Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 28, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #5,776 of 14,653
Today, my uncle returned the HE1K's and I promptly hooked them up to my yggy/ rag, had a shot single-malt scotch and put on some Dave Brubeck and I was in in nirvana. I forgot how well the HE1K like being power by the Rangy, the wonderful texrured and revealing bass. The smooth, lush, yet detailed mids, that always are ever so musical. And the treble that is ever so revealing but never bright. All these characteristics allow the soundstage to become so holographic and detailed. Overall the HE1K, through the Yggy/ Rag, allows the sound to be transparent and natural and ever so musical. As I get older I have been embracing Brubeck and love the revealing, natural sound that comes out of this rig, through the HE1K's.

When I go on vacation for a week, and then come back home and listen to my reference gear, it blows me away how really good something sounds after stepping away from it for a bit.
Sometimes, you just need to step away for some time and re-visit to truly appreciate the finer thing in life.

More good "Getting older/Embracing music", music 
smile.gif

Check out: 

-Shelley Mann/Bill Evans - Sympathy
-McCoy Tyner - Nights of Ballads and Blues
-Grant Green - Green Street

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #5,777 of 14,653

I enjoyed your conversation. There are a lot of things I agree with. There's no need to find consensus on which headphone is better or the best; the best is the one you like best. That's currently the HE1000 (with Silver Dragon and equalizing) for me.

How on earth are you able to drive them directly with the Hugo?  I believe you, I just don't understand.  Thanks.

-Bill

Aug 28, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #5,778 of 14,653
nephilim32 said:

I have but one question for you and if you could be honest with it I'd greatly appreciate it. Do you feel the HE 1000's price tag /performance in comparison to say either the HD 800's or LCD 3's is really worth it? I mean if I'm gonna pay more for a headphone that is priced 1500$ more than say the HD 800 then I should think that, that headphone is leaps and bounds better in every regard do to that price tag. So you think the he 1000's price tag is justified over the 800 or even the LCD 3?
I know one is planar and the other is orthodynamic, but still we are talking 3,000$ here for a headphone. Lol

Two caveats before I answer:
1) Being honest:  Certainly, I'll do my best.  But remember, I'm no authority on this topic and the baseline knowledge level on this site is very high; I'm happy if I can even "run with the pack" when it comes to a lot of the people posting on these forums.  And even if I were an "authority," there's absolutely no guarantee that my impressions would closely match or even roughly approximate your impressions.  You must listen for yourself to have any chance of definitively answering this question--even then you might not be able to make up your own mind (LOL). 
2) LCD 3's: I've listened only briefly and didn't form any sort of opinion that would be worthy of reporting.

Are the HE-1000's worth the price tag in comparison to HD-800:
  For me, yes.  But this is NOT to say they're "twice as good" as the HD-800's.  We're well into the diminishing returns part of the price spectrum here.  There's no real way to answer this question  for someone else, unless you know that person's sonic preference extremely well, as in having known them for years and having done critical listening with them fairly often.  So yes, for ME, but that's a very controversial question based on what posts I've read.  People don't even agree that they're better at all than the HD-800.  I think so and may others think so too.  But others don't.
  Are they "leaps and bounds" better?  In April I'd have said "hell yes," but now it's a LOT closer after listening to the HD-800's a second time in August.  I still think the HE-1000's are "significantly" better (FOR ME), but others certainly would not say the same thing for themselves.  No consensus that I can see.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #5,779 of 14,653

I enjoyed your conversation. There are a lot of things I agree with. There's no need to find consensus on which headphone is better or the best; the best is the one you like best. That's currently the HE1000 (with Silver Dragon and equalizing) for me.

How on earth are you able to drive them directly with the Hugo?  I believe you, I just don't understand.  Thanks.

The Hugo is designed as a DAC + headphone amp and has plenty of power for that purpose – as Rob Watts confirms.

I'm not going to argue with watts, volts and amperes (would have to search the data), but I never enter white territory and only rarely purple (if that tells you something). Meaning: there's still a lot of power reserve available (the same as with the HD 800), and given that the Hugo is unable to clip...

