Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 5, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #8,522 of 14,653
It seems that it is the best headphone out there. is there any other headphone better than it in this price range?

Ether Flow is punchier and more dynamic, comparable to a dynamic headphone in that way. I think if you want the punchy sound of a dynamic headphone with the bass of a planar dynamic, the Ether Flow could be considered the a different sound at the same tier as the HE1000 at a much lower price ($1799). It also has arguably better build quality.

Also if you include the electrostatics, I think the Stax SR-007 is better, but requires an electrostatic amplifier. Also the MrSpeakers Ether ES electrostatic coming soon for under $3000 will probably cause some heads to roll.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #8,523 of 14,653

Ether Flow is punchier and more dynamic, comparable to a dynamic headphone in that way. I think if you want the punchy sound of a dynamic headphone with the bass of a planar dynamic, the Ether Flow could be considered the a different sound at the same tier as the HE1000 at a much lower price ($1799). It also has arguably better build quality.

Also if you include the electrostatics, I think the Stax SR-007 is better, but requires an electrostatic amplifier. Also the MrSpeakers Ether ES electrostatic coming soon for under $3000 will probably cause some heads to roll.

I really like the Ether Flow (and prefer the Ether Flow C for that matter), but the HE1000 V2 is definitely a cut above to my ears...and the build quality of the new V2 is better than either.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #8,524 of 14,653

I really like the Ether Flow (and prefer the Ether Flow C for that matter), but the HE1000 V2 is definitely a cut above to my ears...and the build quality of the new V2 is better than either.

On the other hand, Ether Flow has pretty crazy sound isolation versus HE1000 which is completely open. I think it's also more useful in more listening environments. The isolation is almost approaches a closed headphone, whereas with the HE1000 you need a really quiet listening environment as virtually everything leaks into the cans.

Also the diaphragm is so thin even a small breeze in the room, not even directly into the cans but some fan or wind induced air circulation will cause the diaphragm to flutter, which can be distracting during playback.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #8,525 of 14,653

On the other hand, Ether Flow has pretty crazy sound isolation versus HE1000 which is completely open. I think it's also more useful in more listening environments. The isolation is almost approaches a closed headphone, whereas with the HE1000 you need a really quiet listening environment as virtually everything leaks into the cans.

Also the diaphragm is so thin even a small breeze in the room, not even directly into the cans but some fan or wind induced air circulation will cause the diaphragm to flutter, which can be distracting during playback.

You mean Ether Flow C right? They are closed headphones and still don't keep up with the HE1000 V2s. General rule of thumb, if you want sound quality, go open backed (less resonances due to the closed cup), but if you want isolation, go closed. And the Ether C Flow are a fantastic choice.

Nov 5, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #8,527 of 14,653
So, I got to hear the v2 at the New York Audio Show today. Granted, it's a noisy environment, not great for critical listening. The ancillary gear was not my usual, familiar equipment. My very unscientific, off the cuff impression? Yes, v2 is more comfortable, but I didn't feel the urge to go out and upgrade right away (the vendors there displaying their gear with the v2 seemed to feel the same way).

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #8,528 of 14,653
  You mean Ether Flow C right? They are closed headphones and still don't keep up with the HE1000 V2s. General rule of thumb, if you want sound quality, go open backed (less resonances due to the closed cup), but if you want isolation, go closed. And the Ether C Flow are a fantastic choice.

No, I'm referring to the Ether Flow. It's got fantastic isolation for an open headphone and drowns out quite a bit of outsite noise. The C Flow is obviously better, but I prefer the more spacious sound of the Ether Flow and the more tipped up treble. If you move your hand quickly side to side with the HE1000 you can hear the diaphram flap from the air current. Everything causes a noise with the HE1000s :p.

It's a super open headphone, and easily picks up outside noise, far more than any other open headphone I've ever had, for example the HD800 or Focal Elear/Utopia all have much better sound isolation in comparison. While the HE1000s are a fantastic headphone I think the weakness to even tiny amounts of external noise pollution can be distracting sometimes, the biggest one being the driver itself easily gets moved by external air currents from the wind/ac/air circulation and just starts making noises by itself.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #8,529 of 14,653

No, I'm referring to the Ether Flow. It's got fantastic isolation for an open headphone. The C Flow is obviously better, but I prefer the more spacious sound of the Ether Flow and the more tipped up treble. If you move your hand quickly side to side with the HE1000 you can hear the diaphram flap. It's a super open headphone, and easily picks up outside noise, far more than any other open headphone I've ever had, more than the HD800 as well.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the C Flow. IME, the Ether Flow was a typical open-backed headphone with regards to isolation. 

Nov 19, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #8,530 of 14,653

Customers who have participated in the upgrade program through AV One: stock has arrived. Jeremy had alerted me on its arrival. Kudos for AV One and Jeremy for taking care of their customers and facilitating the upgrade. :)

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #8,532 of 14,653
Customers who have participated in the upgrade program through AV One: stock has arrived. Jeremy had alerted me on its arrival. Kudos for AV One and Jeremy for taking care of their customers and facilitating the upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

I bought my HEK from them but I was NOT informed of this??? 
confused.gif

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #8,533 of 14,653
I'm surprised. Perhaps an oversight. Reach out to them?

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #8,535 of 14,653
I wish I would of known that I could of gone though AV One...

They do charged S$1,300/US$930 for the trouble...almost the full price of a Focal Elear :scream:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back