Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 19, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #2,341 of 14,798

I also do happen to know and will not disclose. I did not even want to make a reference to that - it's just what I said: sound quality and build quality. Ignore the asking price. What should these cost to us as consumers for what they offer? My personal answer is: much less. And yes I enjoy the sound of Audeze.

I don't even want to get started about the Abyss... They took Audeze's receipe and applied Audioquest pricing to it.

hahah soo true. abyss is ridiculously overpriced. i also greatly enjoy the audeze sound signature & own their headphones. they are quite nice. i wld just never would pay full price for them though personally.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,342 of 14,798
Do you actually know the dealer prices or is that another opinion stated as fact?

i know the dealer prices, but will not disclose out of respect for audeze.

lol, feel free to believe that the inevitable release of the new version of the he-6 is just wild speculation. if you have been following the threads closely, you will understand.

Not sure why you reference a new version of the he-6 on a comment about Audeze pricing. But since you bring it up, I've stated since the beginning of this thread that I thought the HE-1000s would be $3000 and don't doubt there will be other models. But that my opinion, not something I'm claiming to know as a confirmed fact by HFM.

I've also seen Audeze dealer pricing and their markup to MSRP is lower than most hifi gear. Far lower than some. Perhaps things have changed drastically in the last 6 months with Audeze dealer pricing, but I doubt it.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,343 of 14,798
hahah soo true. abyss is ridiculously overpriced. i also greatly enjoy the audeze sound signature & own their headphones. they are quite nice. i wld just never would pay full price for them though personally.

Audeze have 3-years-warranty so, at least that's good! But for those countries with dealers only giving 1-year-warranty for Audeze products it sucks just a little more. Because you have to pay import tax back in for the eventual replacement headphone.

The one thing that i really dislike from Audeze LCD design is that your fingers can get inside the spacing between the yokes and the earcups.

Mar 19, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #2,344 of 14,798
Not sure why you reference a new version of the he-6 on a comment about Audeze pricing. But since you bring it up, I've stated since the beginning of this thread that I thought the HE-1000s would be $3000 and don't doubt there will be other models. But that my opinion, not something I'm claiming to know as a confirmed fact by HFM.

I've also seen Audeze dealer pricing and their markup to MSRP is lower than most hifi gear. Far lower than some. Perhaps things have changed drastically in the last 6 months with Audeze dealer pricing, but I doubt it.

only brought it up b/c it appeared that your reference of "is this another opinion stated as fact" was directed at my previous statement abt a future he-6 upgrade. if not, then nevermind :) i also never claimed that a new he-6 release was confirmed by HFM. simply stated that it is the obvious logical next step for HFM & there is more than enough information on the threads that are highly suggestive of it.

you are right, there are a lot of manufacturer's that have extremely high markups. it is the nature of the industry.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #2,345 of 14,798
Some may be wondering how all this links back to the HE1K thread. Well it does. I don't think for a second the Audeze are worth such an asking price premium over the HD800s or the HE-6s for the matter. I have not heard the HE1K, so I will fully reserve my assessment on that. I also don't have a problem with paying 3k$ per se. But will these headphones sound so much better than what the HD800s offer and comparatively so in build quality, so to be warranting the asking price? That's the question I have...

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #2,346 of 14,798
  ...But will these headphones sound so much better than what the HD800s offer and comparatively so in build quality, so to be warranting the asking price? That's the question I have...

Or the modded HE6. In some ways the biggest competitor to the HE1000 is the modded HE6 - it has an enthusiastic user base who will take some convincing that the HE1000 is a big enough leap in SQ to justify the 3K asking price.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #2,347 of 14,798
  I've been reading the updates to this thread and have been quite impressed by what I have heard so far about the newest version of the headphone. The fact that it's easy to drive makes it even more appealing. To those who read coinmaster's comparison (linked above) and have heard both the HD 800 and HE-1000: it would be especially helpful to many of us if you could share your own impressions. Do you agree that both are on the same level and are merely different? Or does one sound clearly better to you? The more details you can provide, the better.

My impressions from the Jan. NYC meeting listening to the prototype:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/855#post_11236206

I think these are pretty much in line with coinmaster's description of the HD800 vs HE1000 in his direct comparision of the "prototype MkII" or whatever version ( Jude : closer to production...) was shown at Stero Exchange today. Of course we used different words but at the bottom line the impressions are not too far off.