I'm in strong opposition to some other Head-Fiers with this topic, but with one exception so far nobody has pretended that the Hugo doesn't play loud enough with HD 800 and/or HE1000; it's rather the argument that it doesn't drive them «to their potential». Whereas in my book adding an amp to the Hugo prevents it and the attached headphones from exactly that. You must know that thre's no amplification stage to be bypassed in the Hugo, so objectively speaking the signal can only get worse from further electronics in the signal path.

I'm in no way affiliated to Chord and imagine that there might be even better sounding DACs around, but renouncing one (sonically decisive) amplification stage is a strong argument in favor of the Hugo (and others with similar designs). It seems absurd to me to sacrifice this unique design feature for mere euphony or for sonic synergy (which would be achievable with equalizing as well).

In any event the HE1000 sounds excellent with the Hugo to my ears – the most natural and accurate music reproduction I've heard with headphones –, and I've heard most of the top-tier headphones (minus SR-009 and Abyss). Equalizing is mandatory, though, as is the Silver Dragon cable (so far).

Aug 28, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #5,780 of 14,653
When I go on vacation for a week, and then come back home and listen to my reference gear, it blows me away how really good something sounds after stepping away from it for a bit.
Sometimes, you just need to step away for some time and re-visit to truly appreciate the finer thing in life.

More good "Getting older/Embracing music", music 
smile.gif

Check out: 

-Shelley Mann/Bill Evans - Sympathy
-McCoy Tyner - Nights of Ballads and Blues
-Grant Green - Green Street

Couldn't agree with you more.

Throw in a little Kenny Barron, Michel Petrucciani and Keith Jarret for good measure. 

Aug 28, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #5,781 of 14,653

The Hugo is designed as a DAC + headphone amp and has plenty of power for that purpose – as Rob Watts confirms.
  In any event the HE1000 sounds excellent with the Hugo to my ears – the most natural and accurate music reproduction I've heard with headphones –, and I've heard most of the top-tier headphones (minus SR-009 and Abyss). Equalizing is mandatory, though, as is the Silver Dragon cable (so far).

Fair enough.  I haven't heard the Hugo so I can't comment either way.  Thanks for your detailed reply. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #5,782 of 14,653
1) Being honest:  Certainly, I'll do my best.  But remember, I'm no authority on this topic and the baseline knowledge level on this site is very high; I'm happy if I can even "run with the pack" when it comes to a lot of the people posting on these forums.  And even if I were an "authority," there's absolutely no guarantee that my impressions would closely match or even roughly approximate your impressions.  You must listen for yourself to have any chance of definitively answering this question--even then you might not be able to make up your own mind (LOL). 
2) LCD 3's: I've listened only briefly and didn't form any sort of opinion that would be worthy of reporting.

For me, yes.  But this is NOT to say they're "twice as good" as the HD-800's.  We're well into the diminishing returns part of the price spectrum here.  There's no real way to answer this question  for someone else, unless you know that person's sonic preference extremely well, as in having known them for years and having done critical listening with them fairly often.  So yes, for ME, but that's a very controversial question based on what posts I've read.  People don't even agree that they're better at all than the HD-800.  I think so and may others think so too.  But others don't.
  Are they "leaps and bounds" better?  In April I'd have said "hell yes," but now it's a LOT closer after listening to the HD-800's a second time in August.  I still think the HE-1000's are "significantly" better (FOR ME), but others certainly would not say the same thing for themselves.  No consensus that I can see.

Hello DAC brother. :wink:

