Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 25, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #9,091 of 14,676
I think you'll like the HEK Tony, it's funny because I also pull the triggered on one.  I used to own HEK v1 and found the treble to be spiky and that bothered me.  Hoping v2 will fix that.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #9,093 of 14,676
  one other general question - is the upcoming Susvara supposed to be better than the HE1000v2?  at least in terms of the HiFiMAN product lineup?

anyone?

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #9,094 of 14,676
can i ask out of all hifiman headphones which has the smoothest sound and biggest bass punch and quality that suits electronic music

Mar 27, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #9,097 of 14,676

The Fostex TH900 is right up in your field dude.

nah i heard the th900 the mids are thin and can be piercing highs

also heard denon 7100, th00xx purple heart and never liked mids on those, and it seems since th900 and denon are in a way related they all share the mids which i do not like, as if they are artificial and thin

Mar 28, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #9,098 of 14,676
Well, i've now used the Lavricables Master Silver, balanced cable for the HE1000 v1, for over 150 hours and am satisfied that it is worthwhile improvement over the stock cable.
Music is livelier and more enjoyable. Instruments have better attack and the sound is more neutral, allowing differences in recordings and details to be effortlessly heard. The stock HEK is already a superb headphone so the replacement cable is only a refinement. However, at around £300 for a 2 meter pure silver cable I consider the Lavricable to be relatively good value and can recommend it ( along with the " foam Mod " ) to all HEK v1 users.   

Mar 28, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #9,099 of 14,676
Got my HE1000v2 in the boot/trunk of my car - picked it up from the airport freight people this morning. This evening I start a 24/7 burn in regime for the new can.

I have another week with my Utopia before the buyer can make payment and I need to ship it - so in a week I can run a 3 way comparison between HE1000v2 / Utopia / Modded HE6. Should be fun.

Mar 28, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #9,100 of 14,676
  Got my HE1000v2 in the boot/trunk of my car - picked it up from the airport freight people this morning. This evening I start a 24/7 burn in regime for the new can.

I have another week with my Utopia before the buyer can make payment and I need to ship it - so in a week I can run a 3 way comparison between HE1000v2 / Utopia / Modded HE6. Should be fun.

I haven't noticed much change in my HEKv2's after burn in.. having said that, I did get a new amp too so there's that..

I'm really curious to hear your HEK/Utopia comparisons as I'm considering getting a pair.. 

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #9,101 of 14,676
  I haven't noticed much change in my HEKv2's after burn in.. having said that, I did get a new amp too so there's that..

I'm really curious to hear your HEK/Utopia comparisons as I'm considering getting a pair.. 

Got the HEKv2 on my head right now. Initial impression is good. Build quality is decent - not the same level as the Utopia, but then I never expected that it would be.

Ear cups are huge, which I like because my ears are quite large. My head is small (weird combination, I know) so I kinda wish that the headband had another click or two for smaller heads, but it fits OK.

Sound is clean, detailed, dynamic. Sound stage is noticeably bigger than the Utopia. Bass is present and seems to be correct.

Biggest difference is immediately noticeable and the main reason for my sideways move from Utopia to HEKv2 - that forward edgy character of the Utopia is just not there with the HEKv2. I can see myself having lengthy sessions with this headphone and I just couldn't do that with the Utopia without serious fatigue kicking in.

Will report some more on the 3 way testing (HE6 / HEKv2 / Utopia) after this weekend.

Mar 29, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #9,102 of 14,676

Got the HEKv2 on my head right now. Initial impression is good. Build quality is decent - not the same level as the Utopia, but then I never expected that it would be.

I've sent mine back to have the entire headband replaced, HiFiMANs headbands are just dire. They really need to look into a new, more durable design.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #9,103 of 14,676
I got my upgrade! Too sad I can't say how much it is better than v1, because I haven't used the V1 for a long time before I sent it out for the upgrade. So far I am impressed! Male vocal and Jazz are excellent! Female vocal a bit laid back, not very "in front"...   I suspect the Focal Utopia would fill those gaps very well, but as far as overall quality is concerned, HE1000v2 is the superior headphone IMO, so far. Too many toys, too little head-time! 

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #9,104 of 14,676
  I got my upgrade! Too sad I can't say how much it is better than v1, because I haven't used the V1 for a long time before I sent it out for the upgrade. So far I am impressed! Male vocal and Jazz are excellent! Female vocal a bit laid back, not very "in front"...   I suspect the Focal Utopia would fill those gaps very well, but as far as overall quality is concerned, HE1000v2 is the superior headphone IMO, so far. Too many toys, too little head-time! 

u should list ur gear in your profile, and i am happy to some load off you for good gears if offered for good price :)

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #9,105 of 14,676

I've sent mine back to have the entire headband replaced, HiFiMANs headbands are just dire. They really need to look into a new, more durable design.

Agreed. The fit on my small head is not great and I can see the leather support strap not lasting all that long. Kinda like the HE6 - you end up messing about with the headband to the fit & comfort you like. Probably shouldn't have to do that with a 3K headphone, but it is what it is. I can deal with that - as long as the drivers deliver the SQ. My initial impression is that the HEKv2 does deliver the SQ, so I will mess about with the headband to make it work for me.

I'm going to try fitting a seat belt protector directly on the metal frame. That should address my fit problem, and make the leather support strap pretty much irrelevant, so when it fails (and I think it will) I won't care. Ugly solution, but effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back