Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 22, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #4,502 of 14,662
Aren't you required to wear Beats???

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,503 of 14,662
I have just dug out my old portable setup to try it with the HE1000. iPhone 6+ -> Fostex HP-P1 -> SR-71A. Compared with the US$20,000 Esoteric source gear and the Liquid Fire, I notice a very noticeable drop in the finesse and details which are the charm of the HE1000. Make no mistake - the HE1000 still sounds incredibly good in this setup, but it is more like the LCD-3 sounding from the same setup now. In my desktop setup I find the details of HE1000 considerably better than the LCD3 but not on the portable setup.

I think this again proves how planar and electrostatic headphones do require very good source gear to realize their full potential (well, there is no "portable setup" for the SR-009 anyway, as far as I am aware). My AK240 is in the office so I will try that as a source with the SR71A later. Not sure if that would be very much better than using iPhone 6+ and HP-P1 as source, but if it is any better, I am quite sure that the HE1000 will reveal that.

Jun 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4,504 of 14,662
I believe you hear it that way...I find, on my amps (Ray Samuels HR-2 and newly acquired MicroZOTL), mostly using Pono line out for source, I hear quite a difference between the 560 and the HEk. Don't have an LCD-3, maybe it is on the level of the HEk when using only $1000 amps and Daps as sources, could be....

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #4,506 of 14,662
mids are more prominent & emphasized on the lcd-3 and have a very nice liquid smoothness. however, I personally found the he-1k to have better technical abilities in speed, sound stage, imaging, resolution, note spacing, bass extension, and bass impact from my direct comparisions in audition conditions for the lcd-3. The HE-1K also has a nice sense of liquidness to its midrange, but not to the extent of the lcd-3 where there is a bit of bleed between notes.

of course at the end of the day, it just depends on your personal preferences what sound sig you enjoy most. I like the lcd-x more than the lcd-3 for hip hop. and i like the he1k more than all of them. but thats just my personal preference

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #4,507 of 14,662
Mine are scheduled to be delivered by UPS on Wednesday. Can't wait.

Would a Woo WA22 have enough oomph to drive them with authority? (1500mw at 32 ohm according to user manual, although it's not clear if that's balance or SE output.)

Upstream will be VTL7.5II fed by MSB stack.

Thanks

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #4,508 of 14,662
  Mine are scheduled to be delivered by UPS on Wednesday. Can't wait.

Would a Woo WA22 have enough oomph to drive them with authority? (1500mw at 32 ohm according to user manual, although it's not clear if that's balance or SE output.)

Upstream will be VTL7.5II fed by MSB stack.

Thanks

This is the kind of source gear that I am talking about which can realise the full potential of the HE1000. Certainly, one cannot just put a price tag on source gear which can do the HE1000 justice, but as I pointed out in another thread, using $20,000+ Esoteric source gear, the sound of HE1000 is fundamentally different from the LCD3, and the LCD3 immediately paled in terms of transient response and finesse. However, when used with a portable setup (iPhone 6+,  HP-P1, SR71A), volume-wise the cans sound ok but it loses out all the details that I heard with the desktop setup, and they sound more similar to LCD-3 on the same setup than on my desktop rig.  

Simply put, to realise the full potential of the HE1000, I am afraid most Head-fi brand DACs simply just cannot do the job, and one needs to look further into the high end Hi-fi market to find some really good source gear to do the HE1000 justice. The MSB gear used by this respected Head-fier is an example of such fine source gear that one should consider. Not Schitt, or iRiver.

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #4,509 of 14,662
Anyone got $19,000 to lend me! :D

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #4,510 of 14,662
Anyone got $19,000 to lend me!
biggrin.gif

As I said, there isn't a certain price tag on gear which we can rely on. The HE1000 does bring out the difference in the levels of source gear. In comparison, the LCD-3 is quite forgiving in inferior source gear due to its mid range smoothness. It is not the case for the HE1000.

It is a lesson that I learnt from setting up my SR009 - only the best headphones can reveal the most minute differences in the quality of source gear, and, at the same time, only the best source gear can truly set apart the best headphones from the good ones. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4,511 of 14,662
Basically, you're saying the HEk scales up more than the Audeze, not a foreign concept in these parts. Don't have the Ways And Means (hey, Good line for a song) to compare all the TOTL cans and sources out there, that's one reason to read these threads, I think the MicroZOTL drives the HEK terrifically, and gets a lot out of them, but don't know how it compares to the high priced spread. Have the Liquid Carbon on order, many say it plays very nicely with the HEk, close to its higher priced siblings. Hey, it's all good, we're just having fun with gear and music.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #4,512 of 14,662

This is the kind of source gear that I am talking about which can realise the full potential of the HE1000.

Simply put, to realise the full potential of the HE1000, I am afraid most Head-fi brand DACs simply just cannot do the job, and one needs to look further into the high end Hi-fi market to find some really good source gear to do the HE1000 justice. The MSB gear used by this respected Head-fier is an example of such fine source gear that one should consider. Not Schitt, or iRiver.

In your judgement, would the Woo WA22 have enough oomph to power the HE1000 cans?

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #4,513 of 14,662

Mine has arrived! Had some listening done last night on my LAu/Bricasti DAC. Initial impressions are its very nice indeed! :)

Jun 23, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #4,515 of 14,662
Nice DAC.  Got my eyes on one..

Thanks, Preproman. Yes, i do like it very much. Easily the best purchase I have made thus far.

Listening to the HE1000 now. Woke up a bit earlier to have some time with it before I leave for work. :) Diana Krall's the Look of Love in DSD. Nice transparency and details. There's an excellent depth of the soundstage and width. Effortless and natural presentation of the music. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back