Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jun 7, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #4,201 of 14,685
Somebody did an comparison between the HE1000 and SR007 ?
I like the SR007 but I find it too ethereal and lack of impact. I like smooth and inofensive sound.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #4,202 of 14,685
  Somebody did an comparison between the HE1000 and SR007 ?
I like the SR007 but I find it too ethereal and lack of impact. I like smooth and inofensive sound.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/767883/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread, go through the impressions and read what you described in many words...But I don't think anyone made the SR007 comparison yet. Many SR009 comparisons, though.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #4,203 of 14,685
  It sounds like the beta program was like a field test just looking for major flaws in operation or performance. I speculate this was due to the drama in the HE560 rollout. Hifiman obviously didn't want to repeat that experience. And of course, they didn't want an Ultrasone ED10 debacle. (No viral videos of Tyll sickened by a production phone will be forthcoming now.)
So from that perspective, I can see that the beta test makes sense. It was a last minute pause before showtime, and that makes perfect sense to me.
It was not an attempt to make sure 100% of headphiles testified that this was the ultimate headphone (or even a worthwhile one), an impossible quest anyway.
(Again, all just speculation here of course...)

That is right. That is actually why I told HiFiMAN it should not have been called Beta Test but something like "Field Evaluation". These units are production level units and they were not expecting any major changes before rolling them out to the market.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #4,204 of 14,685
What is the build quality like on the retail units ?

Jun 7, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #4,206 of 14,685
Anyone able to compare the performance of the HiFIMAN EF6 amp vs. the Schiit Lyr2 for the HE1000?  Also, since HiFiMAN says that driving the HE1000 is similar to driving the HE560, any comparison of the EF6 vs. the Lyr2 in driving the HE560 (as a surrogate for ability to drive the HE1000)? Thanks!

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #4,207 of 14,685
  Anyone else bothered by the apparent release of the HEK? 

I mean, quite a few very experienced beta testers aren't exactly happy with the results.
Yes, I know it's all subjective. Still, isn't that part of the beta - to consult feedback and make appropriate changes.
For all you fanboys that are happy with the current state, great.

This isn't a cheap offering and it seems a little ridiculous they're now rolling out either A. The current version.
or B. Some new improved version. Is it unreasonable to further explore more testing..

Or maybe I'm the only person fed up with the BS from these companies rolling out a new revision under our noses.
Yes, I'm talking about Aude'ze. 

I said this a long time ago in this thread that the beta roll out makes me feel like fang spent 7 months not years designing this headphone and "Why shart on the last step when it's the last step".

Still at least HFM is doing something. If anyone is the laughing stock of totl it is sennheiser imo. Nothing since the hd800 except 2 schitty amp/amp dac's, a piece of garbage hd700, and like 30 beats wannabe urbanite phones. I realize that sennheiser is much bigger than most headphone companies and have to conform themselves to the market just a bit more, but they have completely given up on totl in the last 6 years imo.

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #4,208 of 14,685
... Still at least HFM is doing something. If anyone is the laughing stock of totl it is sennheiser imo. Nothing since the hd800 except 2 schitty amp/amp dac's, a piece of garbage hd700, and like 30 beats wannabe urbanite phones. I realize that sennheiser is much bigger than most headphone companies and have to conform themselves to the market just a bit more, but they have completely given up on totl in the last 6 years imo.

I don't think anyone who has a decent set up for an HD800 would be trading it for a HE1000. And I don't hear anyone laughing about Sennheiser either. The HE1000 is double the cost of the HD800 and there are not a lot of comments that it is way better than the HD800. Different in tonality and presentation but that's a matter of personal preference and favorite music style. The HD800 is still the best dynamic headphone out there. To significantly improve on it will be very difficult. And any minor tweak that increases the price will not be accepted, so that's why there is not a successor model in short period of time. Why kill an excellent performing model for no apparent reason other than marketing?

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #4,209 of 14,685

I don't think anyone who has a decent set up for an HD800 would be trading it for a HE1000. And I don't hear anyone laughing about Sennheiser either. The HE1000 is double the cost of the HD800 and there are not a lot of comments that it is way better than the HD800. Different in tonality and presentation but that's a matter of personal preference and favorite music style. The HD800 is still the best dynamic headphone out there. To significantly improve on it will be very difficult. And any minor tweak that increases the price will not be accepted, so that's why there is not a successor model in short period of time. Why kill an excellent performing model for no apparent reason other than marketing?

Why make 30 urbanite headphones when it already been done to death? Why not come out with a slightly darker, slightly easier to drive hd850? I am also not saying kill the hd800, that is a giant misquote sir. I also did not care for the hd800 till I heard it on an amp with ohm output. Tried it out with many a high end solid state and every time treble spike, wonky bass, lifeless mids, only the violectric was solid enough sq wise that I could wear them for an hour, despite their amazing comfort, the sound out of most SS amps with hd800's is so-so.

Jun 7, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #4,210 of 14,685
sennheiser definitely isn't a laughing stock and neither is the hd800. kudos to sennheiser for not releasing a new flagship in response to what its competitors are doing. the hd800 was the product of a serious r&d effort and it's a success for sennheiser. the bar has been set high for its eventual replacement so it's hardly surprising that sennheiser isn't rushing it to market.

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #4,211 of 14,685
sennheiser definitely isn't a laughing stock and neither is the hd800. kudos to sennheiser for not releasing a new flagship in response to what its competitors are doing. the hd800 was the product of a serious r&d effort and it's a success for sennheiser. the bar has been set high for its eventual replacement so it's hardly surprising that sennheiser isn't rushing it to market.

Never said sennheiser or the hd800 was a laughing stock, again another misquote... I said that there latest totl releases since the hd800 are a laughing stock and maybe that was a bit harsh but that is how I feel. Airbow came out with a much more preferable headphone compared to the 407 and 507 and you can not tell visually they are any different just soundwise and that is really all sennheiser had to do. Come out with a hd850 that had a more polite treble and played better with zero ohm. Could be totally identical to the hd800 other than some different badging.

If you want to back a company that puts out strait rip off amp/amp/dac and headphones since the hd800's and concentrates itself on urbanite headphones than more power to you but you are not someone that is into totl imo and neither is sennheiser.

Also I have been on quite an r10 hunt. 7 out of 7 r10/hd800 owners told me they preferred the r10. Not one person picked the hd800. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #4,213 of 14,685

Also I have been on quite an r10 hunt. 7 out of 7 r10/hd800 owners told me they preferred the r10. Not one person picked the hd800. 

When there is a readily available stock of R10's for ~$1000 this would be more relevant. 

Something tells me if the R10 was still in production at H800 costs, and the HD800 was some rare out-of-production headphone with a massive price tag you may get some variation in that 7 out of 7. 

Never heard an R10 and I'm sure its very nice, but that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #4,215 of 14,685

When there is a readily available stock of R10's for ~$1000 this would be more relevant. 

Something tells me if the R10 was still in production at H800 costs, and the HD800 was some rare out-of-production headphone with a massive price tag you may get some variation in that 7 out of 7. 

Never heard an R10 and I'm sure its very nice, but that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison.

You have a good point but 7 out of 7 is allot imo and I offered these guys $5k for their headphones and none of them would come off of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back