Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 17, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #796 of 14,653

Wow I had no idea Orpheus cost that much, so the He1000 is priced about right, for the segment of the audiophile community HIFIMAN wants to sell too.

I honestly nearly died when I first saw the Orpheus price, plus it actually sells second user for even more today as collectors buy them.

But I've also spoke with one member via pm who actually heard the Orpheus at a audio meeting along with other Sennheiser models and actually preferred the sound of the HD800 over the Orpheus so I guess price does not determine better personal subjective quality.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #797 of 14,653
If it's a statement model Fang may as well price it at $6k and stake his claim.

Don't you dare to give him ideas like that:rolleyes:

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #798 of 14,653

That was the Sennheiser statement model twenty years ago and "Orpheus" refers to the entire system.  The headphone, the HE90, and the amplifier, the HEV90.  You can't throw around the $15k figure because that would encompass the entire system.  We have been discussing the price of the HE1000 here so you can't compare the price of the Orpheus system, including amplifier, to the price of a headphone alone.  The current Sennheiser statement model is the HD800.

FWIW I purchased a new HE90 when Jan Meier talked Sennheiser in to doing that last special production run years ago.  IIRC it cost me around $5k.  Nowhere close to $15k.

BS semantics.If Hifiman prices the HE1000 at a price
you don't like, don't buy it.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #799 of 14,653
Actually, you can't even buy Sennheisers statement model the Orpheus anymore and it cost way more expensive than the "Abyss" etc (something like over $15k when Sennheiser first released it as years ago).

$16K, early 90s price, a dedicated HEV 90  tube amp included. So the HE1K-EF1K pair will not even be close to that price.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #800 of 14,653
  That said, as soon as going into 1k+ range, speakers get far better and far more competitive. I must remind all of you guys that at 1.5K USD mark, you can buy KEF LS50, which is one of better sounding bookshelf speakers that can be used as near-field setup.

X2.  I bought a used pair of Totem Forest speakers for $1500 (retail price is $3995) and I have still not heard a pair of headphones that can give me the same enjoyment as my speakers.  (And yes I have heard the Stax 009, the HD800, the LCD-3 and the HE-6.)

Why follow along the path that is the disease of the ridiculously greedy Abyss pricing strategy?  Just because?

Strange.  I don't see Sennheiser asking $6k+ for their statement model.  Hell they don't even ask $2k+.

People should really stop supporting companies that want to gouge you just because they can.

I'm 99.9% sure that they would make more money by selling the HE-1000 $1500.

$2500/$3000 will be a show stopper for a lot of peoples here and even if the sound is 'out of this world', I predict that it's not going to be a commercial success.

I'm pretty sure that they could triple their sales with a competitive pricing...

QTYPriceTotal
3000$1,500.00$4,500,000.00
1000$2,500.00$2,500,000.00

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #801 of 14,653
The thing about the $1500 price point is that Hifiman is already very clear what they can get for it (HE6 type sales).

The $2000 price point and up would be virgin territory for them. As a marketeer I understand the need for a halo product that tests the limit of the market (especially if you think your consumers are just gonna buy whatever you put in front of them).

As a consumer.. Nah. That's too rich for my blood.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #802 of 14,653

Semantics?  Not even sure what you're on about there.  With regards to your comment on the previous page about "Plenty" of people finding the Abyss worth it, try more like a handful.  There's no way they have sold more than 3000 units of that ridiculous looking contraption at the absurd asking price.

Actually I don't even know what's more ridiculous.  The Abyss design and asking price or you actually encouraging Fang to increase the price of the HE1000 to $6k on the previous page.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #803 of 14,653

It's a factual statement, no BS.  But obviously, if someone doesn't like the price they shouldn't buy it.  

