Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 24, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #9,948 of 14,685
If I had to choose one I’d choose the HEK over utopia every time because day to day listening I much prefer the way the music hits my ears and brain. However if I could afford it I would absolutely own both.

I was debating this as well. If only money was no object.

There is something so smooth and pleasing about the HEKs. Quite magical. The Utopias are more engaging and clear. They do really compliment each other well in my opinion. But I have a new pair of HEKs... If I start listening to them, they will not be new anymore and obviously cant be sold as such :wink:

May 25, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #9,949 of 14,685
I also have Utopia and HEK v2. I really enjoy how laid back the HEK sounds, soundstage is better than Utopia for sure, more holographic and airy. It does lack a bit of resolution in comparison but still very musical and enjoyable to listen to.

May 27, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #9,950 of 14,685
For those who are debating whether to buy the HeK v2, Adorama currently has them on sale for $2100. Full US warranty of course. Adorama link.

May 27, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #9,951 of 14,685
For those who are debating whether to buy the HeK v2, Adorama currently has them on sale for $2100. Full US warranty of course. Adorama link.

That's very tempting. Is there anything better in the $2K or less range? I'm currently using Focal Elear and HD800S headphones (along with various less expensive options) but $2100 seems to be a reasonable price for a TOTL headphone, especially considering I'm never going to pay $4K for the Utopia.

May 27, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #9,952 of 14,685
That's very tempting. Is there anything better in the $2K or less range? I'm currently using Focal Elear and HD800S headphones (along with various less expensive options) but $2100 seems to be a reasonable price for a TOTL headphone, especially considering I'm never going to pay $4K for the Utopia.

HeK is one of those TOTL cans you can't go wrong with. I tried Utopia and much preferred the HeK. Most people who owned Utopia at one point either love them or hate them. I have since upgraded to Susvara. My personal opinion is that in the planar and dynamic world, HeK is one of the best, especially at this price with full 3 year US warranty. It is a little hard to drive so amp is important.

May 27, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #9,953 of 14,685
HeK is one of those TOTL cans you can't go wrong with. I tried Utopia and much preferred the HeK. Most people who owned Utopia at one point either love them or hate them. I have since upgraded to Susvara. My personal opinion is that in the planar and dynamic world, HeK is one of the best, especially at this price with full 3 year US warranty. It is a little hard to drive so amp is important.

The crazy thing about headphone reviews is people are all over the place in ranking different models. Some say the Audeze LCD models are better (even LCD-2 or LCD-3) and some say MrSpeaker Ether Flow or Aeon Flow are better. Though of course, many people say the HEK V2 are the best. I've never owned a pair of planar magnetic headphones, so that's one appeal of this family of headphones.

I don't think I'd be willing to spend $4k for the Utopia or $6k for the Susvara in the near future. So maybe the HEK V2 are the best option.

For amps & DAC I'm currently using a stack of Bimby, Jotunheim, and Lyr 3 offering two high-powered options for the HEK V2. And for portable use, I have a Mojo - though I doubt I'd use the HEK V2 portably.

May 27, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #9,954 of 14,685
The escalation of GAS in this hobby is funny. I started in this hobby as a teenager in the 80s with a pair of Stax SR-30 headphones and some hand-me-down Adcom gear from a great uncle; at the time, I was split between listening through headphones or speakers. The speakers won out for many years, though in my 30s I bought a pair of HD580's - and they held me over for many years and still see near as much action as any headphone I own today. Then I experimented in the mid-fi area of headphones (HD50/600/650, DT880, Amiron, etc) for while until I thought Focal Elear would be my end-game. Then I sprung for the HD800S mainly due to being such a fan of Sennheiser (owning the HD-580/600/650 and various other cans). But now I'm considering the next tier, with the HEK V2 @ $3K - though on sale for about 1/3 off.

May 27, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #9,956 of 14,685
I don't think I'd be willing to spend $4k for the Utopia or $6k for the Susvara in the near future. So maybe the HEK V2 are the best option.

Utopia can be found for low $2K and Susvara for low $4K. Never pay MSRP for high end audio.. there is plenty of activity on the used market if you keep an eye out.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #9,957 of 14,685

Stax SR-007A can be found for under $2k and is more transparent than any non-electrostat, with better treble than any non-electrostat. Though I would say the KGSSHV is the minimum amp for it, these days you can get a "cheap" version of the KGSSHV for $2,500 from mjolnir-audio (more affordable but still good).

The Utopia is priced well over double what it's worth. The HE1000/HE1000v2 is much better... a dynamic headphone just can't compete with that transparency nor the planar bass, and the HE1000 also happens to be a superb all-around headphone. Personally I think dynamic headphones are only good for entry level. For anything serious, upgraded technology is needed.

May 28, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #9,958 of 14,685
Hek is definitely one of those headphones where the opinions are mixed. I have a v2 pair and I think it's more system dependent to get the best sound out of it. If you have the Hek v2 or better then it will come down to system matching and personal preference. I can definitely say that it's a tier above LCD-3 and anything lower though.

May 28, 2018 at 12:13 AM Post #9,959 of 14,685
Hek is definitely one of those headphones where the opinions are mixed. I have a v2 pair and I think it's more system dependent to get the best sound out of it. If you have the Hek v2 or better then it will come down to system matching and personal preference. I can definitely say that it's a tier above LCD-3 and anything lower though.

Is it mixed? I tend to see the same impressions for it, especially when it's used with a good amp.

May 28, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #9,960 of 14,685
Utopia can be found for low $2K and Susvara for low $4K. Never pay MSRP for high end audio.. there is plenty of activity on the used market if you keep an eye out.

I hear ya. I almost never pay MSRP. I generally will only buy something if I can a 20% discount or more, thus the 30% discount on the HEK V2 is attractive. Maybe you can get an even greater discount for used product, but I find it worth paying extra for a new product with a warranty. I doubt it's easy (or possible?) finding a new pair of Utopia for $2K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back