Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #4,531 of 14,653
  I noticed a small increase, in positional resolution and soundstage, when I compared my as-received HE1000 beta to after 130 hours of use.

Yeah, come to think of of it, I think I heard a 1.3% reduction in the treble splashiness aspect with the betas after running them for 2 days straight. With the production units, not hearing any change. Maybe HFM burned in the production units for longer? I know they were in a rush trying to get the betas out to people in a timely fashion.

Jun 24, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #4,532 of 14,653

Yeah, come to think of of it, I think I heard a 1.3% reduction in the treble splashiness aspect with the betas after running them for 2 days straight. With the production units, not hearing any change. Maybe HFM burned in the production units for longer? I know they were in a rush trying to get the betas out to people in a timely fashion.

Plankton level remained low (lower than HD 800) throughout the 130 hours, but chloroplast increased a bit with use, I think.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #4,534 of 14,653
The headphones aren't designed to have the drivers moving air With no resistance (your head) Almost like a speaker playing not being in an enclosure, it would over extend. The towel is acting as a buffer to add resistance to the drivers. Technically a towel isn't ideal as it lets too much air through, but it's better than playing them pad to pad. Some of you might have experienced your planars, if you have the music at a higher volume but not on your head yet, will sound distorted until they are place on your head.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #4,535 of 14,653
Never thought of that...knew I read Head Fi threads for a reason!

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #4,536 of 14,653
This is a good evening.  I received a pair of the HE1000 in for this weekend's Chicago Head-Fi meet and really have not sat down and just listened.  They have been playing by themselves most of the time.  Tonight is really the first time I have really sat down and just listened to them.  I must say I enjoying the time this evening.  Reminds me a month ago when I switched over to Roon, all I really wanted to do is just sit back and re-experience the music.  

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #4,537 of 14,653
I noticed a small increase, in positional resolution and soundstage, when I compared my as-received HE1000 beta to after 130 hours of use:

Comparison of HE1000 Beta to Sennheiser HD 800 and Grado PS1000 - 1st place (blue, 3), 2nd (red, 2), 3rd (yellow, 1) in 3-way compare on 10 acoustic features.

Same comparison after 130 hours of use on HE1000 (right column of explanation omitted).

ps1000 stacks up pretty well with its 40mm driver and wins on transparency

Jun 25, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #4,538 of 14,653
The headphones aren't designed to have the drivers moving air With no resistance (your head) Almost like a speaker playing not being in an enclosure, it would over extend. The towel is acting as a buffer to add resistance to the drivers. Technically a towel isn't ideal as it lets too much air through, but it's better than playing them pad to pad. Some of you might have experienced your planars, if you have the music at a higher volume but not on your head yet, will sound distorted until they are place on your head.

On the other hand, the lack of damping without the towel might hasten the burn-in process.

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4,539 of 14,653

Good head. 
evil_smiley.gif

…and…she never complains about you spending money on your audio hobby...
smile.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #4,540 of 14,653

Good head. 
evil_smiley.gif

…and…she never complains about you spending money on your audio hobby...
smile.gif

Goddamit! what do you do with the photo of my wife here on this site?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #4,541 of 14,653
On the other hand, the lack of damping without the towel might hasten the burn-in process.

Feel free to do it that way. Or you can use a baffle and turn the volume up. Again headphone drivers aren't designed to be driven into each other. If you have tower speakers would putting them face to face speed things up? Maybe. I just use baffles on my headphones. Again towels aren't ideal but IMO it's much better than pad to pad. I also use baffles on my earphones, it's not a towel though :).

Jun 25, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #4,544 of 14,653
Jun 25, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #4,545 of 14,653
I will be glad when the page changes. lol 

I have been running the Zotl Micro in. Changed to some CV4024 tubes and some Tung-Sol tall glass angled plates and wow, what sound. The HE1000 and the Zotl in this configuration have great depth to the soundstage and tremendous impact. The imaging is very natural. Not spread out for each instrument or packed tightly into a pinpoint. Great combination. Sax has that bight and it sings. But what I notice is the dynamics and bass slam. The bass slam really surprises me. 

I have some adapters arriving today for my VT99's, which are the equivalent of the 6SN7 and that should be fun but for now the Tung-Sol really do a fantastic job in combo with the HE1000. The 1000 just seem to morph to what is driving them so what you have upstream just makes them better, the better whatever you are using, is. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back