Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #2,371 of 14,798
  Hey coinmaster, this is Craig (the guy with the HE-6). I think we need to remember no headphone is all things to all listeners. It all comes down to personal taste and what's important to you. If the HD800s soundstaging is your thing the HE1000 on todays setup didn't quite match it in out of your headness. If you like a more balanced full bodied and natural toned hp, I believe the HE-6 is better compared to the HD800. Heck you even commented that that the 800s sounded tinny, just as I told you at todays meet. You also commented that the 800s lack soul, I find no such problem with the HE-6.
You said the Hifiman's have a haze in comparison. Thats because the HE-6, HE1000 (and SR-009 for example) don't have the elevated treble of the HD800 so at first listen they don't appear to be as resolving. But if you LIVE with them for some time you will realize they are just as and even more resolving in most areas. Notice I haven't commented further on the HE1000, thats because I haven't spent enough time with them using my own source to fully access what they are capable of. In my limited time with the HE1000, I got the impression they have improved bass/ body, soundstaging and treble clarity compared to the HE-6. If after an extended audition in my home I find this to be the case, I will definitely be purchasing them as those are the areas I wanted a hp that performed better in.

I hope I'm not being too annoying asking this, but did you ever post your impressions between the SR-009, SR-007, HD 800, and HE-6? If not, doing so here and adding the HE-1000 to the mix would really help me out.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #2,374 of 14,798

Nonsense. My original SR009s went bad. My SR007s went bad. The issues with SR009 continued on even after a year. A friend had his SR009 go back and it took them months to "diagnose" and fix the problem. Evidently STAX was so cheap they couldn't even ship him a new pair and take the old one back. STAX 1 year warranty sucks. STAX support in USA, Yama blows chunks. If you are one day out of warranty, you get ****ed by Yamas. I was quoted over $2000 for driver repair for my SR007.

Rolls Royce pricing yes, but with the quality of old Jaguars and the service of Chevrolet.

heh heh! Unintentionally funny!

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #2,375 of 14,798
Music Alchemist is desperate for information :p I don't think he likes my assessment
tongue.gif
I know the feeling as I am a knowledge gatherer as well
wink_face.gif
Once you get a zillion opinions you can hopefully find a good conclusion.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #2,377 of 14,798
  As long as it's not "painfully" clear, this does sound good. The price doesn't (at least compared to my $700 used HD800 & HE-560), I'm still hoping they'd go closer to 2k while bringing the HE-6 closer to 1k, also being a more direct competitor to the HD800/LCD3/LCD-X, but that's another story 
biggrin.gif

They are not painfully clear. I found them less sibilant than the HD800s.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #2,378 of 14,798

biggrin.gif

I am specifically interested in how all those headphones compare to each other; not just the HD 800 and HE-1000.

Hope @jude gets his SR-009 in soon for a direct comparison to the HE-1000, HD 800, Abyss, etc.!

Yeah cradon would be the one to ask. I know the SR-009 sound a lot like the HD800 but with superior capabilities, at least from the reviews I've read. The HE6 and the HE1000 sounded basically the same to me with the HE1000 sounding like the big (and better) brother.
The HE6/1000 and the HD800 are two totally different beasts. It's one of those things you really gotta demo for yourself. No review can explain it truly.
Based on my knowledge and experience the HE6/1000 are on 1 side and the HD800/sr-009 are on the other. Two different beasts.
In my personal tastes and opinion, completely subjective to me. I choose the HD800 side. Simply because they are a very safe option for me, they don't give me the euphony I yearn for, but they also don't really have any technical downfalls either. The only headphones I found I may like better that sound similar to the HD800 but with a potentially euphonic sound are the LCD-XC and the MHP1000.
Cradon likes the HE6 while I don't think I would like it as much as the HD800. Even if the HE6 was more euphonic I did not feel the sound was up the the level of the HD800.
Cradon claims that issue "goes away" some how, maybe it does, not that I can imagine how.
But at the end of the day we are all mentally "tuned" differently".
The only thing I can say for sure is that the HE1000 is not some kind of massive revolution in headphone capabilities that will shake the headphone industry. For HE6 lovers, it may be though.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #2,380 of 14,798

Hype, hmm. I would say hype if no-one had heard them. But that's not the case. There are experienced listeners who have had pretty good access. 
Based on their independent impressions  - reviewers and users who are familiar and own the other HF's you mention - it would appear the he-1000's perform on a higher level. 
Of course that won't mean the Audeze phones and other TOTL phones won't still be great buys - and that many people will choose to spend less. That's a different argument.
I can't wait to compare for myself.

