Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 19, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,357 of 14,702
I do know two people who have compared the HD800s directly to the HE-1000 and both preferred the HE-1000 by a good margin. One of the two is an HD800 die hard.

Would you be able to link us to their posts? Or were their thoughts shared privately?

Personal conversations. Sorry, no surveillance audio/video available.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,360 of 14,702
I'm quite sure the HE-1000 very well may outperform the HD 800. Problem is, even I sold my HD 800 towards the HE-1000 I'd still be $2,000 short...

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #2,361 of 14,702
Nothing wrong with having an opinion. I want to listen to them before deciding myself.

I do know two people who have compared the HD800s directly to the HE-1000 and both preferred the HE-1000 by a good margin. One of the two is an HD800 die hard.

It's probably more of a personal preference decision at that level. I prefer the LCD3 to the HD800 but wouldn't argue with someone who sees that comparison differently.

Yes please do. No review will ever substitute trying them out in person. Personally, I am having a hard time comprehending some of these other reviews. Perhaps it is just the fact they prefer the sound signature of the HE1000 over the HD800. The main claim of my review was that they simply aren't this great revolution that people are expecting. Believe me, I really wanted them to be.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2,362 of 14,702

Yes please do. No review will ever substitute trying them out in person. Personally, I am having a hard time comprehending some of these other reviews. Perhaps it is just the fact they prefer the sound signature of the HE1000 over the HD800. The main claim of my review was that they simply aren't this great revolution that people are expecting. Believe me, I really wanted them to be.

If it isn't a big step up from the modded HD800 / modded HE6 then I save myself the 3K USD and be happy
beyersmile.png

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #2,363 of 14,702
  If it isn't a big step up from the modded HD800 / modded HE6 then I save myself the 3K USD and be happy
beyersmile.png

I had a short listen to the HE6 as well during my stay. It was not modded(at least to my knowledge). The HE1000 sounded to the HE6 like what the HD800 sounds to the HD650. It generally just improves on all aspects. I did not listen to the HE6 long enough to get a really good comparison on the sound signature difference, however my short impression was that the HE6 sounded like the HE1000, just worse.
That being said an unbiased comparison between the HD800 (since I have my gripes with the HD800 to begin with) and the HE1000 revealed to me that (I said all this in my review but I'll say it here anyway) the HE1000 sounded a bit hazy and a bit like you were in the audience with less realistic sound, while the HD800s were clear sounding and it sounded like I was on stage. When I closed my eyes, It sounded like I was really there. Something I could not do with the HE1000.
The HE1000 are not bad. They are about as "hazy" as an HE6, if you consider an HE6 hazy sounding. But I compared the HD800 directly to the HE1000 with about a 1-2 second transfer time between headphones and it is blatantly undeniable that the HD800 are more clear, transparent, and have more realism. It was like night and day when determining which one you could trick yourself into thinking it was real.
The HE1000 are really something you have to try for yourself. I gave the analogy that they sound like a "rustic tavern with a fire going" or "relaxing in a cozy chair in front of a fire" kind of sound. kind of soothing. The hd800s are definitely not that kind of headphone.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #2,364 of 14,702
I'm quite sure the HE-1000 very well may outperform the HD 800. Problem is, even I sold my HD 800 towards the HE-1000 I'd still be $2,000 short...

You made me laugh 
biggrin.gif
 Probably because I feel you 
tongue.gif

Still, I won't regret it if it's not a revolution as per current flagship standard below 1,5k. It would probably be 3 times or so the price of an HD800 here if it was to retail at $3000 in the US, or 3.5 HE-560 units. 
As the same time, a revolution for me may be the technicality of an HD-800, or close to it, with the fullness of an HE-560 or HE-6... 

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,365 of 14,702

You made me laugh 
biggrin.gif
 Probably because I feel you 
tongue.gif

Still, I won't regret it if it's not a revolution as per current flagship standard below 1,5k. It would probably be 3 times or so the price of an HD800 here if it was to retail at $3000 in the US, or 3.5 HE-560 units. 
As the same time, a revolution for me may be the technicality of an HD-800, or close to it, with the fullness of an HE-560 or HE-6... 