And the reasoning that goes 'oh, if they sold the xxx at 3x kUSD then for sure the HE-1000 at x kUSD will be totally worth it' is so flawed I wouldn't even know where to begin.  But it's a fun thread to follow while listening to some music.  Rock on, guys, I'm going out for a 
beerchug.gif

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #805 of 14,653

Semantics?  Not even sure what you're on about there.  With regards to your comment on the previous page about "Plenty" of people finding the Abyss worth it, try more like a handful.  There's no way they have sold more than 3000 units of that ridiculous looking contraption at the absurd asking price.

Actually I don't even know what's more ridiculous.  The Abyss design and asking price or you actually encouraging Fang to increase the price of the HE1000 to $6k on the previous page.

You cherry picking your side of the argument. Orpheus can refer to just the HE90 or Orpheus system including the amp.
Simply look at $15k, $5k, or whatever other cherry picked price you choose and account for inflation.

I'm glad you know how many Abyss units have been sold.

I did not encourage Fang to increase the price. It was a cheeky comment. Per price/performance, where the Abyss is priced and the
steady direction this broken industry is headed.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #807 of 14,653
Based on what I've read many people seem to prefer LCD-3 over Abyss, so price definitely isn't everything. I might consider HEK at 2,5k if it really is the best thing ever, but if it's more expensive I'll wait and see how LCD-Z turns out to be.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #808 of 14,653
  You cherry picking your side of the argument. Orpheus can refer to just the HE90 or Orpheus system including the amp.
Simply look at $15k, $5k, or whatever other cherry picked price you choose and account for inflation.

I'm glad you know how many Abyss units have been sold.

I did not encourage Fang to increase the price. It was a cheeky comment. Per price/performance, where the Abyss is priced and the
steady direction this broken industry is headed.

No technically it can't.  Orpheus refers the entire system.

What are you on now about cherry picking a price?  I think I full explained that I purchased a new unit in the last production run.  Last I checked that's called first hand experience.

I saw your "BS semantics" post before you edited it.  If anyone here is cherry picking price for the sake of argument it's you.  I saw the $9k figure you mentioned as the current market price of the HE90.  How does the current market value of a used headphone have any reference in this discussion?  We are discussing the new price of a headphone, not one that has been OOP for years and in very limited supply.  I think you realized how much you contradicted yourself with the semantics argument, hence why you so quickly edited that part of your post out.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #809 of 14,653
If I have to ask the price, I can't afford it. :D
i always ask the price..thats how i got my custom (not really budget) Blue Circle Audio PaG amp and my Code-X headphone in a period of 2 months time...so yeah i could afford them..but still wanted to know the price in advance..ALWAYS..

people who dont do that have to much money to spend and just spend the money BECAUSE they have to much of it..many times its not even about how it sounds or drives (limited editions cars) or whatever..its the drive to own something others dont that makes them pay huge sums of money even before knowing the price...i know one of those...bought a turntable that looked almost alien and was almost to heavy to carry and i almost fainted when i heard the price for that single piece of equipment..AND he only has a HANDFUL of Lp's... He just bought it because he could...and thats probably also most of the people who bought the abbys..i dont know if mr. FANG wants to be put in same market as those...but i am not mr. Fang..its also possible he is just messing with us and this is all a smokescreen..and that he has a almost ready to produce successor of the he6 ready..with him u never know...he is always in for surprises :p

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #810 of 14,653

No technically it can't.  Orpheus refers the entire system.

What are you on now about cherry picking a price?  I think I full explained that I purchased a new unit in the last production run.  Last I checked that's called first hand experience.

I saw your "BS semantics" post before you edited it.  If anyone here is cherry picking price for the sake of argument it's you.  I saw the $9k figure you mentioned as the current market price of the HE90.  How does the current market value of a used headphone have any reference in this discussion?  We are discussing the new price of a headphone, not one that has been OOP for years and in very limited supply.  I think you realized how much you contradicted yourself with the semantics argument, hence why you so quickly edited that part of your post out.

You paid $5k for an HE90 during Jan's special production run. When was that? And accounting for inflation how much would that be today?

Have you seen the prices for the Orpheus now? That is OOP. We were talking about the $15k for the Orpheus when it released.
That's much, much more than what the HE1000/EF would ever cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back