Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jul 26, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #5,326 of 14,653
Goodluck with the 1.5k impedance bro. My guess is that audeze will have to release an amp with a billion output impedance along with the prototype. Also that probably wont come out in less than a year. Saw your 3Fs on the market right after i bought mine. Comfort and reliability issues made me return them in the first week
frown.gif

If it's a planar thus purely-resistive, the output impedance of the amp in relation to its own impedance won't matter. The FR will remain flat.

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #5,327 of 14,653

Yep... did volume match between the HE1000 and the HE-6 driven by the EF-6... three clicks on the digital volume control knob (I think... same amount each time).

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #5,330 of 14,653

I'll wait awhile.  Maybe Audeze will come out with a counter to the HE1Ks that's more reliable than the current LCD-3s while keeping the midrange they're known for.  

I've given up on audeze for the moment, in talks with customer service I told them i'll revisit their line in the future after they've sorted out the reliability issues. Hopefully they get it right with the Audeze Z (new prototype they're working on).
I was going to buy an LCD-XC and opened the forum, and the first thing I saw is a bunch of users receiving cans DOA. Sigh. o audeze, such sweet lush sound, but they really need to get a handle on quality assurance.

Also, in talks with Yoga, isquirel and fririce, have decided to get the Abyss instead of the HEK.

I'm hoping all my gear can arrive before chritmas, its gonna be a fun one.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5,331 of 14,653
Okay...Why'd you cut out my post though lol  :p , barely wrote more than a line.
i didn't ( at least intentionally). It was the "quote reply" that did it. So I had to recreate your brief post in my less brief reply. Wasn't my idea to disappear it! I've been having Real Troubles with the forum... Taking forEVER to fill my screen and requiring multiple log in attempts.

(Oh and it posts dumb things and then puts my name on them!)

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #5,334 of 14,653
Hi,

My two cents: After comparing the LCD-3, HE1K, HD-800 and SR-009, I decided to get the HE1K. I honestly think they are overall better than the others. The LCD-3 and the HD-800 just couldn't create the level of detail that the HE1K and the Stax can. They are still great headphones, but in the end, they are in a different (but still very awesome) league. 

The hard decision was between the Stax and the HE1k. In the end (and this might be just me, as I didn't actually get a chance to do a side by side comparison), the HE1k seemed to handle bass a little better, with a bit more punch than the Stax. The HE1k also win on the image department, while the Stax seem to be able to handle some finer details better than the Hifiman.

In the end, I feel like the HE1k is a better all-around headphone: throw whatever music you want at them, and they will make it sound awesome. The Stax, on the other hand, seem to offer different levels of awesomeness depending on the track you are playing.

Answering my own question from a few days ago: IMO you can drive the HE1K with an AK240 with a decent sound volume. I've been doing it for the past 2 days and, for me, anything between 65-70 (the AK240 goes up to 75) is adequate, and you still get a little extra margin on top. It will probably not be enough for some lower volume recordings, or if you plan on blasting your brains out, but it will still allow you to enjoy most of your music catalogue.

The HE1k I tested and bought were brand new, so I will burn them in and report back :wink:

Jul 27, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #5,335 of 14,653
Wonder how the HE1000 sounds with 300B tubes like the Takatsuki....

I can confirm they sound superb.... Though they are the most critical and demanding of upstream gear out of all the headphones I've used or tried. Very transparent but the killer is in how well they do different textures. Any imperfections in the DAC especially are highlighted. If I were using the Vega instead of the DaVinci it would be a different story entirely.
Also noticed they could do with a slight boost to the upper mid bass, they extend very low and resolution remains to the lowest octave but they could do with more bass presence as such.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #5,336 of 14,653
I can confirm they sound superb.... Though they are the most critical and demanding of upstream gear out of all the headphones I've used or tried. Very transparent but the killer is in how well they do different textures. Any imperfections in the DAC especially are highlighted. If I were using the Vega instead of the DaVinci it would be a different story entirely.
Also noticed they could do with a slight boost to the upper mid bass, they extend very low and resolution remains to the lowest octave but they could do with more bass presence as such.

Not so sure about, I have been playing with an EQ today after we spoke yesterday & that takes the relative neutrality out of them and they lose the coherence through the mids, still playing around but playing with better cables yields the best improvement on the headphone end. Agree about upstream gear choices, would be staying away from bright or harsh ams or sources, but I imagine anyone with the $ to buy these would have some pretty good choices options available to them.

Jul 27, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #5,337 of 14,653
Not so sure about, I have been playing with an EQ today after we spoke yesterday & that takes the relative neutrality out of them and they lose the coherence through the mids, still playing around but playing with better cables yields the best improvement on the headphone end. Agree about upstream gear choices, would be staying away from bright or harsh ams or sources, but I imagine anyone with the $ to buy these would have some pretty good choices options available to them.

I may have to wait to try them out with better cables, very transparent headphones, so should yield good results. The stock cable is very average and rather microphonic, I'd say most of the budget went into the drivers themselves.

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #5,339 of 14,653
Nub here, just wanted to ask how to judge or even hear how microphonic a cable is. :/

No worries, always glad to help. Pretty much when a cable transmits mechanical noise through to the headphone. So for example if you tap the cable and you can hear that being transmitted through the headphones then it's microphonic. While its not electrical noise, as much (any moving conductor created a small signal), it's more mechanical vibration exciting the driver or headphone frame.
If I move around with a microphonic cable attached I'll hear it rustle as it brushes against my clothes. With a well damped and designed one that noise won't come through.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #5,340 of 14,653
No worries, always glad to help. Pretty much when a cable transmits mechanical noise through to the headphone. So for example if you tap the cable and you can hear that being transmitted through the headphones then it's microphonic. While its not electrical noise, as much (any moving conductor created a small signal), it's more mechanical vibration exciting the driver or headphone frame.
If I move around with a microphonic cable attached I'll hear it rustle as it brushes against my clothes. With a well damped and designed one that noise won't come through.
Does it have to be pluged in? I mean, ive tried to do that many times with my phones and the only thing close to microphonics ive heard was with a pair of really sensitive IEMs i demoed in a store. It let out a popping noise every once in a while, is that microphonics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back