I demoed the MHP1000 for a few minutes before I left. It sounded like a closed back HD800 in every way (even though the sound stage wasn't that different) with the fullness of an he6. When switching between the MHP1000 the HD800 sounded so shallow and a bit tinny.  I had no idea, I've never even heard of these headphones. To me the MHP1000 was the true star of the event. Too bad I had to go before I could really get a proper comparison. I seriously need to look into these headphones a bit more and do a proper demo.
It's kind of funny how after all this time I found my "improved HD800" where I wasn't even looking. Too bad I still can't afford it
tongue.gif
. It's $2000

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,366 of 14,702
  I demoed the MHP1000 for a few minutes before I left. It sounded like a closed back HD800 (even though the sound stage wasn't that different) with the fullness of an he6. When switching between the MHP1000 the HD800 sounded so shallow and a bit tinny. I had no idea, I've never even heard of these headphones. To me the MHP1000 was the true star of the event. Too bad I had to go before I could really get a proper comparison. I seriously need to look into these headphones a bit more.
It's kind of funny how after all this time I found my "improved HD800" where I wasn't even looking. Too bad I still can't afford it
tongue.gif
. It's $2000

Well, it seems also very hard to find 
eek.gif

I'll keep it in mind, but my ears (brain?) always had trouble with closed-back headphones, maybe I'm too claustrophobic that way 
biggrin.gif

I still wonder in what ways the HE-1000 will improve over the HE-560, since it's really not bad headphones to start with, mainly missing the technical prowess of an HD800 for me.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,367 of 14,702

Well, it seems also very hard to find 
eek.gif

I'll keep it in mind, but my ears (brain?) always had trouble with closed-back headphones, maybe I'm too claustrophobic that way 
biggrin.gif

I still wonder in what ways the HE-1000 will improve over the HE-560, since it's really not bad headphones to start with, mainly missing the technical prowess of an HD800 for me.

They did not really sound like closed back headphones. I would swear they were open back if I was blind folded. I too don't enjoy traditional closed back.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #2,368 of 14,702

Hey coinmaster, this is Craig (the guy with the HE-6). I think we need to remember no headphone is all things to all listeners. It all comes down to personal taste and what's important to you. If the HD800s soundstaging is your thing the HE1000 on todays setup didn't quite match it in out of your headness. If you like a more balanced full bodied and natural toned hp, I believe the HE-6 is better compared to the HD800. Heck you even commented that that the 800s sounded tinny, just as I told you at todays meet. You also commented that the 800s lack soul, I find no such problem with the HE-6.
You said the Hifiman's have a haze in comparison. Thats because the HE-6, HE1000 (and SR-009 for example) don't have the elevated treble of the HD800 so at first listen they don't appear to be as resolving. But if you LIVE with them for some time you will realize they are just as and even more resolving in most areas. Notice I haven't commented further on the HE1000, thats because I haven't spent enough time with them using my own source to fully access what they are capable of. In my limited time with the HE1000, I got the impression they have improved bass/ body, soundstaging and treble clarity compared to the HE-6. If after an extended audition in my home I find this to be the case, I will definitely be purchasing them as those are the areas I wanted a hp that performed better in.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #2,369 of 14,702
Sup Cradon 
bigsmile_face.gif
^ This is the one people should talk to about the HE1000. He really got a good long listen and he owns the he6 as well. I can only post first impressions.
I do find the claim that the "haziness" goes away a bit hard to swallow since the difference was so plain and clear when switching between them. However I can't claim that I know everything because I don't. Perhaps you could be right somehow.
Also the HD800s only sounded "tinny" when comparing them to the MHP1000. It was kind of like how you told me the SR-009 would reveal the weaknesses in my HD800. I got a bit of that with the HPS1000.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,370 of 14,702
  [...]In my limited time with the HE1000, I got the impression they have improved bass/ body, soundstaging and treble clarity compared to the HE-6.[...]

As long as it's not "painfully" clear, this does sound good. The price doesn't (at least compared to my $700 used HD800 & HE-560), I'm still hoping they'd go closer to 2k while bringing the HE-6 closer to 1k, also being a more direct competitor to the HD800/LCD3/LCD-X, but that's another story 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back