Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 27, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #5,341 of 14,685
Listening to Diana Krall's Wallflower album on the HE1000 now. Sublime.

Love that album. I am going to see her live this Friday! 
biggrin.gif

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jul 28, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #5,342 of 14,685
Listening to Leonard Cohen's Various Positions on the HEK. Wow! Cohen's raspy voice is stunning to listen to. Hallelujah!

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #5,343 of 14,685
  Hi,

My two cents: After comparing the LCD-3, HE1K, HD-800 and SR-009, I decided to get the HE1K. I honestly think they are overall better than the others. The LCD-3 and the HD-800 just couldn't create the level of detail that the HE1K and the Stax can. They are still great headphones, but in the end, they are in a different (but still very awesome) league. 

The hard decision was between the Stax and the HE1k. In the end (and this might be just me, as I didn't actually get a chance to do a side by side comparison), the HE1k seemed to handle bass a little better, with a bit more punch than the Stax. The HE1k also win on the image department, while the Stax seem to be able to handle some finer details better than the Hifiman.

In the end, I feel like the HE1k is a better all-around headphone: throw whatever music you want at them, and they will make it sound awesome. The Stax, on the other hand, seem to offer different levels of awesomeness depending on the track you are playing.

Answering my own question from a few days ago: IMO you can drive the HE1K with an AK240 with a decent sound volume. I've been doing it for the past 2 days and, for me, anything between 65-70 (the AK240 goes up to 75) is adequate, and you still get a little extra margin on top. It will probably not be enough for some lower volume recordings, or if you plan on blasting your brains out, but it will still allow you to enjoy most of your music catalogue.

The HE1k I tested and bought were brand new, so I will burn them in and report back :wink:

I actually think that the HD800 can match the details retrieval of the HEK on the right setup.  Another thing is that the SR009 does image better in my system.  Yes, I also have the HEK and I do really enjoy it as well but IMO the SR009 does image better.  What amp did you use to audition the SR009?

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #5,344 of 14,685
What about the bass comparatively between the two, purk?

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #5,346 of 14,685
Jul 28, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #5,348 of 14,685

Bass information should also be considered when assessing detail retrieval.  The HD800s can't match the planar offerings from Audeze & Hifiman in this regard.  The 800s don't go as low, and more importantly, don't articulate as well.  The HE1000s ups the game further yet in this regard, taking bass reproduction to another level.

That said, it would be interesting to compare top end cans like these after EQing them to account for differing frequency responses.  I'm sure the textural resolution of the 800s would still be very good with that 6 Khz bump neutralized.  And I expect bass detail would still be best in class even if EQed down on the HE1000s.    

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #5,349 of 14,685

Bass information should also be considered when assessing detail retrieval.  The HD800s can't match the planar offerings from Audeze & Hifiman in this regard.  The 800s don't go as low, and more importantly, don't articulate as well.  The HE1000s ups the game further yet in this regard, taking bass reproduction to another level.

That said, it would be interesting to compare top end cans like these after EQing them to account for differing frequency responses.  I'm sure the textural resolution of the 800s would still be very good with that 6 Khz bump neutralized.  And I expect bass detail would still be best in class even if EQed down on the HE1000s.    

I've not heard the HEK match the HD800s level of detail on either of my two rigs: Theta V A/speaker amp or EC 2a3mk4/Yggy. I am not an HD800s fan btw.

The HD800s don't have much sub-bass heft, but they are very good at resolving bass detail. And they articulate silly well. Probably a number 3 after, in no particular order, the HE-6s and Abyss. Perhaps people should stop matching the HD800s with mushy stuff and dampen them to death, then what I am saying will make sense... but hey preference is everything and I respect that.

Jul 28, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #5,350 of 14,685
  Received my HEK from Todd, very enjoyable so far, smooth and detail at the same time, the added bass is welcoming compared to HD800.
Driving it from the WA5 K1K port using WE422A + C3G + WE300B:

Very nice setup.  Excellent pairing with HEK

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #5,351 of 14,685

Actually I do that – I try to equalize my headphones for a passably flat response and extension to both frequency extremes.

By doing so my modified HD 800 delivers excellent bass down to the lowest octave, with impressive impact and clean tone. The HE1000 offers even better texture and definition – and this on the whole frequency spectrum. In exchange drum beats hit a bit harder on the HD 800 (despite the 2 and 4 kHz increase for the HE1000 making up for this deficit to some degree), and its treble is smoother and has more sparkle. That's my main concern with the HE1000: its treble is somewhat unrefined. I have toned down the 6.5-9 kHz excess – which I consider the main cause of that – as good as it gets with the FiiO X5 (II)'s equalizer, but am not entirely satisfied yet. I'm at about 80 hours now, so there's hope the issue will improve with break-in. Also, from the characteristic of the rawness and since the shorter cable (with the 3.5 mm plug) reduces it, I guess that a different cable could help as well.

I drive both headphones with the Chord Hugo. As expected, the Corda Symphony and my other amps make the treble rawness much less apparent, but they do so by smoothing the edges and giving up on the excellent imaging, which isn't my goal with a source known for its high accuracy and a headphone as revealing with a sound as unvarnished as the HE1000.

YMMV

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #5,352 of 14,685

I drive both headphones with the Chord Hugo. As expected, the Corda Symphony and my other amps make the treble rawness much less apparent, but they do so by smoothing the edges and giving up on the excellent imaging, which isn't my goal with a source known for its high accuracy and a headphone as revealing with a sound as unvarnished as the HE1000.

YMMV

You need a beefier amp to fully realize the potential of both the HD800 & HE1000.  I high recommended picking up the Krell Klone KSA-5 (from a reputable builder) or grab the super symmetry dynahi whenever it is up for sale.  

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,353 of 14,685
  You need a beefier amp to fully realize the potential of both the HD800 & HE1000.  I high recommended picking up the Krell Klone KSA-5 (from a reputable builder) or grab the super symmetry dynahi whenever it is up for sale.  

My answer is no. The best amp is a wire with gain – or a wire without gain in the case of the Hugo. I don't want a beefier sound, I want it as accurate as possible. All configurations I've tried lead to the awareness that the direct connection to the Hugo provides exactly that, and everything «beefier» is a self-deception. It may sound more pleasing and/or more spectacular, though. I want accuracy instead. Maybe the Hugo TT or the upcoming Dave are worth considering. YMMV.

Some considerations from Rob Watts to the matter.

And BTW: To realize the potential of HD 800 and HE1000 – and every available headphone – you need to equalize them. «Amp matching» is just a weak substitute.

Jul 28, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #5,355 of 14,685

Users who are viewing this thread

Back