Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #9,916 of 14,653
I have a ported HEKv2 and HD800S
That is great whether you did same or similar mod as I posted,
It would be great to post some observations of the ported HEKV2.
I just posted thread here, along with two other V1 mod threads in my signature.

I feel it worthy for people to finally know these mods to elevate their units.

Apr 3, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #9,917 of 14,653
That is great whether you did same or similar mod as I posted,
It would be great to post some observations of the ported HEKV2.
I just posted thread here, along with two other V1 mod threads in my signature.

I feel it worthy for people to finally know these mods to elevate their units.

Looks like you missed Tony's and my earlier posts on this topic (on the more recent HEK Impressions thread, but looks like the Moderators have merged that recently into this resurrected old thread - a good thing). I tried to keep the mod as close to your recommendations as possible. Tony went for a simpler version. Both of us were happy with the results.

My porting journey was complicated by my glasses in these 3 posts
https://www.head-fi.org/posts/13913526/

https://www.head-fi.org/posts/13918087/

https://www.head-fi.org/posts/13941804/

Since then, I've added a 2nd port to replicate my glasses mod and, bingo, the best result yet for me. I'll post a photo later.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #9,918 of 14,653
Since then, I've added a 2nd port to replicate my glasses mod and, bingo, the best result yet for me. I'll post a photo later
That sounds great.
Please also post in thread I responded there.
:)

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #9,920 of 14,653
Wow! I upgraded my DAC to the KTE Holo Spring L3 and the HE1000v2s are much more engaging now. They really need accompanying quality audio gear to sound their best.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #9,922 of 14,653
What were you using previously, mate?

I was using the LKS Audio MH-DA004 DAC until I got the KTE L3. While my old DAC was pretty good and punched well above its weight, the Spring is better (and should be, at 2X the price) and sounds a lot different (Delta Sigma vs R2R) than the former contender.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #9,923 of 14,653
Wow! I upgraded my DAC to the KTE Holo Spring L3 and the HE1000v2s are much more engaging now. They really need accompanying quality audio gear to sound their best.
The Holo Spring is on my radar to compare to my yggy.
I don't see much else worthy in that price range.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #9,924 of 14,653

Haven't heard the Yggy yet, but this coming Saturday, I'm going to an audio meet where they will have two Yggys with v1 and v2 analogue stages respectively.
I'll let you know what I think.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #9,925 of 14,653
Have a good friend who uses a Yggy with a major league speaker-based High End audio system ($20k Audiolab speakers, Krell amp, etc...).
Sounds beautiful, me want...

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #9,926 of 14,653
I have been comparing the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp, which they developed for their HE-6 headphones, to my newly purchased Schiit Mjolnir, each driving the HE1000 v.1 headphone in balanced configuration, using the stock balanced cable that HiFIMAN includes with the HE1000. The DAC has been the Schiit Gungir Multibit, and this is run either from Lightening Connector digital output via CCA USB converter, or from the FiiO X5ii via coax.

The EF-6 has more transparency, better layering of separate instruments, and clearer background instrumentals than the Schiit Mjolnir, although the difference is small enough that if I were not listening to the two amps in immediate sequence, I doubt that I would be able to tell a difference.

I had the bias of hoping that the Mjolnir would sound at least as good as the EF-6 or better, so that I could sell the EF-6 and free up some space on my listening setup. Now I am stuck with either keeping both or letting the Mjolnir go. Darn!

Sell the MJ. Although they sound good, mine paled in comparison to my Burson CV2 amp. Burson was much more engaging and toe tapping. Sold the MJ immediately after that week of comparison. I concluded that the MJ was cerebral while the Burson was Visceral.

Apr 6, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #9,927 of 14,653
I have been comparing the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp
Yep I have to agree , I had zero expectations being that it was a hifiman amp,
Yet it turned out to be a shockingly good amp for the Susvara and Phi...
Much more so on the Phi .

The amp presents a powerful/musical/detailed & engaging sound for a solid state amp.
Very good amp for a planar,
But I am a tube guy so
personally not for me.
Also I would fully expect the Burson CV2 to be better .

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #9,928 of 14,653

Heard the Yggy with both analogue versions 1 and 2 at a head-fi meet in DC this weekend. Unfortunately, it was not under ideal conditions. From what I heard, the Yggy sounded more digital than the Holo -- a little edgy at times. But again, it wasn't a fair comparison because the amp (Cavalli Liquid Gold) and the source (one of the NAD C-Level CD players) were unfamiliar to me and the room was loud.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #9,929 of 14,653
Heard the Yggy with both analogue versions 1 and 2 at a head-fi meet in DC this weekend. Unfortunately, it was not under ideal conditions. From what I heard, the Yggy sounded more digital than the Holo -- a little edgy at times. But again, it isn't a fair comparison because the source was unfamiliar to me (one of the NAD C-level CD players) and the room was loud.

Were you able to discern anything between the versions 1 & 2 at the meet?

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #9,930 of 14,653
Were you able to discern anything between the versions 1 & 2 at the meet?

Honestly, even after toggling back and forth between them, I couldn't tell the difference with that particular setup. I would imagine that if I had a quiet room and more time to compare them, I'd hear a difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back