Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 17, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #782 of 14,676
Interesting that 2 years ago 1000 USD seemed to be the psychological limit what $2000 is today. In another 2 years it may be 3000. Sound quality rises indeed, but prices do even more. I think they will list the HE1000 for $2990 and in a year or two we can buy it around $2K street price. I only believe, slightly, in 2nd hand market prices.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #784 of 14,676

Same.  The idea of a $5k version, just so it can have a cheesy little LE # on it somewhere, makes me chuckle.

For $5k I'm going shopping for speakers.

Speakers are something else entirely....even with 30k you can easily end up with a subpar setup.  Not to mention that they don't pair too well with early dawn listening habits, city centre living, litigious neighbours and a wife who doesn't share one's taste in music.  None of the problems mentioned can be cheaply remedied :wink:

But it also gives real bass and real soundstage, something that headphones cannot simulate. Not to mention being able to play music to several people is double edge-sword. Like you say, your SO may not like it, or he/she may like to hear with you. Not to mention, pretty much all of recorded music is meant to be played with stereo speaker setup. 

That said, as soon as going into 1k+ range, speakers get far better and far more competitive. I must remind all of you guys that at 1.5K USD mark, you can buy KEF LS50, which is one of better sounding bookshelf speakers that can be used as near-field setup.

I wish Uncle Erik was still active these days.... he could gave some sentences about these expensive headphones. We lost too many good people after Huddler took over this site.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #785 of 14,676
I'm a happy owner of HE6 + EF6 combo,

less than 2.500 I'm in,
more than 2.500 I'm out.

By the way, does anyone could tell me how the HE1000 sounds paired with EF6?

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #786 of 14,676
2500-3000 I'm in, more than that, at least not in the beginning...

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #788 of 14,676
I'm a happy owner of HE6 + EF6 combo,

less than 2.500 I'm in,
more than 2.500 I'm out.

By the way, does anyone could tell me how the HE1000 sounds paired with EF6?

I think it's already been mentioned that the he-1000 has been indicated to be $3000 with a possible limited edition version at $5000.

I think this maybe a "statement" model and that's perhaps why it may be so expensive?

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #789 of 14,676
If it's a statement model Fang may as well price it at $6k and stake his claim.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #791 of 14,676
  If it's a statement model Fang may as well price it at $6k and stake his claim.

Why follow along the path that is the disease of the ridiculously greedy Abyss pricing strategy?  Just because?

Strange.  I don't see Sennheiser asking $6k+ for their statement model.  Hell they don't even ask $2k+.

People should really stop supporting companies that want to gouge you just because they can.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #792 of 14,676

Why follow along the path that is the disease of the ridiculously greedy Abyss pricing strategy?  Just because?

Strange.  I don't see Sennheiser asking $6k+ for their statement model.  Hell they don't even ask $2k+.

People should really stop supporting companies that want to gouge you just because they can.

You, I, and whoever else might not agree with the price, whatever. Plenty find the Abyss completely worth it. 

The Orpheus did indeed sell for a buttload of money. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #793 of 14,676

Actually, you can't even buy Sennheisers statement model the Orpheus anymore and it cost way more expensive than the "Abyss" etc (something like over $15k when Sennheiser first released it as years ago).

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #794 of 14,676
Actually, you can't even buy Sennheisers statement model the Orpheus anymore and it cost way more expensive than the "Abyss" etc (something like over $15k when Sennheiser first released it as years ago).

Wow I had no idea Orpheus cost that much, so the He1000 is priced about right, for the segment of the audiophile community HIFIMAN wants to sell too.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #795 of 14,676

That was the Sennheiser statement model twenty years ago and "Orpheus" refers to the entire system.  The headphone, the HE90, and the amplifier, the HEV90.  You can't throw around the $15k figure because that would encompass the entire system.  We have been discussing the price of the HE1000 here so you can't compare the price of the Orpheus system, including amplifier, to the price of a headphone alone.  The current Sennheiser statement model is the HD800.

FWIW I purchased a new HE90 when Jan Meier talked Sennheiser in to doing that last special production run years ago.  IIRC it cost me around $5k.  Nowhere close to $15k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back