 5:52 AM Post #9,545 of 14,653
I've recently ordered the Toxic Cables Silver Widow (22 AWG, the fatter of the two options) for my HEK V2's. Now need to wait about 3 months.

These are silver litz with a bit of gold. I understand the earlier point that the "bit of gold" will increase the resistance compared to pure silver, but I'm going by Toxic's recommendations based on my requirements. They were spot on when a while back I got SW's cheaper brother Silver Poison (also with a bit of gold) for my HD600's. Toxic also offer a pure silver "Hydra" at much the same price as the SW, but I didn't need the slightly leaner bass that the Hydra apparently gives in comparison.

Price of the SW was about £370 for 6 feet, but I've gone for 11 feet, as I like to walk about a bit when listening.
Would love to compare this to DHC, but the DHC's top models are just so expensive in comparison.

Any impressions yet?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #9,546 of 14,653
Hi guys. I have had my HEK for just over two years now and I love them. Considered the upgrade but decided against this.
I would just like some guidance and help if possible. I use the HEK with my Devialet/Auralic combination. Recently I bought the AK300 DAP and i was using it with some in ears. I thin tried it with my HEKs and I was amazed at how well it worked with them. Infact I think i prefer it to my much more expensive Devialet/Auralic set up.
I am not very good at describing what i hear but I will try. The dev/auralic combo def sounds a bit meatier and fuller but the AK300 has more detail and a much improved crisp treble. Like acoustic guitar sounds much better. I ignored this at first as I thought it cant be possible considering the difference in costs,
But now I use the DAP for my HP listening at home too. Yes I have to use a lot more volume but at 135 it sounds excellent
Have these DAPs improved that much over the years that they can beat the home set up performance? is it because they are optimised for HP use?
Of course this has me thinking sell the Auralic HP amp and put the extra cash towards a better DAP.
The DAP was bought for portable use but now its my go to choice when the neighbours are in.
Any comments or guidance would be appreciated

Ok so now I am replying to my own post :wink:
I have to correct myself as I now think that the Auralic/HE1000 combo is better. I have had a lot of free time over last couple of day and done a lot of HP listening. All weekend used the Dev/Auralic set up.
So this morning connected the AK300 to my HE1000s and it was def not as good. Thinner and slightly more sibilance on some vocals. I now think maybe you just get used to a certain sound if thats what you are primarily using. Mind the AK300 still sounds amazing considering how little it costs compared to the hine set up.

Oct 1, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #9,547 of 14,653
Right now I am using the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp, designed for the HiFiMAN HE-6 headphone, to drive my HE1000 (v1), driven by my Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC. I am trying to downsize my collection, so I am looking for an amp (or even DAC and amp, if DAC is better than the Bifrost), that does not have the relatively huge size of the EF-6, and that is better than the Schiit LYR2 that I already have.

A comparison I did on the HE1000 tour thread showed that the LYR2 was only bested by the EF-6 in driving the HE1000, comparing to the Sennheiser HDVD800, Joseph Grado HPA-1, and HiFiMAN EF-5.

Any suggestions of a smaller lighter amp or DAC plus amp than the HiFiMAN EF-6 that will do as well or better in driving the HE1000?

Others (@Wildcatsare1, @Womaz ) enjoy the Aurilac Taurus (mkII?), while @doctorjazz has recommended the MicroZOTL and the Cavallii Liquid Carbon, and @Zelo-Balance has used the Schiit Mjolnir as preferable to the LYR2, and yet others have made owl-like noises that the EF-6 is really not that great of an amp (apparently mainly because HiFiMAN is not an amp company), though I've not seen any actually compared to the EF-6 or even the LYR2. Besides, I think that all of these amps except maybe the Liquid Carbon have the same large footprint as the EF-6.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #9,548 of 14,653
Try to contact blue circle audio..canadian based audio company...they make custom amps for everyones need..the owner went through same road as fang from hifiman..both perfectionists extreme who care more whats come out in musical bless then how it looks. BC builts its amps like a tank though, but no bling bling...as hifiman is a bit weak on that point...but keeping bling bling low keeps the prices affordable compared to the other high end audio offerings..for my hek is does wonders..as my BC PaG was designed and built with specs to drive a he6 on its best...but turns out it delivers on my HEK too...stunning sound!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #9,550 of 14,653
I own the Hifiman he1000v2, Audeze lcd4, Abyss and Fostex th900mk2. especially with Hifiman the only way to make it sound really good is from the clamps of a good built-in speaker amplifier. I own the Sugden a21 if it's the marriage with the he1000v2 is spectacular! the cables are important but it is useless to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars / euro in ultra expensive cables. just a pure silver cable like this and is perfect with the He1000. I owned Toxic Cable, Italian and American crafts, and this silver is the best ever. the only defect is that it is very rigid being a 24awg. but it is the source to make the true leap of quality at Hifiman making it a total headphone. I had a dac Metrum Pavane, very good but I left bitterness in my mouth. I could not play my headphones excellently. yet it's a R2R ladder of 5000 euro !!! since I bought the Dac Denafrips Terminator the Hifiman he1000v2 literally took the flight! it's a good thing to listen to her now. an exceptional sound that is played by Au Pair with AUdeze lcd4 and Abyss and in some cases is even higher! wonderful headphone and fantastic dac! http://www.ebay.it/itm/0-5mm-AWG-24...384933?hash=item1c9300c2e5:g:TtUAAOSwAANY57Ix

