Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Oct 31, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #8,507 of 14,653
This is mainly to compare the difference of HE-1000 V1 and V2, as I promised HIFIMAN when

I was informed I got chose to receive V2 free upgrade.

Thanks for the listening impressions of the V2 vs the V1.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #8,508 of 14,653
I'm curious as to why some members are finding differences in sound performance between the V2 and V1....and others, ...not so much?

Any thoughts as to why or what may be the reasons for this?

Thanks.

Oct 31, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #8,509 of 14,653
OK, the next question will be, how do they compare after the V2 has burned in for a while.
Thanks for the fine write up!

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #8,510 of 14,653
  I'm curious as to why some members are finding differences in sound performance between the V2 and V1....and others, ...not so much?

Any thoughts as to why or what may be the reasons for this?

Thanks.

Maybe this is because the differences between V1 and V2 are very specific and really very limited to certain parameters. if you are not interested / not sensitive to that specificity, you don't care.... for example, I don't find my V1 to be harsh (at all) in the treble, so if the V2 is "correcting" this harshness I will not be able to ear the difference.

Or maybe this is because many of us have already "modded" in some way the V1. for example, I did find the stock V1 to be a little "thin" in the mid-bass and bass, and that's why I bought a different cable, and with that the V1 sounds perfect to my ears...

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #8,511 of 14,653
A honest and through comparison. Thank you for that. I'm personally waiting for my paid v2 upgrade to ship out. I'm looking forward to the increase in build quality. I'm actually glad that the sound quality and character is mostly unchanged.

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #8,512 of 14,653

Maybe this is because the differences between V1 and V2 are very specific and really very limited to certain parameters. if you are not interested / not sensitive to that specificity, you don't care.... for example, I don't find my V1 to be harsh (at all) in the treble, so if the V2 is "correcting" this harshness I will not be able to ear the difference.

Or maybe this is because many of us have already "modded" in some way the V1. for example, I did find the stock V1 to be a little "thin" in the mid-bass and bass, and that's why I bought a different cable, and with that the V1 sounds perfect to my ears...

Thanks.That is helpful! 

gto88 had low hours on both the V1 and V2...perhaps that played into it also....

I'm still struggling on whether to upgrade, keep and mod, or sell.

The HE-1000 threads have been very helpful. So a shout out and thumbs up to members!!!

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #8,513 of 14,653
I recently purchased the 1000 V2, actually traded in my Audeze LCDX and Kingsound amp and headphones for them. For me it was a good move, these phones are at or near the top of the food chain. At the same time I purchased Focals Elear (not in the same league but a v good fun headphone). I am currently breaking them in with 3,amps, Cavalli liquid Carbon, HifimanEF5 and an Audeze. Waiting for some cables and connectors from Moon Audio connections for my A&K 320 (balanced cables). Going from LCD X to HE 1000 2 is like moving from darkness into the light. Great resolving power, good bass impact and very good staging. So far the EF5 DY-1 is winning the battle, this little tube amp has some guts. I'm going to continue breaking them in and see what I get, while I need to also break in the Elears. Hopefully next weekend I can get to NY to look at some Woo headphone amps, any suggestions on amp/Dacs would be helpful, I also have a Mojo to use.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #8,514 of 14,653
The v2s are more comfortable than the v1s due to the lighter frame. However if you dont move your head alot I find the v1 earpads more comfortable. The v2 earpads are more firm and dont collapse as much as the v1 which definitely gives the sense of greater pressure on your ears. You can literally fall asleep with the v1 earpads on but the v2s will definitely create enough pressure on your jawline so that you are always aware that they are on.

Oct 31, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #8,515 of 14,653
The v2s are more comfortable than the v1s due to the lighter frame. However if you dont move your head alot I find the v1 earpads more comfortable. The v2 earpads are more firm and dont collapse as much as the v1 which definitely gives the sense of greater pressure on your ears. You can literally fall asleep with the v1 earpads on but the v2s will definitely create enough pressure on your jawline so that you are always aware that they are on.

Thanks for mentioning this.  While I doubt the pressure is as strong as 'Audeze pressure', this is an important factor for me when deciding to upgrade or eventually swapping out pads because I'm very sensitive to clamping pressure.  I personally don't find the pads of the v1 uncomfortable at all and have fallen asleep with the headphones on before.  Which do you prefer as far as sound signature preference and sound quality?

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #8,516 of 14,653
My HEK V2 is here as well.  Surprisingly, it is a much nicer made product.  Lighter and more comfortable to boot.  Still need to burn in but over all I do like it better sound wise.  The soundstage is very intimated and less diffused.  Bass has more oomphs but is very welcomed.  Very smooth and grainfree sound. Treble is smoother as well.  Will need to compare with my V1.  

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #8,517 of 14,653
They still won't send me a new headband :/ They now confirmed that they have no v1 leather straps around and they would have to replace the whole band to v2 since v2 leather apparently doesn't fit the v1. They are willing replace the headband with no charge, however, I'm not sure whether I want to send my headphones to China for such small upgrade. I did ask of them if they could upgrade it to v2 without cables for reduced cost but they refused. I should now decide whether to send them out or make a leather strap myself. How hard is it to disassemble the headphones? Maybe I could persuade them to send me the whole headband and install it myself.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #8,518 of 14,653
That's good to hear Purk since I'm awaiting my V1->V2 upgrade. I've always like the gentility of the HE1000, a quality that also makes me smile with the SR007. Tubes work well for me with the HEK, plumping up the texture nicely.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #8,519 of 14,653
OK, the next question will be, how do they compare after the V2 has burned in for a while.
Thanks for the fine write up!

Mine changed significantly after 20 hours or so.  The bass got deeper and more prominent.  I was suspecting that Hifiman strings that nano thick membrane tight during manufacturing, and it takes some time to loosen up to make large bass waves.  This is just my theory.

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #8,520 of 14,653

Mine changed significantly after 20 hours or so.  The bass got deeper and more prominent.  I was suspecting that Hifiman strings that nano thick membrane tight during manufacturing, and it takes some time to loosen up to make large bass waves.  This is just my theory.

That is good, I should have let it burn-in to catch up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back