Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 30, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #9,106 of 14,627

Agreed. The fit on my small head is not great and I can see the leather support strap not lasting all that long. Kinda like the HE6 - you end up messing about with the headband to the fit & comfort you like. Probably shouldn't have to do that with a 3K headphone, but it is what it is. I can deal with that - as long as the drivers deliver the SQ. My initial impression is that the HEKv2 does deliver the SQ, so I will mess about with the headband to make it work for me.

I'm going to try fitting a seat belt protector directly on the metal frame. That should address my fit problem, and make the leather support strap pretty much irrelevant, so when it fails (and I think it will) I won't care. Ugly solution, but effective.

My head is big so that I had to removed the leather headband and rolled a piece of tissue up around the metal frame.
It feels much released for my head now
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #9,108 of 14,627
I'm on the other extreme, always wished my v1 had more notches to adjust for my small head.

Mar 30, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #9,109 of 14,627

Got the HEKv2 on my head right now. Initial impression is good. Build quality is decent - not the same level as the Utopia, but then I never expected that it would be.

Ear cups are huge, which I like because my ears are quite large. My head is small (weird combination, I know) so I kinda wish that the headband had another click or two for smaller heads, but it fits OK.

Sound is clean, detailed, dynamic. Sound stage is noticeably bigger than the Utopia. Bass is present and seems to be correct.

Biggest difference is immediately noticeable and the main reason for my sideways move from Utopia to HEKv2 - that forward edgy character of the Utopia is just not there with the HEKv2. I can see myself having lengthy sessions with this headphone and I just couldn't do that with the Utopia without serious fatigue kicking in.

Will report some more on the 3 way testing (HE6 / HEKv2 / Utopia) after this weekend.

how do you find the hekv2 compares to your he6?

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #9,110 of 14,627
  how do you find the hekv2 compares to your he6?

Haven't done any A/B testing yet - will do that this weekend.

Immediate impression is that the HEKv2 is more detailed, better clarity, bigger sound stage, cleaner/smoother treble - overall a more engaging listen. A significantly better headphone IMHO.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #9,114 of 14,627
 I've been off Head-Fi, the site and literally, for nearly 6 months.

Should have my system set up this weekend...it's been a complete absence from music listening, including my two channel system. 

The reason for the post is to ask a question I've asked before...should I keep my V1s or utilize the upgrade program for the V2s since fellow Head-Fi'ers have likely had significant time to compare, contrast and form their opinions regarding both versions? When I first asked, the V2 had not been out that long and I'm guessing there are  many more V2 users out there now.

It's good to see that HiFiMan continues to offer the upgrade program...figured I had missed out.

I have not listened to my Utopias over the same period, but they were the go-to headphones for me...and I don't see that changing.

The cost to upgrade is likely around $700 or slightly higher for me (estimating $50 to ship and insure).

I could invest that, or less, in a cable upgrade and do some of the basic recommended mods to bring more out of the V1s.

Given that the market for the V1s is not as robust as it used to be, I'm leaning against selling my V1s.

Having made the above statement, I do not necessarily need a second pair of over-ear open-headphones. However, it is nice to have an extra pair on hand while listening with another person; for changing things up a bit; for comparison purposes; and for TV/movie audio when I need to keep things quiet because of the family.

Realize that only I can sort this out, but your thoughts and feedback will certainly be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #9,115 of 14,627
Received my HEK v2, I think it's better than the v1 which I sold about 8 months ago, but I still detect some harshness on the upper register in female vocal.  Seems like some sort of distortion, can't really pinpoint it out, but it's not pleasant for me, especially at elevated volume level.  It's really is unfortunate, I really like it other wise, bass is full and substantial, treble extends nicely, mid-rage a tad recessed compared to Utopia (probably because of the bass), but smooth and pleasant other wise.  This is only a day in, hopefully some break-in will help, but I highly doubt it though, as it seems to exhibit the same traits as the v1, albeit a tad less in term of treble harshness if memory serves me right.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #9,116 of 14,627
  Received my HEK v2, I think it's better than the v1 which I sold about 8 months ago, but I still detect some harshness on the upper register in female vocal.  Seems like some sort of distortion, can't really pinpoint it out, but it's not pleasant for me, especially at elevated volume level.  It's really is unfortunate, I really like it other wise, bass is full and substantial, treble extends nicely, mid-rage a tad recessed compared to Utopia (probably because of the bass), but smooth and pleasant other wise.  This is only a day in, hopefully some break-in will help, but I highly doubt it though, as it seems to exhibit the same traits as the v1, albeit a tad less in term of treble harshness if memory serves me right.

Try tape mod! It will help a lot if you really care about that harshness. HE1000 V2 eliminates most of the harshness V1 did, but still leave a little ones in a lower frequency than V1 did. I still implement tape mod on V2 to eliminate the very last harshness.

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #9,118 of 14,627
  Try tape mod! It will help a lot if you really care about that harshness. HE1000 V2 eliminates most of the harshness V1 did, but still leave a little ones in a lower frequency than V1 did. I still implement tape mod on V2 to eliminate the very last harshness.

Hmm.. seems easy enough, but not sure if it's completely undoable, considering the glue.  maybe if I can just cut some felt in the oval shape and fit it in the crevices above the green plastic adapter, similar to what's already there below the adapter.. why oh why can't they go the last millimeter and make this perfect...

Apr 1, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #9,119 of 14,627

I noticed a similar dislike. I ended up running a test sound sweep and identifying a peak about 9-10Khz that was irritating to me. Eq'd it out (-2db) and all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back