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #9,551 of 14,653
Right now I am using the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp, designed for the HiFiMAN HE-6 headphone, to drive my HE1000 (v1), driven by my Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC. I am trying to downsize my collection, so I am looking for an amp (or even DAC and amp, if DAC is better than the Bifrost), that does not have the relatively huge size of the EF-6, and that is better than the Schiit LYR2 that I already have.

A comparison I did on the HE1000 tour thread showed that the LYR2 was only bested by the EF-6 in driving the HE1000, comparing to the Sennheiser HDVD800, Joseph Grado HPA-1, and HiFiMAN EF-5.

Any suggestions of a smaller lighter amp or DAC plus amp than the HiFiMAN EF-6 that will do as well or better in driving the HE1000?

Others (@Wildcatsare1, @Womaz ) enjoy the Aurilac Taurus (mkII?), while @doctorjazz has recommended the MicroZOTL and the Cavallii Liquid Carbon, and @Zelo-Balance has used the Schiit Mjolnir as preferable to the LYR2, and yet others have made owl-like noises that the EF-6 is really not that great of an amp (apparently mainly because HiFiMAN is not an amp company), though I've not seen any actually compared to the EF-6 or even the LYR2. Besides, I think that all of these amps except maybe the Liquid Carbon have the same large footprint as the EF-6.

I'm using both the amps you mentioned still... I prefer the ZOTL strictly from a SQ standpoint, but it isn't really transportable, if that's what you want. It's smaller than full size rack units, and very light, but has an external power supply, so not exactly what you seem to be looking for. (being tubed also gives it some flexibility in changing the sound) The original LC v1 and v2 are smaller, very light, easy to carry around ("transportable" rather than portable is how it is described), and does a good job as well (still have it as well, but pretty much use the ZOTL, modded by Mojo Audio, with their TOTL LPS, which is definitely NOT transportable, all the time).

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #9,552 of 14,653

I can definitely suggest the Taurus MKII, it drives the HEKv2 (and v1) very well, near the maximum you can extract from this headphone. if you want to push out also the remaining % you must be ready to spend some good money on a custom-made SET tube amplifier. a 300B with custom OPT is perfect and will make the HEKv2 sing like no other amp. an example is in my sig, but there are many other.
btw, the same amps will also happily drive HE6 (but only in bal mode for the Taurus)

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #9,553 of 14,653
Ok so now I am replying to my own post :wink:
I have to correct myself as I now think that the Auralic/HE1000 combo is better. I have had a lot of free time over last couple of day and done a lot of HP listening. All weekend used the Dev/Auralic set up.
So this morning connected the AK300 to my HE1000s and it was def not as good. Thinner and slightly more sibilance on some vocals. I now think maybe you just get used to a certain sound if thats what you are primarily using. Mind the AK300 still sounds amazing considering how little it costs compared to the hine set up.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Taurus / HEK is a really good sounding combination, very few tube amps can better this combo :)

Oct 1, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #9,554 of 14,653
I own Apex Pinnacle and Headmasters gsx mk2. neither of the two amplifiers can successfully pilot the hifiman he1000 v2 as it manages to make Sudgen a21se. I've also tried Violectric v281, Auralic Taurus, Bryston, Little Dot mkvi, and other headphone amplifiers, and none of them can control it. up to 70% but not more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back