So glad I'm not alone anymore 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #2,348 of 14,798

Audeze have 3-years-warranty so, at least that's good! But for those countries with dealers only giving 1-year-warranty for Audeze products it sucks just a little more. Because you have to pay import tax back in for the eventual replacement headphone.

The one thing that i really dislike from Audeze LCD design is that your fingers can get inside the spacing between the yokes and the earcups.

That's a new complaint or at least one I hadn't heard before.

Maybe we should return this to the thread topic: The 5 stages of the HE-1000 thread

Denial: They are going to be affordable, maybe $1500
Anger: They're $3000
Bargaining: Maybe the price will drop if anger is expressed
Depression: They sound really good and the price isn't changing
Acceptance: There are other very good headphones available for less that are close to as good and may be preferred by some.

I feel like the thread is currently wavering between steps 2&3 :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,349 of 14,798

only brought it up b/c it appeared that your reference of "is this another opinion stated as fact" was directed at my previous statement abt a future he-6 upgrade. if not, then nevermind :) i also never claimed that a new he-6 release was confirmed by HFM. simply stated that it is the obvious logical next step for HFM & there is more than enough information on the threads that are highly suggestive of it.

you are right, there are a lot of manufacturer's that have extremely high markups. it is the nature of the industry.

If your point is that most hifi gear has high markups, you won't get an argument here. Particularly with the move to on line sales eliminating the brick and mortar costs of most dealers.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,350 of 14,798
  Some may be wondering how all this links back to the HE1K thread. Well it does. I don't think for a second the Audeze are worth such an asking price premium over the HD800s or the HE-6s for the matter. I have not heard the HE1K, so I will fully reserve my assessment on that. I also don't have a problem with paying 3k$ per se. But will these headphones sound so much better than what the HD800s offer and comparatively so in build quality, so to be warranting the asking price? That's the question I have...

In case you haven't read it already, here is a thread comparing the HD 800 and HE-1000:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/759662/hd800-vs-he1000-mhp1000-impressions-suprises-all-around

My impressions from the Jan. NYC meeting listening to the prototype:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/748334/hifiman-he1000-planar-dynamic-flagship/855#post_11236206

I think these are pretty much in line with coinmaster's description of the HD800 vs HE1000 in his direct comparision of the "prototype MkII" or whatever version ( Jude : closer to production...) was shown at Stero Exchange today. Of course we used different words but at the bottom line the impressions are not too far off.

So glad I'm not alone anymore 
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks! Since I want accuracy above all, I guess I'll cross the HE-1000 off my wish list until perhaps when I can afford to collect lots of summit-fi headphones.

Have you heard any electrostatic headphones, by the way? (Can't remember.) Someone I know likes the STAX SR-207 more than the HD 800, Abyss, and even SR-009, and since it's so much more affordable, I'm thinking I'll get it, but may also get the HD 800.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,351 of 14,798
Probably best not to call your own review "a must read". That's usually something left to others.

I was only saying that because the results are not quite what people are expecting, and I feel I am doing people a favor by being brutally honest about these headphones. Hence why I said "I feel".

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #2,352 of 14,798

I agree. have same question as well. don't mind paying $3k either for the best, but wld like to get some first-hand side-by-side comparisons to see if they will be worth it for me. i was thinking yes, but it has been a while since i've auditioned them & there is never anything better than direct comparisons. hopefully after canjam we will have more feedback! :)

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #2,353 of 14,798

Maybe we should return this to the thread topic: The 5 stages of the HE-1000 thread

Acceptance: There are other very good headphones available for less that are close to as good and may be preferred by some.
I feel like the thread is currently wavering between steps 2&3
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 tho i think we are at set 5 already haha

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #2,354 of 14,798
Probably best not to call your own review "a must read". That's usually something left to others.

I was only saying that because the results are not quite what people are expecting, and I feel I am doing people a favor by being brutally honest about these headphones. Hence why I said "I feel".

Nothing wrong with having an opinion. I want to listen to them before deciding myself.

I do know two people who have compared the HD800s directly to the HE-1000 and both preferred the HE-1000 by a good margin. One of the two is an HD800 die hard.

It's probably more of a personal preference decision at that level. I prefer the LCD3 to the HD800 but wouldn't argue with someone who sees that comparison differently.

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #2,355 of 14,798

I feel like the thread is currently wavering between steps 2&3
smily_headphones1.gif

+1 tho i think we are at set 5 already haha

You are, but not everyone is moving that fast. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back