Well you said that the he1000 was "by all accounts" better than the other TOTLs, which is just a ridiculous and untrue statement.  The hyperbole is absurd, which is by definition hype.  If you don't believe me, read icebear's or my impressions. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #2,381 of 14,798
I think a warmer presentation naturally will sound less clear/thin relative to HD 800.  What I am keen to find out is if the HE1000 can manage delicacy and micro/macro dynamic shading better than what I experienced from my HE-6 back in the day (admittedly I was using Audeze vegan pads which kill the highs somewhat, so not sure anymore...)

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #2,382 of 14,798

Yeah, tooting his own horn with gusto!

You guys are all over me about that!
tongue.gif
. I said "i feel" meaning I feel it it is, not I know it is. This thread has been drooling over hype for months so I figured I'd give a bit of a truthful, down to earth impression on them. I leaned in to the hype and got burned. Just trying to save a few others from the fire. Not at all saying the HE1000 is a bad headphone. Just not made of angels tears sent by the heavens on a golden ark is all.
I will probably even end up buying a pair this summer. They really have a nice relaxing sound compared to the HD800.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,383 of 14,798

Yeah, tooting his own horn with gusto!

You guys are all over me about that!
tongue.gif
. I said "i feel" meaning I feel it it is, not I know it is. This thread has been drooling over hype for months so I figured I'd give a bit of a truthful, down to earth impression on them. I leaned in to the hype and got burned. Just trying to save a few others from the fire. Not at all saying the HE1000 is a bad headphone. Just not made of angels tears sent by the heavens on a golden ark is all.
I will probably even end up buying a pair this summer. They really have a nice relaxing sound compared to the HD800.

Within hours of crushing them in your review, you're now planning on buying them?

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #2,384 of 14,798

I had a short listen to the HE6 as well during my stay. It was not modded(at least to my knowledge). The HE1000 sounded to the HE6 like what the HD800 sounds to the HD650. It generally just improves on all aspects. I did not listen to the HE6 long enough to get a really good comparison on the sound signature difference, however my short impression was that the HE6 sounded like the HE1000, just worse.
That being said an unbiased comparison between the HD800 (since I have my gripes with the HD800 to begin with) and the HE1000 revealed to me that (I said all this in my review but I'll say it here anyway) the HE1000 sounded a bit hazy and a bit like you were in the audience with less realistic sound, while the HD800s were clear sounding and it sounded like I was on stage. When I closed my eyes, It sounded like I was really there. Something I could not do with the HE1000.
The HE1000 are not bad. They are about as "hazy" as an HE6, if you consider an HE6 hazy sounding. But I compared the HD800 directly to the HE1000 with about a 1-2 second transfer time between headphones and it is blatantly undeniable that the HD800 are more clear, transparent, and have more realism. It was like night and day when determining which one you could trick yourself into thinking it was real.
The HE1000 are really something you have to try for yourself. I gave the analogy that they sound like a "rustic tavern with a fire going" or "relaxing in a cozy chair in front of a fire" kind of sound. kind of soothing. The hd800s are definitely not that kind of headphone.

If I start hearing others agree with Coinmaster, then I may very well stay away.  I'm quite happy with my HD800s as it is.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #2,385 of 14,798
You guys are all over me about that! :p . I said "i feel" meaning I feel it it is, not I know it is. This thread has been drooling over hype for months so I figured I'd give a bit of a truthful, down to earth impression on them. I leaned in to the hype and got burned. Just trying to save a few others from the fire. Not at all saying the HE1000 is a bad headphone. Just not made of angels tears sent by the heavens on a golden ark is all.

i always appreciate some critical feedback & unhype.

...tho i still think dr. fang used distilled angel tears sent down from heaven on a golden ark when developing these :wink: he does have a pd in angel tears after all :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back