May I say I am certainly not an expert myself, but I do feel taking in opinions and feelings from like minded audio enthusiasts like yourself is very much, worth my time. :)
It seems that the audio world manufacturers/creators of quality HIFI gear charge an awful lot more than they have to when supposedly a new bar is set or a difference has been added compared to a former benchmark piece of a equipment...in this case a headphone. HD 800's have and still are regarded pretty high in the audio world so may the competition still make way for new arrivals! Enter the latest, the HE 1000 to compete with the stax 009, LCD 3's, Abyss 1924's and of course Sennheiser HD 800's. It's all fair game but sometimes the numbers (price tags) do get in the way of that; however as you said I've just gotta try'em first! Excited? Yes. Skeptical? A little. Mostly because adding 1500$ more over a premium class headphone like an HD 800 has me wondering, but of course very curious. That's the beauty of it.
Anyway, your opinion counts. I appreciate your thoughts. On Monday I have the day off, so I am going to my nearest woo audio dealer outlet (the headphone shop) in Toronto to test out some gear, and of course those HE 1000's will be there. :)
I am also getting far more interested in tube amps and the concept of 'tube rolling' to develop unique sound signatures that can tailor to your gear the best for your tastes. You know, I kind of look at tube rolling like a sophisticated way of EQ'ing without tainting or coloring the sound too much. I think it would be fun to experiment with power and rectifier tubes, which is why I am now interested in Woo AUDIO's WA7 firefly with the separate (extra) power supply. God, wouldn't the WA7 and the HE 1000 be a great pairing? I will know by Monday. Can't wait. Vacuum tube amps offer a unique sound signature that is labeled to be warmer with smoother treble roll off and a sense of a wider stereo imaging than most solid state amps. As you know I have the Burson soloist but I have this feeling that the WA7 may be a better amp to match with my HD 800's. Ok. I yammered enough. I just gotta do some testing (a/b'ing).

Have a great weekend. :)

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #5,783 of 14,653

Throw in a little Kenny Barron, Michel Petrucciani and Keith Jarret for good measure. 

This I can very much identify with. I am a man of the foot if you will, and I take the subway a lot to get around for work n'such. I obviously have a damn good desktop sound chain for home use only, but my travel gear (FIIO e17/v-mota LP 80 crossfades) sound like complete rubbish if I leave the house just before listening to my home base gear. Lol.
After a while at the end of the day of traveling with my mediocre travel gear, I throw on my 800's and it's whoooooa! What a difference. Come to think of it, I should get a better travel headphone. I deserve it. It's just too much of a stretch. I spend a lot of time on the trains. I think I'd be happy with the blue mo-fi's.
Also I can't believe the nominal impedance on the he 1000's. 46ohms! God. You could easily drive those with a FIIO or something modest.
Still. Wouldn't ever travel with those cans. Lol

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #5,784 of 14,653
Hello DAC brother.
wink.gif

May I say I am certainly not an expert myself, but I do feel taking in opinions and feelings from like minded audio enthusiasts like yourself is very much, worth my time.
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems that the audio world manufacturers/creators of quality HIFI gear charge an awful lot more than they have to when supposedly a new bar is set or a difference has been added compared to a former benchmark piece of a equipment...in this case a headphone. HD 800's have and still are regarded pretty high in the audio world so may the competition still make way for new arrivals! Enter the latest, the HE 1000 to compete with the stax 009, LCD 3's, Abyss 1924's and of course Sennheiser HD 800's. It's all fair game but sometimes the numbers (price tags) do get in the way of that; however as you said I've just gotta try'em first! Excited? Yes. Skeptical? A little. Mostly because adding 1500$ more over a premium class headphone like an HD 800 has me wondering, but of course very curious. That's the beauty of it.
Anyway, your opinion counts. I appreciate your thoughts. On Monday I have the day off, so I am going to my nearest woo audio dealer outlet (the headphone shop) in Toronto to test out some gear, and of course those HE 1000's will be there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am also getting far more interested in tube amps and the concept of 'tube rolling' to develop unique sound signatures that can tailor to your gear the best for your tastes. You know, I kind of look at tube rolling like a sophisticated way of EQ'ing without tainting or coloring the sound too much. I think it would be fun to experiment with power and rectifier tubes, which is why I am now interested in Woo AUDIO's WA7 firefly with the separate (extra) power supply. God, wouldn't the WA7 and the HE 1000 be a great pairing? I will know by Monday. Can't wait. Vacuum tube amps offer a unique sound signature that is labeled to be warmer with smoother treble roll off and a sense of a wider stereo imaging than most solid state amps. As you know I have the Burson soloist but I have this feeling that the WA7 may be a better amp to match with my HD 800's. Ok. I yammered enough. I just gotta do some testing (a/b'ing).

Have a great weekend.
smily_headphones1.gif

mmmm......I have the WA7, connected to my Windows 10 laptop (via hd USB cable from Alo Audio). The HE 1000 pairs really well. You should try it.  I love the SQ. But the HE 1000  out of the Chord TT (again connected to hd USB) is superior. I also tried the Chord TT with the WA7 (again connected to the laptop and RCA): about the same as the 2nd one. My Fireflies is the first model (with the stock tubes). AFAIK, there is only one recommended upgrade tubes for the Fireflies (Electro-Harmonix). So, not much tube-rolling.

Aug 29, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #5,785 of 14,653
Also I can't believe the nominal impedance on the he 1000's. 46ohms! God. You could easily drive those with a FIIO or something modest.

Indeed. Despite its modest efficiency it sounds surprisingly good with the X5 II – better than the HD 800 (relatively spoken) with its 450 ohms.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,786 of 14,653
I am also getting far more interested in tube amps and the concept of 'tube rolling' to develop unique sound signatures that can tailor to your gear the best for your tastes. You know, I kind of look at tube rolling like a sophisticated way of EQ'ing without tainting or coloring the sound too much. I think it would be fun to experiment with power and rectifier tubes, which is why I am now interested in Woo AUDIO's WA7 firefly with the separate (extra) power supply. God, wouldn't the WA7 and the HE 1000 be a great pairing?
smily_headphones1.gif

The Decware Taboo Mk3 is a killer headphone amp with the HE 1000 cans, and, has three different tubes you can roll with. (I've been trying alternative regulator, input, and output tubes over the last few days and have come to realize that while rolling offers differences, the stock tubes are really nice.) The amp also pairs very well with my 800s and IEMs

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #5,787 of 14,653
mmm....unfortunately, Decware amps are really next to impossible to get here. I've been quite aware of that amp (been meaning to pair it with the HD 800 that I got in 2013). The "cheapest" tube amp that I've paired with the HE1K is the Alo Audio The PanAm/Passport, with good results. My personal conclusion: the HE1K performs really well with tube amps (PanAm, WA7, CDM which I have and the new Cypher Labs Sustain84, which I was able to audition). I wish we had local dealer representation for Decware.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #5,788 of 14,653
The Schiit Lyr2 pairs well too, and makes it easy to tube roll, but it's not in the same league as the Decware.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #5,789 of 14,653

Michael Petrucciani/Steve Gadd/Anthony Jackson - Trio in Tokyo.

Too much talent and stellar sound quality for one album…should be illegal!
smile.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #5,790 of 14,653
  mmm....unfortunately, Decware amps are really next to impossible to get here. I've been quite aware of that amp (been meaning to pair it with the HD 800 that I got in 2013). The "cheapest" tube amp that I've paired with the HE1K is the Alo Audio The PanAm/Passport, with good results. My personal conclusion: the HE1K performs really well with tube amps (PanAm, WA7, CDM which I have and the new Cypher Labs Sustain84, which I was able to audition). I wish we had local dealer representation for Decware.

I heard one Decware amplifier with my HE-1000s at the headphone meet in Chicago on August 8th.  It had switches that could be used to tailor the sound. It sounded very good.  The switching concept is a great one and almost nobody (but Decware) seems to offer it. 

I know 4 people, including myself, who are thrilled with the pairing of the HE-1000 and the MicroZOTL 2 amplifier.  It retails for $1100.  To my ears, the MicroZOTL 2 with the HE-1000 is magical.  The stock tubes are very good and it was intended (initially at least) for people not to mess around rolling tubes.  The chassis (at least for now) is reported to be not so friendly for tube rolling, either.  Nevertheless, at least one person, Jamato8, has done so.  Here are some links:

My HE-1000 review.  (I didn't have the upgraded power supply from Mojo Audio when I wrote that review and I still don't.  I also don't have any strong urge to buy the power supply upgrade.  I'm satisfied with the STOCK power supply.  I MAY consider the upgrade in the future but it's already SO great that I'm left wondering how much room there is for improvement.)

Zach, who manufactures ZMF Headphones (he mentions the MicroZOTL, not the HE-1K)

Jamato8 post #1

Jamato8 post #2

Jamato8 loves it even more with an upgraded Joule V power supply made by Mojo Audio.

Urban HiFi page.

Linear Tube Audio page.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back